The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Height of Bass Traps/panels?
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

Height of Bass Traps/panels?

Hi there,

I'm doing a little bit of work on a room that I'm doing quite a lot of work out of, that has been treated in the past (before I worked here).

It sounds ok at best, but I believe what little treatment is in the room is too high.

Would you suggest ALL treatment should be placed at ear/monitor height initially, with further bass trapping added in the corners above and below this height if needed?

For reference, the room is roughly 340cm wide x 420cm deep x 320cm tall- so fairly close to a cube. In feet, that's roughly 11'w x 14'd x 10' h.

Some photos attached below.

Alternatively, there are some spare acoustic panels that I pulled out the room as they are quite reflective on the front surface, and I felt the room was too reverberant in the mids and highs with them in the space. The rear surface is plastic covered fibreglass- do you think it would be worth covering these with material and using as bass traps in the corners?
These are approx 61cmx 180cm (2' x 6') and a few inches thick, with a sturdy aluminium frame. As you can see the front does have slots cut in it, but they are quite reflective, particularly in a small room, hence why I removed them.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Height of Bass Traps/panels?-main-view.jpg   Height of Bass Traps/panels?-left-wall.jpg   Height of Bass Traps/panels?-rear-wall.jpg  
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

Apologies all of the pics are upside down... not quite sure why!
Pics of the panels here.
Attached Thumbnails
Height of Bass Traps/panels?-panel-front.jpg   Height of Bass Traps/panels?-panel-rear.jpg  
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
Hi there,

I'm doing a little bit of work on a room that I'm doing quite a lot of work out of, that has been treated in the past (before I worked here).

It sounds ok at best, but I believe what little treatment is in the room is too high.

Would you suggest ALL treatment should be placed at ear/monitor height initially, with further bass trapping added in the corners above and below this height if needed?

For reference, the room is roughly 340cm wide x 420cm deep x 320cm tall- so fairly close to a cube. In feet, that's roughly 11'w x 14'd x 10' h.

Some photos attached below.

Alternatively, there are some spare acoustic panels that I pulled out the room as they are quite reflective on the front surface, and I felt the room was too reverberant in the mids and highs with them in the space. The rear surface is plastic covered fibreglass- do you think it would be worth covering these with material and using as bass traps in the corners?
These are approx 61cmx 180cm (2' x 6') and a few inches thick, with a sturdy aluminium frame. As you can see the front does have slots cut in it, but they are quite reflective, particularly in a small room, hence why I removed them.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Yes you are right in your thinking. None of the first reflection points are covered etc. The corner traps can stay up in the corners but actual panels need to be at ear / monitor height -
Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search