The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RX4 with Cubase? How does "Connect" work? DAW Software
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

RX4 with Cubase? How does "Connect" work?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to use Izotope RX4 with Cubase 7.5 with the new "Connect" feature.

I know it's supposed to kind of bridge the gap of the things that need the full RX4 application, but I can't seem to get the jist of it. Is there a simple step by step anywhere?

Anyone have a clue how to do this?
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

How to use RX Connect with Steinberg Cubase” (knowledge base article)
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

holy crap...that was fast. thanks guys.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
How to use RX Connect with Steinberg Cubase” (knowledge base article)
I'm sure I'm just "special", but in #2 on the list... where is the "Audio Plug-ins" menu? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Does that mean I'm inserting it on the track like a regular plugin?

When I insert "Connect" on my track, I do get the little box pop up and I can "repair" or "reference", but when I click on any of them it just endlessly sits there with the message "capturing audio", but it never does anything after.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

You need to process the sample with Connect offline rather than adding Connect as a track insert.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
You need to process the sample with Connect offline rather than adding Connect as a track insert.
Thanks Alexey, I'm just not seeing the "Audio Plug-ins" menu in Cubase to select "Connect" Where is that hiding?
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

By the way, this is what the link says.

How to use RX Connect with Steinberg Cubase

The RX Connect plug-in sends a clip, or multiple clips, to the RX 4 standalone application for editing and repair. This gives you access to all of RX 4's modules in one place, and provides the benefits of RX's offline processing and visual interface.
To edit audio from Steinberg Cubase in RX 4:

1. In Cubase, select the audio clip for processing.
2. Select the iZotope RX 4 Connect Plug-in from the Cubase “Audio-Plug-ins” menu.
3. Depending on your requirements please select one of the following choices:
• Send for reference - meant for analysis only. The clips go to RX 4, but do not come back.
• Send for repair - the clips are sent to RX 4 and, after they are cleaned up, you can send them back to your DAW.
4. Once you have made your choice, press the process button to send the audio to RX 4. The RX 4 application will automatically open and receive the audio from Cubase.
5. You can now carry out any repair, restoration or cleaning using the full selection of RX 4 modules.
6. Once you are happy with the edits you can simply press the “send back” button at the top of the open window to send the audio back to Cubase.
7. Once complete RX 4 will show a window asking to re-open the RX 4 Connect Plug-in.
8. Back in Cubase, select the iZotope RX 4 Connect Plug-in from the “Audio-Plug-ins” menu.
9. Press the process button to commit the changes to the original audio file.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Look to the C7 comparison chart.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedmitten View Post
Look to the C7 comparison chart.
Comparison for what? RX4 is a separate plugin that shouldn't have any bearing on the stock Cubase options...or am I missing something?
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt8 View Post
Thanks Alexey, I'm just not seeing the "Audio Plug-ins" menu in Cubase to select "Connect" Where is that hiding?
I think he might mean that you have to select the event you want to process and select the plug-in like you would any other plug-in offline, not in the actual channel's insert slots.
Old 3rd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think he might mean that you have to select the event you want to process and select the plug-in like you would any other plug-in offline, not in the actual channel's insert slots.
Sounds quite likely to me too - makes perfect sense that way. That said, I am seeing RX4 Connect as a VST plugin in the regular list, but this initializes as stereo on a mono track, and there is no indication of progress or activity even though cancelling out then launches RX4 and shows what it did capture.
Accessing via right-click context menu in the project window (this needs to have "show toolbox on right click" disabled in prefs - much better with full context menus anyway) gets you the correct options*, so use offline and not as a plugin even though you seem to be sort of able to.

You may also need "release ASIO drivers in background" activated in the "Device Setup / VST Audio System" panel (from "Devices" on the drop-down menu).

* = see attached screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
RX4 with Cubase? How does "Connect" work?-rx4-connect.png  
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Just FYI: There are currently problems with "reference" not actually working in Nuendo, as well as most likely problems with LYNX devices for "RX Monitor".
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Maniac

It's very simple. I use Nuendo but the interfaces are almost identical, yes? Select the audio instance you wish to process, then select the pull-down menus: Audio -> Plug-Ins -> RX4 Connect (it might be in a subfolder called "Restoration"). Then, if I recall correctly, press Repair and press preview. Once the preview is over it opens the audio in the main RX app. Do your magic using that, then press Send back or something like that on the RX app. After that, back in Nuendo and the open RX connect window, press Process.

edit: Well, when you think about it, that's not "very simple", but you get the hang of it very soon.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5000 View Post
It's very simple. I use Nuendo but the interfaces are almost identical, yes? Select the audio instance you wish to process, then select the pull-down menus: Audio -> Plug-Ins -> RX4 Connect (it might be in a subfolder called "Restoration"). Then, if I recall correctly, press Repair and press preview. Once the preview is over it opens the audio in the main RX app. Do your magic using that, then press Send back or something like that on the RX app. After that, back in Nuendo and the open RX connect window, press Process.

edit: Well, when you think about it, that's not "very simple", but you get the hang of it very soon.
The word "simple" can be debated. It's clearly not rocket-science or brain surgery, but it's hardly as "simple" - meaning "convenient" - as it seems in the advertizing. This is what I found and subsequently sent to iZotope support regarding the 'connect' functionality:

Quote:
RX Connect:

* Repair: Selecting ONE event on timeline and using 'connect' / 'repair' sends audio to RX. It also sends corrected audio back properly (after again choosing 'connect' plugin).
* Repair: Selecting MORE THAN ONE event on the timeline, as is shown in your brief video on youtube ("How to fix dialog with RX") does however NOT import all events into RX and instead only the last one on the timeline! On the video, in Pro Tools, the clips when using "send" all end up in one tab after which they appear to be consolidated upon "return" to PT.

