The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will thse bass traps do the job?
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Will thse bass traps do the job?

Hey guys

Looking to order some of these bass traps as they have good local distribution and seem to suit the application well enough.

Will these do the trick for corners of the room and reflection points? Room is a cube so just need loads of bass trapping!

Im trying to keep my costs down whilst not ruining the actual purpose of the treatments and these are a nice price point

CM Acoustics - CM486 Bass Trap / Broadband Absorber

Cheers
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Bump!
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Guru

They look like normal 4" DIY panels to me. If you are low on funds and can't afford something a bit better then build your own.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
They look like normal 4" DIY panels to me. If you are low on funds and can't afford something a bit better then build your own.
which GIK product are they comparative with in terms of cost and size? (can get them for about £65 each free delivery)
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
which GIK product are they comparative with in terms of cost and size? (can get them for about £65 each free delivery)
We don't have just a framed up DIY panel like that, but something similar would be our 244 which is 74 pounds with VAT. You can always pick them up at our UK factory if you want to save on shipping. Needless to say we also give free shipping for any others over 1000 pounds which is pretty easy to get to if you are fully doing the room. If you do go with the 244 you might want to contact us to figure out if maybe you might want to use the limiter in some of them to retain upper energy in the room. See more here.
FlexRange Technology - GIK Acoustics Europe

If you need more info please email. I really try not to talk about our direct products on GS. Mostly I am here to help with general acoustic questions and some DIY help.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
We don't have just a framed up DIY panel like that, but something similar would be our 244 which is 74 pounds with VAT. You can always pick them up at our UK factory if you want to save on shipping. Needless to say we also give free shipping for any others over 1000 pounds which is pretty easy to get to if you are fully doing the room. If you do go with the 244 you might want to contact us to figure out if maybe you might want to use the limiter in some of them to retain upper energy in the room. See more here.
FlexRange Technology - GIK Acoustics Europe

If you need more info please email. I really try not to talk about our direct products on GS. Mostly I am here to help with general acoustic questions and some DIY help.
Cheers ill look in to it, im intending to do my treatment in stages just for cost purposes, so im looking at purchasing in waves hence no free shipping. Where is the factory?
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Guru

GIK Acoustics Europe
Unit A Perseverance Mills | Giles Street
Bradford, UKBD6 3HS UK
Contact - GIK Acoustics
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Guru
Depth

The CM's are 5 inches deep, but I don't see a statement as to what depth of fibre is in there. GIK products are fully described on their website.
DD
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

I'm also currently looking at cmacoustics and GIK for broadband absorbers. GIK comes highly rated, but I've heard very little about CM. Does anyone have any expirence dealing with them?

Price wise the GIK244 costs about £89 delivered in the UK, and the CM486 costs £70 delivered (£67 when brought 8+).

They both use 100mm of insulation, both use Knauf ecose (CM said they use 45kg/m3 , GIK wouldn't disclose).

I'm guessing the performance would be simmilar, but can anyone advise to the build quality and if it would be worth it to pay extra for GIK?
Old 21st May 2019
Here for the gear

I just wanted to update this thread as someone with experience of both manufacturers to let prospective buyers know that the CM panel frames are made of MDF/particleboard. GIK panels are made from plywood which is more durable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search