The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using a Studiodesk Music Commander?
Old 17th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Anyone using a Studiodesk Music Commander?

Hi,

I´ve stumbled upon some ads from a company that calls itself "studiodesk" and makes desks optimized for music production environments. I know that many people assemble their desks themselves because it is cheaper but I am not that good at practical work and I really like the studiodesk-design and its apparent functionality so I am willing to pay the price IF it really holds its promises.

The reason I am starting a thread here is that I have found no neutral reviews of the desk, only a few affiliates and semi-affiliates raving about it and few customer pictures from people having it.

So my questions to the people using it (or knowing someone who uses it):
- Is it solid and of good build quality?
- Is it pretty straightforward to build up and needs no additional pieces (read about a customer who said he had to install some more screws for stability)?
- Is it as functional and ergonomic to use as it looks?
- Generally, is there a catch?

It looks really nice and professional but it somehow makes me sceptical that it is advertised so aggressively, yet there are few neutral opinios of it around.

Thanks to everybody who shares his opinion
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear

I'm not using it but as a carpenters son I can say that it's looking good but not designed by carpenters. Cheap materials and cheap fittings. No carpenter ever will use those L shaped metal fittings for construction only for strengthening existing ones. The price must reflect that nice shiny 'piano' finish (which can gather fingerprints quite quick imho). It might be really comfortable but the engineering is not really pro.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi thanks for the answer, I have already bought the desk like half a year ago, but your comment is pretty spot on. Basically I do not really regret having bought it because in fact it looks nice, is pretty comfortable (except for the fact that the pc-screen is very high) if you put it on the top panel) and it offers a lot of space. The fitting is in fact a bit disappointing, and they deliver and that metal thing they deliver for "extra resistance" under high pressure can't be mounted in my case because the holes in the wooden part aren't drilled precisely. The piano finish also, as you say, easily shows fingerprints, but with a little bit of cleaning it is worth it. So basically the desk stands, one can work well with it and it looks nice, but for the build quality they deliver the price is too high.

Maybe this review can help someone else who may be interested in this desk.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

How do you like your musicdesk so far? I am trying to decide between the "beat" / music comm / virtuoso models...prices are on the high side and ordering online so trying to make sure to get the one that most comfortable and fit enough gear (home studio).
Does the screen angle works okay or still hung your neck up like most desk does? can you fit a computer screen angled on the lower platform?

Thank You!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

At the moment I have it set up like in the attached picture. The higher platform is too high, the lower platform is okay. If you have other gear that needs the same space like me it is also ok if you make the screen a bit higher (like with a book for example, or better if your screen allows to be put higher).

However for me the higher panel behind the screen is useless/wasted space so if I could go back I would take a model which has the higher panel only over the rack spaces, where you can put your monitor-speakers, but not in the middle where your computer-screen is located. The Beat-Line if I saw correctly has it that way. I haven`t quite understood how the Virtuoso-Line is made in that regard but should also be ok.

Furthermore IMO the MIDI-keyboard-table in the commander series is too low, probably they made it this way to fit all keyboard sizes but it should be higher in order for studio-monitors and pc-screen not beeing to high. I have mounted some wheels under the feet of the desk to gain 5cm and now it is alright.

The last thing that at this price really shouldn't be are the imprecisions. I have succeeded to fill up 7 of the 8 rackspaces with gear and one with a panel (which sometime will be replaced by some rack-gear) but it was always a bit of a struggle to get new equipment mounted.

For the rest everything is okay. It stands solid, looks good (except for me easily making the white surface dirty) and offers a lot of space. I`m not sure if I would pay the same amount again for that desk but once set up with a few workarounds I can work comfortably with it.

If you decide to go with StudioDesk I do not recommend the commander. If you don't have a 88-key MIDI I would get the Beat and you should be fine except for the imprecisions in the build but maybe I just got delivered a bit of a faulty one and other ones are fine.

So to sum up, would I get it again: At a lower price YES, at this price MAYBE but I would look also for other desks.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using a Studiodesk Music Commander?-img_4714.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for your feedback and views! I am now more leaning towards the BEAT version or platform (by output).
You are right about the cost, I did a long research online and went over all companies and even custom-made options, none of those desks should be over $1k.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yes if you really like the design (like me) and are prepared to spend more than desk may be worth than get one, it is solid and functional, you will be fine and probably won't feel buyers remorse, just keep in mind that there are probably equally worthy desks in build quality and ergonomics out there at lower prices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search