* Reference: Selecting one event on timeline, selecting 'reference' in connect plugin and then 'process' yields no result.
* Reference: Selecting one event on timeline, selecting 'reference' in connect plugin and then 'preview' yields following results:

a) Not stopping 'preview' playback results in the event looping indefinitely
b) If I stop playback before the clip ends only that portion (plus some "lag") will open up in RX (as "Ref: Nuendo 1" tab).
c) If I stop playback after the clip ends but before it plays back in its entirety again, I will get one tab with the entire clip and one tab with the partial from the second 'lap' in RX. The first will again be the "Ref" tab and the second the tab presumably to be repaired.
d) If I stop playback after several "loops" RX then has two complete instances of the same clip.
e) Selecting more than one event on the timeline results in only the first event looping and the following event(s) being ignored. This means the two tabs, "Ref" and the one to repair, contain the very same audio.

* Reference: The only way to make this work then is to

- select the reference event,
- chose the connect plugin,
- select 'reference',
- play it back in more than its entirety - i.e. until it loops back and just a hair after (assuming one needs all of it),
- close the plugin,
- select the next event to be processed,
- open up connect again
- select 'process'
- switch to RX where one does the work needed,
- select 'send back'
- open up connect a third time!
- select 'process'
That's twelve steps to make that transfer back and forth happen. Twelve.

For those on Lynx devices that may be affected by its drivers here's what I found regarding the "Monitor" function (see additional notes below):

Quote:
RX Monitor:

* FX Channel - With firewall on it won't connect. With firewall off it will 'connect' the two applications, yet pressing play in RX yields "audio driver unavailable" message.
* Audio Track - With firewall on OR off; it will connect IF input is set to S/PDIF. Any other input yields no connection. The track also needs to be monitor enabled in Nuendo.
* Group Tracks don't work.

Note: I have Spotify feed the same output (S/PDIF) from my computer, and as soon as RX monitor is 'connected' that signal (Spotify) is broken if both reside on the same input track. This to me shows that the RX Monitor app is working and it isn't simply receiving the S/PDIF signal instead.

* Selecting any driver other than "ASIO Lynx" - in Nuendo - results in no functioning combination.
* Selecting MME driver and S/PDIF out - RX - results in normal output from app (like in RX3). This is what I used to do by then having a physical computer S/PDIF out going to my LYNX input and monitoring that in Nuendo. I.e. signal leaves computer and comes back. I would normally not care about this except that a computer upgrade is sure to happen within the next year and if I can't get a motherboard with a similar output I'm losing this functionality.
- the track type mentioned is the type of track I instantiated the 'monitor' plugin on

- iLok Authorization of (specifically) RX monitor may fail on Windows machines (like it did on mine).

Overall I'm surprised and disappointed with how poor the easy of use in PT/Mac translates to Nuendo/Windows. iZotope has been stellar so far and this is not up to par in my experience. Support was very nice to deal with however, but it still doesn't solve the problems at hand of course. If I missed something please let me know.

As it stands now I would caution anyone who is considering this software to thoroughly investigate the workflow ramifications based on the above.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

getting "audio driver unavailable" when trying to use rx connect. i checked disable asio i background as well (cubase 7.5.3 windows 7). anybody have any suggestions?
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

RX "connect" or "monitor"? The driver would not affect RX connect, right?

Did you read my last post?
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I updated and it has been fixed disregard
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
I updated and it has been fixed disregard
Could you please share with us so we all know exactly what you did?

Did you just update the RX version and it started working? (i.e. from what version to what?)
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you please share with us so we all know exactly what you did?

Did you just update the RX version and it started working? (i.e. from what version to what?)
4.00 to 4.00b (4.00.435) 64-bit -- solved the issue for me. didnt do anything else special.

1) i put monitor on a audio track so i can hear the audio from RX4
2) I offline process with RX4 connect, select repair, hit process.
3) audio opens in RX4, i make sure the RX Monitor driver is selected
4) make my edits, hit 'send back'
5) in cubase, i select the same audio track/audio clip i want to replace, and go to offline process->rx connect
6) rx connect displays that the audio is found and i hit process
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I see. That's how it is for me as well, using the same version.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see. That's how it is for me as well, using the same version.
adding a key command for the rx4 connect offline process has made it a lot more seamless/quick.
Old 23rd October 2014
Deleted User
Does Rx4 connect worth smoothly for resampling to avoid Cubase's conversion? Say, working with a 44k sampled instrument in a 96k project?
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

I don't see why you'd use connect for that.
Old 23rd October 2014
Deleted User
Rx has much better SRC.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Well I'm not sure how you'd go about it in the first place so I'm afraid I can't answer. Sorry.
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Head

I'm really bumming about the fact that iZotope let go of the Spectral Repair plugin: I use it a ton as a process plugin having it hang off of a keyboard shortcut. Much faster than the new connect procedure which feels quite cumbersome when you are only interested in SP. Still using the old version for that reason. 'Good news' seems that they have not improved much anyway in this department it seems since RX2, or am I wrong about that? A bit underwhelmed with the RX4 update to be honest..

Last edited by JvdS; 27th October 2014 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, as far as I understand it Spectral Repair hasn't changed. Support was aware of our dissatisfaction with taking it out and is lobbying for the decision maker(s) to put it back in. Until then RX3 should be fine.
Old 22nd November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdS View Post
A bit underwhelmed with the RX4 update to be honest..
As someone who does loads of sound design in RX I have to disagree. The "connect" plug in is a godsend for Cubase users who cant use external audio editor..
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
As someone who does loads of sound design in RX I have to disagree. The "connect" plug in is a godsend for Cubase users who cant use external audio editor..
With the aforementioned caveats I'd almost agree...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search