The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Corner bass traps: leave an air gap or fill it up?
Old 2nd December 2015
Stupid question but what if I have them sittin on two short 2x4's? I don't think I can suspend them without them tilting
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightymikep View Post
I did something like this in this post.
Cool! I just had a look at your charts. And to quote you from that post:

Quote:
The takeaway from this, as far as I can tell, is that low to high flow resistivity would be ideal for dealing with first order reflections (where you want even absorption gradually increasing with frequency) and high to low flow resistivity would be better for other places in the room where you're not concerned with early reflections and you're looking to absorb as much as possible below around 100Hz.
So if I already have acoustic panels taking care of first reflections, my corner bass traps could be made of three layers of material, from high to low density, to absorb as much bass as possible?

4 inches of OC703, followed by 4 of Roxul Sane n Sound, then 4 of Johns Manville R-21 would act as a «broad spectrum» bass trap if I understand all this correctly... right?

And since the resonant bump in the high to low scenario gets moved to 30 Hz, although at a lower peak, with OC 705 instead of 703, would it be preferable to use some 705 as a first layer to trap lower frequencies?
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramis View Post
Cool! I just had a look at your charts. And to quote you from that post:

So if I already have acoustic panels taking care of first reflections, my corner bass traps could be made of three layers of material, from high to low density, to absorb as much bass as possible?

4 inches of OC703, followed by 4 of Roxul Sane n Sound, then 4 of Johns Manville R-21 would act as a «broad spectrum» bass trap if I understand all this correctly... right?

And since the resonant bump in the high to low scenario gets moved to 30 Hz, although at a lower peak, with OC 705 instead of 703, would it be preferable to use some 705 as a first layer to trap lower frequencies?
This depends on a number of factors. To have a resonance at or near 30Hz your room would have to have at least one dimension around 18-19 ft. And you would have to have speakers (or sub/s) that can produce 30 Hz. And even then it may not be a problem if your walls are "lossy." You won't really know until you measure. The lower in the frequency range you go, the more spread apart the modal activity is, so it's hard to say without measuring your room.
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
so it's hard to say without measuring your room.
Yes, that's the next step. No use in trying to mentally construct the best theoretical bass trap in the world without evaluating the room. Time to get practical!

But thank you very much for your input. Your charts also helped me understand better this whole concept.
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just sitting here, reading old posts and gathering information.

So...... how do you get into and out of this room?
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemCity View Post
Just sitting here, reading old posts and gathering information.

So...... how do you get into and out of this room?
I dug a tunnel in the backyard and crawl up through a trap in the floor!

Actually, there is a door in the back of the room on the right. I did put a bass trap in front of it but I have 12" to slide in sideways. Forces me to stay thin.

You can see how I built the bass traps here: DIY Corner Bass Traps: Work In Progress

Take care,

dramis
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs View Post
Hi Dramis,

Filling the gap is always preferable to not filling thew gap in a corner. For corner bass trapping you can use something of less density to get very good results
hi was wondering why less density is better?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztronaut View Post
hi was wondering why less density is better?
Hi, It is all down to gas flow resistivity or very basically how different materials absorb sound. If you search the term here within the gearslutz forums you will see it discussed in some good detail
Old 15th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, I’m about to build some DIY bass traps. I have 3” Rockwool Safe n Sound because that’s what they had at Lowe’s. If I stack multiple layers together to form a thick bass trap, will this material perform well as a bass trap?
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkudell View Post
Hi, I’m about to build some DIY bass traps. I have 3” Rockwool Safe n Sound because that’s what they had at Lowe’s. If I stack multiple layers together to form a thick bass trap, will this material perform well as a bass trap?
Yes. That is the first evolution of Superchunks.
📝 Reply