The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton vs. Cubase
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Head

Ableton vs. Cubase

Hi everyone

I am currently producing music with Ableton Live 9.

I'm thinking about switching to Cubase, but I am not sure if I should do it (because it's expensive). Ableton is truly the best DAW for playing Live-Sets (in my opinion), but is it really for producing?

I heard from many sources that Cubase (or Logic and some others) are the best choices there. I know today you can produce perfectly with every DAW, but I wonder what you guys think. Ableton or Cubase?

I couldn't find another post that already describes exactly the difference or the opinions between them. So let me know what you think.

Have a good one!

Last edited by Paeo; 6th August 2014 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Wrong Forum
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Oh! Here's one we didn't see yet I think. This and Cubase vs. WV Golf 2.5

KA
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I use both, sometimes together via rewire...shouldn't necessarily have to be an either or.

One good way to use them is to first sketch out ideas on Ableton, and then finish in Cubase...
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

In all seriousness, in case you don't know, Cubase has a 30-days demo. If you try it at a time you know you'll have some spare time, it's gonna be better than any comments here to see if YOU like it. Don't expect to grasp the program in a weekend...

KA
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
In all seriousness, in case you don't know, Cubase has a 30-days demo. If you try it at a time you know you'll have some spare time, it's gonna be better than any comments here to see if YOU like it. Don't expect to grasp the program in a weekend...

KA
What he said plus you will need to buy a eLiscenser dongle.

Buy USB-eLicenser now | Steinberg Online Shop

Of course that comes in handy with other products such as Arturia too.

IMO Cubase is by far the most "feature rich" DAW environment. From what I read here people are learning new features many months after using it. It is deep. It's the best for what I do but it is far from perfect. Being that it is the most "feature rich" program it also has it's share of bugs and with Cubase 7/7.5... many workflow limitations compared to Cubase 6.5. Steinberg is the opposite of a DAW like Reaper or Wavelab in that there is very little communication between users and developer. They have their own business plan, and they rarely deviate from it.

As said you can read posts here all day...or just but a dongle and use the demo.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

You only need an eLiscenser to trial the full version. I would trial the stripped down version as it doesn't require a dongle - I have a genuine issue with having to pay money to trial some software.

I recently moved from Live to Cubase as my main DAW. From the sounds of your post I don't think it's really the right thing to do. I made the switch because there are specific technical reasons that I could list that were causing me problems with my production process. Not because people said this-or-that.

What are YOUR limitations with Ableton? Once you can rationalise that, you need to look for a product which solves those issues or accept you're just chasing shadows and Ableton fulfils your needs.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I use both Cubase and Ableton because of their specific 'flavours'.
Could live with just one of them perfectly tho...
Old 8th August 2014
CUBASE 7.5 is tough to beat with all of it's production tools.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search