The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trying to find 1/2 inch and thicker laminated glass sheets.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Head

Trying to find 1/2 inch and thicker laminated glass sheets.

I want to build a studio window but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a site that has laminated glass sheets thicker than 1/4 inch. If anybody possibly has a link to someplace they have used online and were happy with, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 28th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Daniell View Post
I want to build a studio window but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a site that has laminated glass sheets thicker than 1/4 inch. If anybody possibly has a link to someplace they have used online and were happy with, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks
The local college's theater has a window wall made out of 3/4" glass in their control room that overlooks the theater. I am sure it was from a local supplier. Maybe try your local industrial glass suppliers. Here are some listed for various states Glass Manufacturing, Suppliers & Companies. I know here that Lorain Glass does a lot of large/thick windows for colleges and industrial customers.

FWIW
Old 28th May 2017
I don't think it's uncommon to double and triple up the thinner sheets too. gl
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The local college's theater has a window wall made out of 3/4" glass in their control room that overlooks the theater. I am sure it was from a local supplier. Maybe try your local industrial glass suppliers. Here are some listed for various states Glass Manufacturing, Suppliers & Companies. I know here that Lorain Glass does a lot of large/thick windows for colleges and industrial customers.

FWIW
Thank you! I'll check It out
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
I don't think it's uncommon to double and triple up the thinner sheets too. gl
I thought about that but I wasn't sure if it could possibly mess up the glass somehow.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Nut

My glass shop made me custom laminated glass by putting several
different layers of glass with different thicknesses and laminated them together.
Call around to local glass shops.
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winetree View Post
My glass shop made me custom laminated glass by putting several
different layers of glass with different thicknesses and laminated them together.
Call around to local glass shops.
If the laminating is not done correctly you can have some visual distortion and the glass layers can delaminate so be sure you choose a glass place with a good reputation and track record. Been there done that.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

There are so many studios being decommissioned/dismantled, you should be able to buy a complete studio window and frame for a fraction of what new, thick laminated glass will cost you from a glazier. I recently built a studio and my 2 main windows both came from decommissioned commercial studios. What cost me $300 would have cost me $6000 if I purchased new....
Old 5th June 2017
There are also places like this https://hgrinc.com/ that have all kinds of glass and sound proof doors at different times and sell them for a fraction of the new cost . I am sure you have something similar in your area.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Have 2 1/2" thick (laminates) on eBay

If you're still looking, this is great stuff! Make an offer!

Laminate acoustical glass 1/2" for recording studio, 2 sheets | eBay

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search