The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally Treating My Room, Any Advice Would Be Appreciated !! Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 23rd July 2016
Finally Treating My Room, Any Advice Would Be Appreciated !!

hey acousticians

like the title says i'm finally treating my room. i've been reading and researching for a while and feel its best to get the ball rolling but i'm kind of stumbling in the dark here.

so far i built 8 simple 2' x 4' acoustic panels out of 3" roxul safe n' sound, my next phase is 8 more of the same (fairly easy to build) then do the corners with 6" deep roxul bass traps

i'm doing this partially for mixing, i have a small room and mixing isn't ideal now, plus i record vocals in there and it also sounds bad. so far the panels I put around my mic area have really helped and even just playing music seems clearer and more detailed.

any advice would be welcome, even if it totally flies in the face of what i'm doing! thanks
Old 23rd July 2016
here's a sketch up pic of my studio and where the panels are now:

link to the sketch up file if you're interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vdc9i0chw...tudio.skp?dl=0

here is a rough drawing of my room size:

so here are my "before" room measurements from 12/2015:

here are the sound absorption coefficients from the roxul safe n' sound marketing materials:

Old 23rd July 2016
this is my initial panel design and placement experiment

I was inspired by a simple, cheap DIY approach i'd seen here a couple years ago. this is how i build my initial 8 basic 2' x 4' panels:

my fabric roll was 5' tall so I measured 6" in on each end. wide I measured 38" total with 7" in on each end:

kept the material face down, put a rock wool batt on it then put a 2' x 4' hard board panel on top:

put 2 sided indoor carpet tape on the top and bottom first, pulled the material over and then did the same to the sides. the tape was one width in from the edges and went all the way top to bottom. one roll of tape only did 4 bats and the idea of using so much was it would help seal them and contain the dust:

they were roughly in the right shape. I then pulled the fabric a little tighter and tried to clean up the corners shifting the material and cleaning up excess with scissors. I stapled everything in place and made hangers from spare wire I had around the house. from there I sewed up the corners to keep the dust inside:

I measured out the room in advance and roughly had an idea where I wanted to hang them. I wanted to place them to cover my speakers initial reflections (45" on centre from the ground) and my mouth/mic (64.5" from the ground). so I put the wall anchors 66.5" up and that seemed to cover both:

Old 24th July 2016
Gear Guru

Couple of points.

1)Generally for the side walls you want to use 4" so I would have made all the panels 6" deep.
2)Facing the long wall is going to cause a lot of nulls and peaks with the wall behind you being closer.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/positioning-listening-spot/
3)Great idea on 6" for corners. Cover as many as possible. Basically the more corner area covered the better.
Old 25th July 2016
for 2) i could try rotating my desk. it would be a herculean effort but it could really make a difference. watching the video you can see a pretty big difference just in an untreated room

i'll also measure 38% off the wall for my speaker placement and see if that's feasible with my door, etc. i have an ikea jerker desk (lol) and the speaker stands can swivel

(this is an older picture from last summer some things have moved around a bit)

i'm not totally clear on the waterfall charts at the end of the video. i'd like to make some of those and found you're article very useful !

Understanding Decay Time and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics

thanks for the input glenn !
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
i'm not totally clear on the waterfall charts at the end of the video. i'd like to make some of those and found you're article very useful !
Let us know what is not clear about waterfall graphs (understanding decay times). IMO it is just as important, if not more important than frequency response.
Old 16th August 2016
i got 3 more super dense bass traps for corners off of the local kijiji

its 4" of rock board foam at 8 lb/ft3:
ROXUL ROCKBOARD® | Acoustic & Thermal Insulation Board

so now my corners are pretty much covered. i might get a diffuser/cloud thing for over head

the room sounds much better than it did but i might still do the whole desk rotation thing

Old 3rd May 2017
it took like 10 months but i just rearranged my lil studio

https://instagram.com/p/BTngjbXApym/

it's "length wise" now instead of "width wise" which is supposed to halp?

so far boards of canada still sounds pretty good...

i'll have to do a real listen when the dust settles
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search