The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calculating Reverberation Time and Treatment for Room
Old 19th July 2016
Here for the gear

Calculating Reverberation Time and Treatment for Room

I am trying to calculate the reverb time for this room and then decide what materials to use to treat it. My reverberation target time is 0.3 seconds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016-07-19 11-27.pdf (612.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Guru

Calculating the reverb time really is not going to work in a room that small. Generally that is used for much larger rooms. Keep in mind that we are working on low end decay and mostly early reflections. Calculating the RT really is not going to solve that. If you just want to use RT60 then fine, but if the room is for mixing or mastering you are going to be greatly disappointed, IMO.
Old 19th July 2016
Here for the gear

This is not a room I am going to use as a mix or mastering room. This is simply a project I was given that I am supposed to calculate and then treat. I am confused on what to do and was wondering if any of you guys could help me. This is for school that my instructor made up and expects us to do but he did not explain very well on what to do.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upper View Post
I am confused on what to do and was wondering if any of you guys could help me.
What is confusing you? The assignment is clearly step by step. Your query is vague. What acoustic related texts do you have or have access to?

Andre
Old 20th July 2016
Here for the gear

I am not sure on how to calculate all axial room modes, find modal spacing for all modes, and then notate any anomalies. Now, arrange in ascending order I get and I am pretty clear on the rest. The first part is just tripping me up. Any tips would be greatly appreicated!
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upper View Post
I am not sure on how to calculate all axial room modes, find modal spacing for all modes, and then notate any anomalies.
The equation is shown approximately 2/3 of the way down in Modes. There is a start for a spreadsheet cell equation below it. For the spacing, create a new column where the previous frequency is subtracted from the current one.

Anomalies is a not defined acoustic value. I am guessing that what is wanted is a list of modes that are duplicates in frequency. IOW where the frequency spacing is 0.

Have great success!

Andre
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

When I studied this, we had to calculate all the modes by hand, pencil on paper, long-form math (we were allowed a calculator, thank goodness). A spreadsheet would have been heaven. I also had to walk 10 miles through the snow to get to school, but that's another story...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search