The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Add a sub instead of even more bass trapping to even out freq response?
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
If you find the need for a high x-over (due to SBIR related to floor) then place subs under (or at least close to under) the mains. If not, at least close to front wall:

1.0.0 can be nuked by DSP assuming somewhat treated and sweet spot not close to the nodal line: How to tame a resonance at 22hz
Hey Jens,

thanks for the response. With one sub I was thinking about putting two GIK Monster Bass Traps in the front corners (against the side walls as the offset window makes placing stuff a bit complicated in the right corner). Do you think I could cut that down to two 244-absorbers or the like if I add a second sub?
I do have the obvious SBIR-dips in the 80Hz region. So I'd have to cross over above that. Should I place the subs at 1/4 and 3/4 to cancel SBIR-dips on the subs or is this "taken care of" by the coupling of the subs?
And how about the 0.0.1 at 68Hz which is also my 2.0.0? Do you think it would be sufficient to put two Monster Bass Traps on the ceiling against the front wall above the speakers and another two at the back wall against the ceiling?

OT: Any ideas how I could even out L-R-ballance in the 200-300 Hz region (right side has window, left side concrete wall...)?

Cheers, Peer
Attached Thumbnails
Add a sub instead of even more bass trapping to even out freq response?-img_20200109_115542.jpg  
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

I don´t see a reason to cut back on treatment. Treat as much area with as thick treatment as possible (to a sane limit naturally, but 0,5-0,6 m is not overkill, at least not for rear wall. 0,3 -0,4 m might be enough for sidewalls).

If ready made products are too expensive to do the job; build it yourself. It´s not rocket science, especially if not pressure based absorbers but just broadband velocity based absorbers.

As for the other questions, you really need to experiment and measure to know for sure.
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you find the need for a high x-over (due to SBIR related to floor) then place subs under (or at least close to under) the mains. If not, at least close to front wall:

1.0.0 can be nuked by DSP assuming somewhat treated and sweet spot not close to the nodal line: How to tame a resonance at 22hz
Hey jens those visualizations in the link look great, i was wondering what you used to make them?
Old 9th January 2020
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Hey guys,

I have an issue that I think is probably related to this thread.

My room is 6m wide by 4.25m deep. I have 3 windows spaced equally along one of the long sides. My desk and speakers and located at that side of the room, shooting back towards the other long side of the room. I was recommended this setup by a pro acoustician, because although it goes against the “aim speakers down the length of the room” theory, the concern was a lack of symmetry due to the windows.

Anyway, I digress.

The room is moderately treated. It is both a writing/tracking and “rough” mixing room, so the sound doesn’t want to be completely dead, but as free of anyone frequency dips as possible. I have corner bass traps floor to ceiling in each corner of the room. Deep absorbers directly behind the two speakers, bass traps on the back wall, 12 absorbers on the ceiling, absorbers and diffusers on the side walls. So it’s pretty well treated but not scientifically nailed down. All GIK stuff.

It is also a wood floor (on top of concrete).

Only other thing to mention is that the computer monitor is directly between the two speakers, about 2 feet behind the computer monitor there is a window.

I have been working in my room now for 9 months using Genelec 8341 speakers, and although it sounds decent, I do find that I’m lacking clarity in the bass end. Plenty of thud but not much note, if that makes sense. I have used the GLM software but it’s making it all sound a bit lifeless.

So I’m wondering if I should be focusing my attention on:

1) different speakers. The Genelecs get rave reviews pretty much everywhere you read, but I’m not convinced they’re working in my room.

2) adding a Genelec sub / subs to help bring back some of those low frequencies.

3) more room treatment. The only areas I could realistically focus on without completely butchering my room would be the “soffits”. Currently they are just right angles, so some bass traps could potentially go in there. Other options for treatment could be the floor (more rugs) and also the window behind the computer monitor (possible first reflection point?) which I could potentially cover with a deep / bass absorber.

Would love to get some opinions on what people think would be the best route forward for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don´t see a reason to cut back on treatment.
I have some treatment in place now - nowhere near as much as you would want in a single use mixing room, but a compromise that seems to make sense for my room. Pictures and measurements are here. There are two Tri Traps against the back wall / ceiling that are not in the picture.

With this data, do you think a second sub would be good? The single sub seems to perform worse then the O110s between 50 and 200Hz, but the 0-1-0-mode is not the main issue. I put the tops on the floor at 1/4 and 3/4 from the side wall to have a quick impression, but got severe dips similar to the centered single sub.

Cheers, Peer
Old 12th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto85 View Post
I have been working in my room now for 9 months using Genelec 8341 speakers, and although it sounds decent, I do find that I’m lacking clarity in the bass end. Plenty of thud but not much note, if that makes sense. I have used the GLM software but it’s making it all sound a bit lifeless.
GLM aims for flat which can make things a bit boring. However, you can have GLM use a "house curve" (not the house music) to bring up the bass somewhat.

Or manually reduce any attenuation in the bass by 1-2 dB.

With GLM, you can save and recall any settings so play with a few.

The "thud but not much note" bass is probably a combination of holes in the bass + slow decay.

Can you measure your room and post the Room EQ Wizard .mdat?

Last edited by johannburkard; 12th February 2020 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: ++

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search