The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do I measure my room acoustics?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

How do I measure my room acoustics? The way where I'll get a nice little frequency graph that'll tell me I have a huge dip at 80hz sorta thing.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
How do I measure my room acoustics? The way where I'll get a nice little frequency graph that'll tell me I have a huge dip at 80hz sorta thing.
I use the ETF software, explained in detail here:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_etf.htm

ETF is for Windows. There's also FuzzMeasure for Macs:

http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/...s/FuzzMeasure/

Then there's Room EQ Wizard for both Windows and Macs, which also happens to be free:

www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

The key to such software is you need to see not only the raw frequency response, but also time based issues like early reflections, modal ringing, and reverb times in third octave bands.

--Ethan
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Call THIS guy and save yourself the hassle. You also get some expert advice on how to correct everything!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 21st August 2007

Is Room EQ Wizard compatible with an Original MBox? I've been trying to set it up and the program won't see my MBox.

Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 10.4.8 OS, Protools 7.1.

In the software instructions says that if it's an USB interface that you've connected than you have to wait about a minute for the software to recognize it but I've waited and nothing happens.

Anybody that could help me out to solve the problem?
Old 24th June 2011
Here for the gear

Two for the price of one

If someone could answer this you would be helping me to.
Old 24th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

hand claps and mirrors
Old 24th June 2011
Gear Guru
REW Mac

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...er-v2-1-a.html

Ethan has one on his site also, which is nearly as good heh

Mac REW? Fire up AudioMidi Setup. Select MBox for I/O

If this doesn't work, just use the Apple sound hardware. Line output/input and a mic pre.

DD
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I use the ETF software, explained in detail here:

RealTraps - Optimizing Acoustic Treatment using ETF

ETF is for Windows. There's also FuzzMeasure for Macs:

FuzzMeasure Pro 3

Then there's Room EQ Wizard for both Windows and Macs, which also happens to be free:

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

The key to such software is you need to see not only the raw frequency response, but also time based issues like early reflections, modal ringing, and reverb times in third octave bands.

--Ethan
Hey Ethan,

What would u say is the absolute easiest & close to no-brainer (not saying anybody doesn't have a brain) software of these or others for room measurement & analysis? Briefly started messing w/ Room EQ Wizard before a session months ago but seemed really complex so kind of chickened out.
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

For all here's a guide on how to use the REW software from set up to testing -
http://gikacoustics.co.uk/room-eq-wizard-tutorial/
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post

What would u say is the absolute easiest & close to no-brainer (not saying anybody doesn't have a brain) software of these or others for room measurement & analysis? Briefly started messing w/ Room EQ Wizard before a session months ago but seemed really complex so kind of chickened out.
I would say REW over all is pretty easy to use but understanding what you are looking at for a beginner can be challenging. Once you do test be sure to post the IR file and we can take a look to help you. Also be sure to test one speaker at a time then both from the mix spot (do not move the mic). The link Dave gave you above should get you up and going.
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
Hey Ethan, What would u say is the absolute easiest & close to no-brainer (not saying anybody doesn't have a brain) software of these or others for room measurement & analysis? Briefly started messing w/ Room EQ Wizard before a session months ago but seemed really complex so kind of chickened out.
REW is the simplest of the programs I've tried. It might seem complicated at first, but IMO it's no more complicated than learning a DAW program. In fact, it's probably much less complicated. You just have to get signals in and out, and click the button to run the test. Interpreting the graphs takes some effort, but again it's not really that difficult. In all honesty, it's probably more of a mindset - "I can do this!" - than it is actually complicated. heh

--Ethan
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Guru
Confusion

FuzzMeasure is the easiest to use I have found. REW is not as difficult as the manual and guides suggest. Take the words Calibration and Loopback Correction out of the equation and it's a simple play and record operation.
There is no need for Cal of any kind for most of the work we do.
DD
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

I learnt how to do measurements on REW from our own guide when we first released it and apart from a couple of school boy errors ( I forgot to set my range). I was up and running with it in no time
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs View Post
For all here's a guide on how to use the REW software from set up to testing -
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Sheggs and Glenn,

when doing my first steps with REW, i had the problem of not hearing any signal input from my mic within REW, while in my DAW the mic worked just fine. i even made some posts around the internet about my problem.

the solution was to switch the channel from Right to Left in the dropdown within REW's preferences tab. I have no idea why this worked, but it worked nonetheless (i am undereducated in mic'ing-related topics). this might be something to include in your video??? or was i just "lucky"?
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Guru

No way to go back and edit the video but that is a good point. Not sure if you just got lucky or not, but it works now which is great.
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Maniac

the reason it worked is probably because my (mono) mic is connected to the Line In 1, which would then translate to a Left In... Line In 2 would be used only as the Right channel for a Stereo Input 1/2... or something....
Old 15th July 2013
I use freeware Room EQ Wizard (Win, Mac and Linux) or Fuzzmeasure (Mac, costing $150).
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

If you are still haveing trouble using an interface with REW on a MAC try this:
Room EQ Wizard on the Mac – an input workaround

That will get you going. I'll repeat Dan's recommendations as well; you don't need to cal or loop-back to get some decent readings on your room and be able to locate problem spots.

Cheers,
John
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
If you are still haveing trouble using an interface with REW on a MAC try this:
Room EQ Wizard on the Mac – an input workaround

Cheers,
John
Nice job and bookmarked!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search