The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
diffuser in small 3x3m ish room?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Nut

diffuser in small 3x3m ish room?

Hi everyone

I've just moved to a different mixing/composing studio room, and build a set of wall panels and corner bass traps, to discover that the sound in the room is absolutely fantastic - not something I was expecting from such a small almost-square room.

I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact that there are sections on the ceiling which have a very large area filled with insulation/rock wool (quite a large amount as far as I know), which would basically behave like a big bass trap... among other factors.

Anyway, I've managed to achieve a great sound I'm happy with, without using any form of absorption above my head, and just two panels at first relfection points on my sides, plus corner traps and one at the back of the room/

What I'm wondering, is instead of adding more - which I don't feel I need, would it be worth building or adding some sort of diffuser now that I have managed to get a good controlled sound, and still have room in many places, for example at the first ceiling reflection point?

I've heard that in a small room diffusers aren't recommended, but wondering if it's worth it if you have a good sound, and have the space left without needing more absorption?

Thanks a lot
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Nut

Forgot to mention, ceiling is about 2.8m
Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear

Have you done any testing on the room? May be worth doing so,

That said if you are happy with the sound and your mixes are translating well do you need to add anything?
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search