The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to build a room of rigid fiberglass within a room
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

How to build a room of rigid fiberglass within a room

Hi there

I have a single garage that I want to use for recording music and mixing. I want to build a room made of rigid (or not so rigid) fiberglass within the garage to treat it and leave some space behind the rigid fiberglass to give me better absorption. The idea is to basically build a room within a room but have the walls and ceiling decoupled and made from fiberglass. Can anyone help me by pointing me to a place the instructs on how to do this? Would you build the walls and ceiling with studs like you would for drywall but then just not put the sheets on and just leave the studs and fiberglass exposed with some fabric over it? I want to make my room completely dry as I can't see any bare walls doing me any good due to the bad dimensions of my garage.

thank you!
Old 15th July 2016
Here for the gear

This might not be exactly what you are after, but I am currently in the process of building a home studio / garage conversion made from timber stud construction with mineral wool (fibreglass) insulation. [I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that have done what I am doing!]

Before I put the plasterboard up I had exposed fibreglass insulation friction fitted between the studs including 100mm ceiling "joists", which created an extremely dead acoustic inside the space, even with an exposed concrete floor. At this stage you could theoretically cover the exposed walls with some sort of material (and hope you never fall into them and push the insulation out of the studs...).
However, at that stage without the double layer of gypsum plasterboard and green glue, there was not very good sound "proofing" as I could still hear overhead planes coming into the room. So if you are concerned with sound escaping the garage or coming in from the outside, I would suggest doing a bit more than just decoupling the studs.

Is the existing garage space built out of masonry?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search