The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 8 new editing Scheme to improve workflow ? DAW Software
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Nut
Sorry guys, I just switch from Logic Pro X to Cubase not too long ago and thanks for sharing me those tips.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by holywilly View Post
Sorry guys, I just switch from Logic Pro X to Cubase not too long ago and thanks for sharing me those tips.
Then I don't really think you should be posting in a new features thread until you know the software considerably better. It just confuses and muddies things up. You would be better off simply starting a thread asking how to do things in Cubase. Or maybe read the manual. Modern DAWs like Cubase, Logic, PT HD etc are so deep and complex it takes a long time to learn all the available features and workflows.

For your information, if you haven't changed the default key commands, by pressing F6 you open the automation panel. There you can select "Show All Used Automation". Or even better, click on the little Options button on the bottom left of that window and enable the "Reveal Parameter On Write" option. Now if you want to automate anything, click the Automation Write button on the track/synth you want to automate (or the global one) and adjust a knob/slider/button while Cubase is playing. A new Automation lane will appear automatically with the relevant Automation Parameter. (The turn off automation write again).

Alistair
Old 26th August 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
...Basically to improve overall workflow when opening plug-ins, editor windows,... etc. ? Which will improve the way we interact with the various plug-in windows, editors ...etc. ?...
Hold on, you are aware of the right click, always show on top option for any window and plugin you have loaded right?

Yes multi screen display helps heaps, I have two displays one for mixing the other for the track lanes.
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hold on, you are aware of the right click, always show on top option for any window and plugin you have loaded right?
And you are aware of the multiple windows that are completely missing an AOT option & also of the fact that AOT behaviour of plugins is broken with fullscreen Mixconsole right?
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear
Clicking on a fade to edit the fade settings should not break fullscreen mode. There should also be a way to have the arrange at fullscreen and mediabay always on top without being fullscreen so one can drag files into template tracks. A little niggle...maybe it's user error?

Also, is there a way for me to drag mid data from instruments like stylus or superior drummer without it creating a new file each time? I've tried suggestions from steinberg, but whenever I drag a midi file into a dedicated track, a new one is created at the bottom of the arrange window anyway. Is this a problem with the instruments or Cubase?
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
This is indeed annoying (and stupid). The number of times I have clicked on the region to drag a track and nothing happens... Just let us drag the tracks even if we click on the icon region by accident. It isn't like it does anything else. It just does nothing. And this is another of those invisible regions in Cubase. Invisible regions or buttons that only appear when you hover/click on them are bad.

I never use the rack because it wastes so much space. There should be a minimalistic mode in which you can fit a maximum number of instruments. Currently you can't have more than 9 rack slots visible at the same time. That just isn't enough.

I would like a mode that basically just shows the top row (Power/edit/freeze buttons, instrument name, I/O and that's it) and with a minimum of fake 3D bezels etc so that we can have 30 or so slots visible at the same time.

Talking about Instruments, I would like to be able to Disable instrument tracks in the same way that we can Disable audio tracks. (And that includes making the track darker so we can quickly scan a project and see which tracks are active or disabled).

I have many ideas about the mixer, the inspector and other things but I would like Steinberg to focus on streamlining what is already there and fixing bugs and focus issues first. So I'll keep those ideas to myself for now.

Alistair
Yes to all of this. At this point, I wouldn't mind a window on the right side of the arrange (a la studio one) where I can toggle through pages for plugin lists, a page for group/FX tracks with horizontal faders would be nice, but more importantly, the VST rack. Just clean text, simple button control layout for outputs, etc.

Also, if SB is going to continue pushing the quick control feature, then a separate page with a list of QC enabled tracks where you can highlight one and control those parameters without having to go to that specific track would be welcome as well. Maybe adding an 'e' button there to open that specific plugin would be a nice touch.

And finally while im here, get an SB intern to do create drum maps for the various drum map vendors. Since that feature is SB specific, it seems more prudent for this to happen on the SB side.

With that said, I'll settle for a little more workflow speed, whatever that entails.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut

There's alway room for improvements but Cubase 7.5 is by far the best version yet. The 6.5 mixer is messy. Too complex. The 7.5 mixer is better by far overall faster workflow. Cubase 8 needs BIP for starters. Definitely not crazy about S1 or Logic ProX window management. I produce and mix with a 15" MBP so patience is a virtue
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP6 View Post
The 6.5 mixer is messy. Too complex. The 7.5 mixer is better by far overall faster workflow.
Faster workflow?

Could you tell me the key command (KC) to focus mixer 1, or mixer 2, or mixer 3 in full screen mode?

Could you tell me a way to keep VST's from vanishing behind those mixers when you take the mouse and click on the mixer when in full screen mode?

And where is a KC to close the history window?

If you are using a mouse...I don't think that is faster.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Faster workflow?

Could you tell me the key command (KC) to focus mixer 1, or mixer 2, or mixer 3 in full screen mode?

Could you tell me a way to keep VST's from vanishing behind those mixers when you take the mouse and click on the mixer when in full screen mode?

And where is a KC to close the history window?

If you are using a mouse...I don't think that is faster.
A partial solution for closing the history window is the same one as closing a project when you want to leave Cubase open, CTRL-W.

Partial only, because (afaict) the history window has to be in focus for it to work. I think tabbing around will get it the magic frame there, but I sometimes get frustrated waiting for the tab to move the frame to the right place.
Old 28th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Also, is there a way for me to drag mid data from instruments like stylus or superior drummer without it creating a new file each time? I've tried suggestions from steinberg, but whenever I drag a midi file into a dedicated track, a new one is created at the bottom of the arrange window anyway. Is this a problem with the instruments or Cubase?
Yes, there is a preference for importing MIDI files, I think it is called auto-dissolve. Toggle it.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
A partial solution for closing the history window is the same one as closing a project when you want to leave Cubase open, CTRL-W.

Partial only, because (afaict) the history window has to be in focus for it to work. I think tabbing around will get it the magic frame there, but I sometimes get frustrated waiting for the tab to move the frame to the right place.
Yes thanks Alexis that is what I have been doing. And it is a "partial" solution because it has to be in focus and it's a Windows key command, therefore not found in the Steinberg KC list.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Yes, there is a preference for importing MIDI files, I think it is called auto-dissolve. Toggle it.
Thank you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search