The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New studio - how best to arrange?
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Maniac

New studio - how best to arrange?

I'm moving into a new (bigger) studio space next week and am after some advice as to how best to arrange my monitoring position.

My old space was around 180sqft, the new space is around 400sqft (please see attachment for floorplan).

My main question is; which position (1 or 2) is the best for my desk? I know that is general practice to set up your monitors facing the long axis of the room (this would be position 1) but would it matter in this case as the room is large?

The room has kitchen units fitted at the end of the room, so position 1 risks sound bouncing off them and creating unwanted rattling, etc.

I think ideally, i'd build a wall to section off the kitchen area, but I'm looking for a solution that would enable me to get away with not doing this. Another thought would be to use freestanding bass trap/panels to section off the room, would this be effective? If so, where is the best place to buy large ones?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
New studio - how best to arrange?-screen-shot-2016-07-17-11.48.23.jpg  
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Bump

Anyone got any thoughts?
Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear

Spot 1, looks better but in any room like this if you have the opportunity I would test any potential positions using REW software -
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics

In general you do want to face the short wall like position 1 but you also want symmetry. If your drawing is to scale it look like that will not be achieved there hence the recommendation to test.
A little more about setting up your room correctly can be found here -
Basics of Room Setup - GIK Acoustics Europe
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Maniac

My drawing is not to scale and I am aware that symmetry should be obtained if possible, thank you for your comments and links!

I'll be using them!
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrigbeey View Post

I think ideally, i'd build a wall to section off the kitchen area, but I'm looking for a solution that would enable me to get away with not doing this. Another thought would be to use freestanding bass trap/panels to section off the room, would this be effective? If so, where is the best place to buy large ones?

Using the DIY Wing and Varitune freestanding modules it´s possible to quickly set up a mix/recording ”bubble*” in the direction that best suits you.
Paradise Studio is a perfect example how to set up the Startkit. Björn prefered the transparent wings on top of the tuneable Varitunes to keep the view.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9146186-post39.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9163124-post49.html

Its even possible to add modules up to a complete freestanding ”bubble” with a ceiling resting on the walls.
Picture 1

Best Matts

Last edited by diffusor.com; 18th July 2016 at 11:35 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search