The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Air purifier for sealed room...?
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Air purifier for sealed room...?

My recording room is completely sealed, save for two small holes - one sealed around a snake+HDMI cable, and one bringing in the copper pipe/water drain pipe for the high-wall split air-conditioning unit. The area around the room is relatively noisy and I could not compromise isolation with a ventilation system.

As expected, it is oppressive. I have ventilation in my control room (which leads into the recording area), and I leave the doors between them open every once in a way for some mild relief...

What kind of air purifier am I looking for under these circumstances? Is there a passive method (charcoal/cacti/coffee beans/silica gel etc.) that has worked for anyone? Or should I consider some powered unit such as this Daikin air purifier?

Where I live is usually extremely hot and humid - the room in question is about 130 sq. ft. x 9' high.
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Maniac

An air purifier isn't going to do anything, you need fresh air. If you make proper baffles then sound isolation shouldn't be badly compromised.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

ou812
Old 19th July 2016
I would also highly recommend the use of a de-humidifier. In a sealed room humidity and condensation can rapidly form, specially with air temperature differences inside and outside the room. As you probably know, these factors can wreak havoc on electronic components and other surfaces causing corrosion, rust, and mold. These machines can be noisy but can be run after hours when the studio is not in use.

I can't really comment on an air purifiers, they do work and reduce air dust significantly. I used to use a Sonic Breeze Quadra but after 5 years it malfunctioned. There are others but I'm not familiar with other brands.

I use a dehumidifier to protect my gym equipment. The air stays dry and keeps mold and condensation from forming.

Here are the dehumidifiers I use. I have two of them in my basement.

Winix 50 Pint Dehumidifier WDH851

Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

It took me a while to realise that HVAC needs splitting into H_AC and _V__ as modern mini-split ACs include H (heating) plus cooling and dehumidifying, which were not obvious to someone who had never had an AC before, and as these are ductless units no fresh air is involved which means that V (ventilation) needs to be addressed separately.
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

I was going to recommend Photosynthesis, but I don't think his studio room is large enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search