The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing what Room Mode to Correct (Placement + Treatment)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Choosing what Room Mode to Correct (Placement + Treatment)

I've been analyzing my room quite a bit to figure out where my best placement is, and where I need to/how much bass trapping I need.

My room is 20 x 11 x 7. I've done testing in many positions, and have sorted out my main problem areas dependent on placement.

78 Hz is the main floor to ceiling crossover mode based on my monitor stands and listening height. I will deal with this with traps and absorption panels. (combo of rockwool fluffy and 703) . That is, there is a big dip at 78hz.

From wall reflection I can choose from a dip anywhere between 55 to 85 hz, depending on my placement in relation to the front wall.

My question is, which frequency would be easier to deal with by acoustically treating?

Should I set it up in the 78 hz position, and treat for 78hz all around? Or have two different room modes to tackle with two different types of treatments?

Is there any difference? Is my room too small for any of this to matter, do I just need to do broadband low freq absorption?

Thanks, and If there is a thread that already discusses this, I'll be happy to close, but I couldn't find this question anywhere.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchardkevin4 View Post
I've been analyzing my room quite a bit to figure out where my best placement is, and where I need to/how much bass trapping I need.

My room is 20 x 11 x 7. I will deal with this with traps and absorption panels. (combo of rockwool fluffy and 703) . That is, there is a big dip at 78hz.

From wall reflection I can choose from a dip anywhere between 55 to 85 hz, depending on my placement in relation to the front wall.

well first no rock wool u can fit is going to absorb 55hz or 78hz or even 85hz that you would need something like a membrane absorber or a helmholtz resonator

a 55hz sine wave is 20feet long not to mention a 7 foot ceiling is to short... u see mode tend to give problem one octave above... my advice get something broad band for 100hz and lower then test over again...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I would at least start with broadband absorption to get most of the heavy lifting done. Then, if necessary, you can use tuned absorbers or other techniques to target any remaining trouble spots.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Free Lunch

You may be able to invert your speakers to place your woofer somewhat away from that null. Or will they work horizontally? Woofers in or Woofers out? Or work standing up....;-) I'm kidding but some GS here have actually opted for that. Perhaps it is way healthier. I used to stand and move about a lot in the days of Analogue desks and Racks of outboard.
I think the best way to choose speaker and listener positions is to measure all possibilities. But I would start with the speakers pretty much touching the Front Wall. This often minimises that BIR issue for a start.
DD
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search