The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Locating Room Modes/ Maximum Pressure
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Locating Room Modes/ Maximum Pressure

Hi folks,

I'm about to go about installing two large limp mass membrane bass traps on my back wall and was hoping for some guidance before I start the process as I want to get this right.. I realise this is a slightly precarious situation in that even if the boxes are built well, without being placed just right for the incident waves they may do very little or nothing.
I have used an online room mode calculator to determine the problem modes.. sure enough after running REW, they show up.
Now that I know what I am chasing, my question is in regard to finding exactly where these waves are happening and where on the walls they are hitting, if I can find these points my thinking is to centre the membranes at their maximum pressure points.
How can I achieve this process without the use of an SPL meter?? Is there a sure fire way of finding these points? I do have some DPA omni mics that could help here..
Thanks for reading and appreciate any input on the matter!
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

If you know what modes they are, then you will already know in theory where they will be at highest pressure. To verify, I use a sine generator (in my DAW) playing the modal frequency, and walk around the room to hear the peaks and nulls. For absolute accuracy, you could use an SPL meter to verify areas of highest pressure, but I find my ears are accurate enough in this case. With the axial modes, it's really no mystery where their pressure zones lie, however.
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I could just complete what DPower says. With the axial modes, the whole wall involved, so the position should be flexible.
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Guru

If the problem is forward to back then cover as much of the back wall as possible. You won't nail it with just on 2'x4' panel.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Nice built in tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter View Post
.... How can I achieve this process without the use of an SPL meter?? Is there a sure fire way of finding these points? I do have some DPA omni mics that could help here..
You've got excellent SPL meter, Generator and also FFT and RTA meters included in REW. Try them, they are really fun!

OK, you don't get absolute levels but you can compare levels easily.
And if you adjust the calibration for normal speech at 1 ft for approx 70 dB SPL your in the ball park.

Cheers

Voice Level and Distance
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search