The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The studio is finished, treatment is in place! But how can I enhance my acoustics?

Hello there Gearslutz community!

Well, this is my first post here, and first of all I'd like to state that I did use the search function, as a matter of fact, I really did my homework, but some doubts appeared...

I recently founded an audio production company based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. My main focus is advertising, corporate content, web and TV. But actually at the moment I am grabbing anything that pops up, like music (nothing big, no bands or whole albums, I am actually planning to work in rap which is a really big thing here right now) and after some years playing around with it, last year I decided to take my voice overs and narrations seriously, which has been great for me.

This january I rented a small 23 square meters space and started designing the studio alongside an architect friend of mine. After a lot of researching I was able to figure out what I had to do to have something that could vaguely be called a studio. The renovations started in march and after long and tiring months it's over. To save costs I've done the treatment and finishing of the studio myself with help from friends and family, and we're finishing this week.

Regarding acoustics, I guess at the moment I got all the basics covered as much as possible.

The Room:

Length: 3.20m
Width: 2.17m
Height: 2.30

My idea was to have the best sounding space I could get in such dimensions. The room has mixed purpose, I'll be editing/mixing as well as recording in it, mostly narrators, actors and singers though I also plan to record musicians (one at a time) if the acoustics allow me to. No intention at all to record drums in there, I think my most unreal ambition is being able to record a brass trio.

The Treatment:

- Superchunks in all 4 corners, measuring 60cm on the sides and about 85cm across. Made from rockwool, 32kg/m^3;
- "mini superchunks" on the upper left and right corners, measuring 30cm on the sides and about 42cm across. Made from rockwool, 32kg/m^3;
- 50cm x 120cm absorber pannels on the side first reflection points. Two on each side. Made from rockwool, 32kg/m^3, 5cm thick, 5cm airgap;
- 50cm x 120cm absorber pannels on the ceiling first reflection points. Two above the mixing position. Made from rockwool, 32kg/m^3, 5cm thick, these ended up with about 10cm of airgap after hung;
- 80cm x 60cm absorber pannels on the ceiling's front and rear corners. Made from rockwool, 32kg/m^3, 5cm thick, these also ended up with about 10cm of airgap after hung. (Since I didn't have enough space for a bass trap on these points I chose this approach to try to tame the bass, positioning them practically touching the walls.

Here is a video of a while back, where all the panels are in place, so you can see their position:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFc...ature=youtu.be

I guess those are all the important specs, but if I left something out, please let me know.

The Questions:

01: As the attached photos show, my back wall is basically my door and the superchunks, no treatment has been planned for this area so far.

What I wanted to do is have a diffuser hanging on the door, to be specific the Arqen Leanfuser.

General consensus is that no diffusion should be used in such a small space, but as I've read the Leanfuser has been reported to perform well in listenning distances under 3m, and in my case I will be seated around 2.40m from said door, my theory is that it could help, but could also get in the way of my effort to get a "good" sounding room.

Should I place a Leanfuser on my door?
Would a single panel work? In all the cases I've seen it being used it was set in an array.

02: I now realise none of the photos i took earlier today show it well, but between my RFZ and the panel hanging from the ceiling over the door I have no treatment on either the ceiling or on the side walls and this is exactly the spot I plan on having actors stand while I seat on the desk.

I fear that more absorption could be harmful, since it could make the room sound dull. What should I do? I though about dual absorber/diffuser panels on the sides, hanging at a standing person's height, but I sincerely have no idea. And also I found little to no information on how to build such panels.

03: Now the last surface left is the front wall, heh. My air conditioner is hanging just bellow the ceiling panel, below that I intend to have a 32" TV (all I can get at ~90cm wide) and then... there's basically no space left for treatment. I think I could have maybe one panel at around table height but that's about it. Any suggestions? I'm concerned about SBIR for obvious spacial reasons.

Conclusion:

Phew, that was a lot. Thanks in advance if you read it this far, any clarifications are welcome! At this point I don't think I can get much more information by searching the internet, so I hope you guys can help me
Attached Thumbnails
What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?-21741573_1976801699243985_1430870816_n.jpg   What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?-21741603_1976801725910649_2025314789_n.jpg   What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?-21754276_1976801719243983_652531218_n.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would not use QRD style diffusion in this room, it's too small. Binary amplitude could be used quite effectively however.

This might help: Decoding Diffusion -
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys, here are some more detailed photos of the walls and ceiling around the spot in question, I guess it's easier to see what I mean now.

Another important info that I forgot to mention before, is that it bothers me a little that if I have a Leanfuser on my door, it will be like a meter from the spot where I intend to have actors stand, but they would be facing the other way (front of the room). This could be problematic as of generating interference, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL.GIK View Post
I would not use QRD style diffusion in this room, it's too small. Binary amplitude could be used quite effectively however.

This might help: Decoding Diffusion -
Thanks for your reply!

Is the Leanfuser a QRD? I did know that a QRD would not be adequate for my room, but i thought the Leanfuser was a fractal diffuser (maybe that's the same thing then)

I did not find much info on DIY binary amplitude diffusion panels, since I'm in Brazil, and both budget and time are key factors, importing panels is not an option.

I did read the article you linked and some subsequent ones on the GIK website, I found the scatter plate, which is exactly what I thought would be nice for the side walls on this spot: GIK Acoustics Scatter Plate

But once again, importing it is not an option, and I don't think the plans to your mathematically designed scatter plate is open source
So as enlightening as it was, it's not possible for me to use the GIK solutions.

And it's still not clear to me if the added absorption would be beneficial more than harmful.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?-21729187_1977013979222757_1528180454_n.jpg   What to do after taking care of all the main acoustic treatment points?-21729487_1977014042556084_765270325_n.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Proof of the pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lontra View Post
..And it's still not clear to me if the added absorption would be beneficial more than harmful.
A nice way to analyse room acoustics during construction is to measure.
Use REW. It’s free and and you only need a small active monitor and an USB (omni) microphone. Very handy. Upload the mdats here and we will help to interpret.

Another way to find out if the room is "good enough" is to start working. Record or mix in there and judge the result. That is a more difficult method IMHO

Regarding the (heavy, solid wood?)"leanfusor". It’s probably better than a flat door surface. But are the hinges strong enough?

Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search