The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building a rehearsal studio within a Wearhouse
Old 26th February 2017
Here for the gear

Building a rehearsal studio within a Wearhouse

Hi all.

Please forgive any naivety here, this is my first post, i have done some scanning around but nothing has quite answered some of my questions...

Anyway, here goes...

Me and a good friend decided we wanted to start our own rehearsal business, and figured this may be a good place to get some assistance on a few things.

Our plan is to build around 5 rooms within an empty warehouse (along with a few other rooms for storage etc but that is an afterthought). We would like to know if anyone has gone down this route before and is able to kindly offer any advice on costs, complications and any difficult issues they didn't foresee.

We understand about the necessities required, soundproofing, isolation, electrics etc but naturally we aren't builders ourselves so will require the bulk of this done professionally.

Our budget for starting this up, is approx. 40/50k - this is to cover the building of the rooms, equipment, and all other accessories needed.

So in a nutshell, my main question is regarding the building of these rooms. What sort of cost we are looking per room - ideally we are thinking along the lines of wood frames, the concept of a room within a room with soundproofing inside.

Any help is greatly appreciated

**Update - We are UK (London) based**

Chris
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Addict

You need to Double your budget realistically.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Head
Make sure you look into zoning and permit regulations in the municipality you plan to set up in. A lot of cities are cracking down on mixed use warehouse spaces since the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland last year. Even if 40-50k is all you need, that's still a big pile of loot to lose on a zoning beef.
Old 27th February 2017
You need to check the fire code with the local AHJ. If you build isolated rooms, and you expect people in there, you mite have to add fire alarms and sprinklers both to the outside and inside of those rooms. That could very well eat up a tidy little sum.

I presume you have customers lined up.

Here in Atlanta GA I have seen several air conditioned storage facilities turned into little art colonies. It can get pretty noisy in there when more than one band is going. I helped my buddies set up a room in that facility. The rooms were 12' high and the building was 24 feet. The walls and ceilings were formidable (think security). The walls were insulated and the ceiling tops had 24" or more fiberglass . The rooms each had separate electrical service panel and submetering and their own air conditioners and space heaters running from that subpanel.

Here is something to consider also. From what I saw, most of the units had at least one person living in them. One bathroom in the entire place boys and girls. Lots of hankey pankey yall.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Here is something to consider also. From what I saw, most of the units had at least one person living in them. One bathroom in the entire place boys and girls. Lots of hankey pankey yall.
As someone who had to deal with a bedbug infestation at home last year, this paragraph made me... itchy.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear
i don't know if 50k is gonna go very far, especially if you're not doing the work yourselves.

i know you want answers but i have questions: you already own the building? how big is it? one floor or more? where are you located? are there sprinklers/fire alarms/etc in there already?
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
i don't know if 50k is gonna go very far, especially if you're not doing the work yourselves.

i know you want answers but i have questions: you already own the building? how big is it? one floor or more? where are you located? are there sprinklers/fire alarms/etc in there already?

Cheers for the feedback!

I should have stated we are UK based - We plan on renting this on a lease basis, understandably there are risk involved, a lot of the places we have looked at already come with a lot of the necessary requirements and regulations, but of course we need to research more to make sure everything is above board. We are both long term studio-users, and have checked out the studios we use and other such studios so have a rough idea of what is needed but we understand lots of research is still needed, i must add these are still early days.

We would only like the rooms built professionally (and of wood), but as for everything else cosmetic, we would do that ourselves, and we have a lot of handy friends (plumbers etc) who are willing to help.
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
You need to check the fire code with the local AHJ. If you build isolated rooms, and you expect people in there, you mite have to add fire alarms and sprinklers both to the outside and inside of those rooms. That could very well eat up a tidy little sum.

I presume you have customers lined up.

Here in Atlanta GA I have seen several air conditioned storage facilities turned into little art colonies. It can get pretty noisy in there when more than one band is going. I helped my buddies set up a room in that facility. The rooms were 12' high and the building was 24 feet. The walls and ceilings were formidable (think security). The walls were insulated and the ceiling tops had 24" or more fiberglass . The rooms each had separate electrical service panel and submetering and their own air conditioners and space heaters running from that subpanel.

Thank you for this reply.

We are still considering properties, there is still the likelihood of a place to show up that is already a complex of some sort (Multiroom complex with already rooms built and all that). A warehouse isn't the be all end all of our project, we are looking for the perfect place basically.

What we are mainly after here is if anyone has had experience with building rooms within a building and what the costs implications were.

Yes we have a current small client base that are interested in what we are planning, as we play in bands ourselves and quite involved in the music scene were we live (London, UK) So we are confident we can get the ball rolling with customers. Understandably i'm not sure how the regulations differ between here and the US, i should have stated in the original post that we are based in England.
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys, be interested to know how you got on with your project a couple of years on? I am looking to do the exact same thing in Kent, UK.

Cheers
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys, be interested to know how you got on with your project a couple of years on? I am looking to do the exact same thing in Kent, UK.

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search