The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best place to put mixing area in this room?
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Best place to put mixing area in this room?

I've been working in this basement project studio space for quite a long time, and I've never been quite satisfied with the way I configure it. I'm hoping you all can help me figure out the optimal approach.

On the drawing below, the graph paper squares represent one foot (0.3m). So the room is roughly 20' x 13' (6m x 4m), plus the round space at the bottom right, which I use for storage. Ceiling height is 7' (2.1m). The dotted lines are rough stone foundation walls, and the solid lines are stud walls. The thin grey rectangles are doors (or, on the dotted line walls, small basement windows). The main entry door to the space is at bottom left. The large grey rectangle in the upper left is a built-in storage cubby for instrument cases and such. It has a narrow opening at JK; KA is a solid stud wall with the open storage area behind it.

I've always used this as a one-room studio, judging that there wasn't enough real estate for an isolated control room. However, I'm open to changing my mind on that. The live area is currently south of the line across from K to E, with the mixing area north of it, in the space defined by KABCDE.

My question is, assuming that I want to continue divvying the room this way (live south of KE, mixing north of it), which wall would be best to mix against? AK, AB, or BCDE? Or would it be better to flip the room and mix against IJ or EF and put the live area in the north half?

Very grateful for any and all advice. Radical suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by nightchef; 19th June 2017 at 03:00 AM..
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Not seeing a drawing?
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL.GIK View Post
Not seeing a drawing?
Wow, sorry, that's weird--it was showing when I first posted. I've changed the image address--hopefully it will work this time.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

OK, I see the drawing now. That's a tough room for sure. It's small and irregular, and the round section will introduce a lot of acoustics problems. I'd keep anything essential (monitoring or recording) out of that area unless you want the special effects recording in there would produce.

As far as monitoring, the only way to really know is to set things up in a few locations and listen/test. I'd be inclined to prefer facing AB or BCDE, whichever sounds better. There are arguments for both approaches.

No matter how you set up, treatment will be the most important thing. For bass trapping, because of the unusual shape of your room, this test will be useful:
Video Testing for Corner Bass Trap Placement - GIK Acoustics
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL.GIK View Post
OK, I see the drawing now. That's a tough room for sure. It's small and irregular, and the round section will introduce a lot of acoustics problems. I'd keep anything essential (monitoring or recording) out of that area unless you want the special effects recording in there would produce.

As far as monitoring, the only way to really know is to set things up in a few locations and listen/test. I'd be inclined to prefer facing AB or BCDE, whichever sounds better. There are arguments for both approaches.

No matter how you set up, treatment will be the most important thing. For bass trapping, because of the unusual shape of your room, this test will be useful:
Video Testing for Corner Bass Trap Placement - GIK Acoustics
Thank you, that's very helpful. Yes, definitely no recording or monitoring going on in the round area.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Reviving this thread after 2+ years--I was in mid-project when I posted the above, and the project lasted much longer than I expected. For this and other reasons, I'm only just now getting around to reconfiguring the room. It's currently empty, having just been repainted. So I have a possibly dumb question for James: Is it best to do the listening test in the video you linked to with the room empty, or should I move the bulk of the furniture, etc. back into it first? I'm guessing the former, but I wanted to make sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search