The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cotton mattress as wall treatment?
Old 6th September 2017
Here for the gear

Cotton mattress as wall treatment?

My kid's old mattress is a fairly dense organic cotton, 2 layers x 2" each. See attached image.

Can I repurpose these as bass traps or early reflection absorption? Would this be inferior or superior to rock wool panels?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cotton mattress as wall treatment?-20170905_222413.jpg  
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmalik View Post
My kid's old mattress is a fairly dense organic cotton, 2 layers x 2" each. See attached image.

Can I repurpose these as bass traps or early reflection absorption? Would this be inferior or superior to rock wool panels?

Thanks!
that will work just fine for some absorption
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Ditto.

While waiting for the construction of my new stand alone facility to be completed, I've had to record some vox sessions here at the house... The deadest room in the whole house is my kids' room... Bunk beds as well as a single bed (three mattresses. I pulled the bottom mattress from the bunk bed and sat on a chair where the mattress had been using the mattress on the top bunk as a cloud.

Sounded great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

It would be a safer bet for bass trap use I think. As an RFZ panel, how reflective the front covering is at higher frequencies would become significant.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah they are looking quite good, It will help you in absorption I also use my old mattress for absorption and it work very well, but you can also make a bunk bed for your kid's room as well, and if you want to buy a new one you can check Nest Bedding coupons
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search