The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Booth - 3 Questions
Old 4th April 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Vocal Booth - 3 Questions

I have 3 vocal booth questions ,

Gonna build a 4x6 or 4x8 vocal booth made of wood studs & sheet rock , in an already air tight insulated sheetrocked garage . Floor is concrete slab .

1. How big of an air gap should there be between the vocal booth and garage walls ? Do you get more isolation being farther from the wall , can I build within inches of the garage wall and get the same isolation as say a couple feet ?

2. This booth is just for recording vocals . Is it worth it to use resilient channel ? The goal of the booth is not isolation from noise inside the garage . I want the booth so I can record vocals and it won't disturb anybody in the house or outside the garage .

3. Not gonna build a wood floor but use the garage's concrete floor for the booths floor . So should I drill into the concrete and secure the stud walls to the floor ?
Old 4th April 2016
  #2
1. How big of an air gap should there be between the vocal booth and garage walls? While you do get more isolation the further away you get, from my understanding after about 8-12" the transmission loss becomes more or less insignificant.

2. This booth is just for recording vocals . Is it worth it to use resilient channel ? RC is redundant if you are building an isobox.

3. Not gonna build a wood floor but use the garage's concrete floor for the booths floor . So should I drill into the concrete and secure the stud walls to the floor? If you don't want the room to move every time you shut the door then I suggest anchoring it.
Old 4th April 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
1. How big of an air gap should there be between the vocal booth and garage walls? While you do get more isolation the further away you get, from my understanding after about 8-12" the transmission loss becomes more or less insignificant.

2. This booth is just for recording vocals . Is it worth it to use resilient channel ? RC is redundant if you are building an isobox.

3. Not gonna build a wood floor but use the garage's concrete floor for the booths floor . So should I drill into the concrete and secure the stud walls to the floor? If you don't want the room to move every time you shut the door then I suggest anchoring it.
Thanks for the reply ,


Could you explain why RC is redundant in this situation ? I actually don't want to go to the hassle of using it unless it will actually make a difference . Maybe just do 2 layers of sheet rock ?
Old 5th April 2016
  #4
The purpose of RC is decoupling which you are doing already with the room itself. Adding mass is the way to go.
Old 5th April 2016
  #5
JWL
Lives for gear
 
JWL's Avatar
 

It's a tough question. In general it's hard to get booths (tiny rooms) to sound good. Though I acknowledge they are sometimes necessary for isolation purposes. A 4x8x8 gives more area than a 4x6x8 room, but with a 4x8x8 room you have 2 identical dimensions, with the 3rd dimension being a multiple, so all the room modes will be related and because the room is so small they will be well up into the upper bass frequencies (ie, 100-400Hz) and therefore much more audible (for vocal tracks, stuff below 80-100Hz usually gets filtered out anyway).

Try to make all 3 dimensions unrelated (maybe 5x7x8 or something), and then, MOST IMPORTANTLY, once the room is built get as many bass traps into the room as you can, and kill the high frequencies with plenty of absorption. You won't ever get any useful room tone from a tiny room like that, so just deaden it evenly at all frequencies.

Details here: RealTraps - Vocal Booths
Old 5th April 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
The purpose of RC is decoupling which you are doing already with the room itself. Adding mass is the way to go.
Ok , I think I get it now . Cool , that makes building easier . Gonna use 2 layers of 5/8th sheetrock . Should I even bother with green glue between the layers ? I don't understand how green glue helps .
Old 5th April 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
It's a tough question. In general it's hard to get booths (tiny rooms) to sound good. Though I acknowledge they are sometimes necessary for isolation purposes. A 4x8x8 gives more area than a 4x6x8 room, but with a 4x8x8 room you have 2 identical dimensions, with the 3rd dimension being a multiple, so all the room modes will be related and because the room is so small they will be well up into the upper bass frequencies (ie, 100-400Hz) and therefore much more audible (for vocal tracks, stuff below 80-100Hz usually gets filtered out anyway).

Try to make all 3 dimensions unrelated (maybe 5x7x8 or something), and then, MOST IMPORTANTLY, once the room is built get as many bass traps into the room as you can, and kill the high frequencies with plenty of absorption. You won't ever get any useful room tone from a tiny room like that, so just deaden it evenly at all frequencies.

Details here: RealTraps - Vocal Booths
I might even go 6x8 with 7 foot ceiling . Everything would be a different length .

I'm going with this stuff and covering the whole inside of the room , Its 3.5 inches thick .

UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation « Bonded Logic

Its looks much safer and less toxic than sitting in a room filled with rigid fiberglass .
Old 5th April 2016
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Ok , I think I get it now . Cool , that makes building easier . Gonna use 2 layers of 5/8th sheetrock . Should I even bother with green glue between the layers ? I don't understand how green glue helps .
So I reread your description and I have one little question. Are you mainly looking for isolation from the outside world, or isolation from other sound sources within the garage? Because that makes a difference. Your STC from the outside within the booth will be somewhere in the 59-63 range, but for sounds within the garage it will be somewhere in the 40-45 range. If you are looking for more isolation from the garage, then RC and/or Green glue will indeed benefit you.
Old 6th April 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
So I reread your description and I have one little question. Are you mainly looking for isolation from the outside world, or isolation from other sound sources within the garage? Because that makes a difference. Your STC from the outside within the booth will be somewhere in the 59-63 range, but for sounds within the garage it will be somewhere in the 40-45 range. If you are looking for more isolation from the garage, then RC and/or Green glue will indeed benefit you.
Only looking for isolation from the outside world . So people in the house and neighbors won't be bothered and I can record loud vocals when ever i want . Probably record some loud guitar amps in there too .
Old 6th April 2016
  #10
Old 6th April 2016
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Have you looked into fire doors (Designed to go in between garages and houses)? I used a reclaimed 90 minute fire door in my studio that weighs about 120lbs. It's definitely done the job too. Much higher STC than a steel door.
Old 19th July 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Olsson View Post
Before you start building a permanent solution, please have a look at the ISOVOX Vocal Booth.

Acoustically optimized for professional use.

ISOVOX, No.1 PRO Home Vocal Booth

Youtubechannel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKR...LpUJ_YiGlDx3UQ
Whats the level of db reduction in the room when using the ISO vox booth ?
Old 19th July 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Whats the level of db reduction in the room when using the ISO vox booth ?
Depending on frequenzy and db level of vocal performance it varies a bit in absorbtion and Isolation. But it is designed to enable vocalists to practice & record, without disturbing your neighbours. In biggest frequenzy range it decreases sound volume by 25-35 db.
A spill-sound however will be heard, it can be compared to a speaking volume.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump