The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building a vocal booth from scratch
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Nut

Building a vocal booth from scratch

So I have this 10x12 Space that I am using to build my studio in. It's just for recording vocals and producing beats. I have construction guys fully building the place and in a couple of days they are going to build me a vocal booth. However they have never built one before so they don't know exactly how to build it (at first they were just going to build me a closet).

So I have a few questions.

1. How big should I make the vocal booth? (I was thinking 4x4, but I heard those dimensions give you a boxy sound)

2. What materials do I need to build a solid soundproof vocal booth? (My Monitors are going to be a foot away from the booth so I need as much soundproofing as possible)

3. How Can i guide the construction workers on how to do it? (Is there a guide online)?

My construction workers said just get a thicker sheetrock and soundproof insulation and just do it from there, however I am not sure if thats the best way to do it.

Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Skip the booth. Your room is too small to fit a booth in. Any booth that size won't sound even decent without a ridiculous amount of absorption inside anyway.

Just treat the room with absorption and record in the room. I'm sure most others here would agree.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Nut

A booth in necessary because when me and my friends record, we like to be isolated in our own space, a distraction free zone perhaps. I can expand it to 5x6 but no more than that.

Last edited by YoungSingh; 30th March 2016 at 08:46 PM..
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

I understand why you would want a booth. They have many benefits, if done properly. Maybe I'm not understanding. Your room is 10x12 and you want to take up 1/3 to 1/2 of that space with a booth? You'll end up with a room that is too small to accurately hear music in as well as a booth that is too boxy to record anything in.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

I agree with the others, way too small to be able to get enough acoustic treatment into to minimise the boxy sound in two miniature rooms and have enough room to work. John H. Brandt said that the minimum size for a booth is about 45 cubic metres which is approx. 1,600 cubic feet. 5x6x8 is 240 cubic feet, just 15% of the minimum size.
Old 31st March 2016
JWL
Lives for gear

I agree that better acoustic results are possible outside of tiny booths. Sometimes booths are necessary -- usually for soundproofing reasons but I also get your point about a distraction-free zone -- but getting a tiny room to sound good is an uphill battle. Details here:

RealTraps - Vocal Booths

Instead, I'd use some traps on stands to provide both acoustic benefits and some visual isolation:

Or, a freestanding unit like this:

Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

If it's a concentration, thing, and you want a sense of physical separation from the person being recorded (or the person being recorded wants a sense of separation from you!), then the above suggestion, or a folding screen like they sell at GIK is a much better option: GIK Acoustics Screen Panel - GIK Acoustics Europe

Anything else will take a horrendous and unnecessary bite out of your mixing space, will make the room an asymmetrical shape (bad for mixing), require a serious amount acoustic treatment inside the booth (thus, taking up even more space), but still with the very real risk of you getting a worse-sounding recording through the mic, and a less even mixing environment.

Many of us on Gearslutz hanker after the 'professional feel' of a separate vocal booth, but unless you have the space to do it right (which, you don't), you'll just wind up dropping a bunch of cash on something that (a) sounds worse; and (b) actually makes a perfectly decent-sized room feel (and sound) cramped because of the closet you just built in the corner.

Ask GS about interfaces, plug-ins, mics, pre-amps, DAWs, you'll get a different answer from everyone who posts. So when 100% of responders are telling you "don't build a vocal booth": don't build a vocal booth!

If tracking in a single room is good enough for Ken Lewis ...
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Skip the booth. Your room is too small to fit a booth in. Any booth that size won't sound even decent without a ridiculous amount of absorption inside anyway.

Just treat the room with absorption and record in the room. I'm sure most others here would agree.
I agree. That room is too small for a vocal booth.
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

I vocalize nightly and without hesitation will admit that even I would not be interested in hearing some of the exercises that I do. I'm wondering if a 4 by 4 booth using acoustic blankets hung on a PVC including a ceiling using same material would be the solution to deaden the sound. My goal is only to have something to step into and practice. (Sometimes quite loudly) what do you think?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search