The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would you buy cubase again? DAW Software
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Would you buy cubase again?

I've been searching for a new DAW for 45 days or so now, and one thing I've noticed is the density of complaints about Cubase. I have wondered if that is due to the popularity or if the 'reports are true' so to say.

So I have a simple question: If you were to start over, knowing everything you know now, would you go with Cubase 7.5?

Yes: Why would you stay with it?

No: Why would you choose something else? What would you use instead?
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

I started with Reason and then moved to Logic 6 or 7 at the time. Knowing what I know now, and if I could do it again, I would stick with Logic.

Not that I would pick Logic now, I would pick Cubase now. But a DAW is just a tool. Stick with the one you learn and learn it inside out. Focus your efforts on creativity and not the tool.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Without a shadow of a doubt... yes.

MC

P.S. this is from a pro tools, Reaper owner user too.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I've been searching for a new DAW for 45 days or so now, and one thing I've noticed is the density of complaints about Cubase. I have wondered if that is due to the popularity or if the 'reports are true' so to say.

So I have a simple question: If you were to start over, knowing everything you know now, would you go with Cubase 7.5?

Yes: Why would you stay with it?

No: Why would you choose something else? What would you use instead?
why DAW are you using now?
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
why DAW are you using now?
Nothing. I'm taking a vacation from audio work due to health issues and avidly browsing the options. Plan is to return in ~15 days.

I was previously using Pro Tools, but I am unhappy with the current direction the software is taking along with the maintenance costs associated with avid products.

That's irrelevant though, as I'm interested in other people's opinions. I've done my own research, and this is part of it
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear
yes.

why? I use Cubase since version 1.0 for Atari. so I turn the question around: why should I switch? there is no reason to switch a DAW that you have seen grown - and you grew together with the DAW - and that you know deeply, you know its inner logic.

so if you use a DAW a long time, dont switch. with a switch you may solve here and there a little issue, but you will catch other issues. so why switching? makes null sense ...

btw: Cubase is the superior DAW. period. against all stylish opinions and industry standard blah blah that is a fact. so ... do what you like, but with a switch you dont solve possible problems, you will run into deep trouble.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nothing. I'm taking a vacation from audio work due to health issues and avidly browsing the options. Plan is to return in ~15 days.

I was previously using Pro Tools, but I am unhappy with the current direction the software is taking along with the maintenance costs associated with avid products.

That's irrelevant though, as I'm interested in other people's opinions. I've done my own research, and this is part of it
I use cubuase but I use v 5, I have 6 and 6.5 but the performance was way too slow for me. so I went back. On that note I would look into reaper or prosunus studio 1, both are better than protools, samplitide is another option. In reality the DAW doesn't matter. I would say unless you do alot of midi all DAWs will do the trick. If you do a lot of midi then it's either cubase or logic. IMO converter quality is by far the most important aspect of the digtial side of things. Once it gets converted the DAWs are all the same unless they are broke ofcourse or buggy.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

The question really is..."what do YOU need from a daw?" Then make your choice based n YOUR conclusion.

If you need a creation tool,I think Cubase is the best. I use a ton of midi and virtual synths along with basic scoring and Cubase seems superior in all of those categories based on my experience. I have used these at one time or another(Sonar/Cakewalk,Reaper,Acid,Vegas Pro,Power Tracks) and none is as good as Cubase from start to finish.

I also said something similar over here.....https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubas...ial-buyer.html

It's interesting to me,how much current inquiry about Cubase is on these recent forums. Would so many people be considering switching if it wasn't that good?

Maybe I am a fanboy,but all I really need is something that allows me to create and deliver and if it was anything else, I'd probably be a fanboy for them too.

Good luck,

fb
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
The question really is..."what do YOU need from a daw?"
No, that is not actually the question.

I know what I need from a DAW and what software offers it. There are many excellent options, and Cubase is one of them.

I'm asking a specific question that is not something I myself could answer. I am curious about the current user-base's opinion of the product/company and if their ongoing experiences support their continued use of the software.

edit: Think of it like buying a car. (yay! car analogy). A smart buyer would seek the opinion of current owners of a make or model if they would purchase it again. They also may ask their mechanic which car that the mechanic would buy. That is the sort of information that I am seeking.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm asking a specific question that is not something I myself could answer. I am curious about the current user-base's opinion of the product/company and if their ongoing experiences support their continued use of the software.

Well, in my defense and the defense of other posters,this is the FIRST time you have specified what your concerns are regarding a daw.

Personally,I have had good support,but only an insider is going to be able to tell what direction a large company like Yammie/Steiny is going to do in the future. So,at this point I am confident that the years I have invested in Cubase are yrs well spent. TBH, an experienced user such as yourself will discover that Cubase is usually pretty easy to troubleshoot and you will probably very rarely need tech support. I think I have submitted 4 support tickets in 11 yrs. And only 2 of those were for technical reasons.

Good Luck,

fb
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
Well, in my defense and the defense of other posters,this is the FIRST time you have specified what your concerns are regarding a daw.
My first post very clearly outlined the question I was asking, and I know that it seems like a strange question at first.

I also understand that sometimes people think that someone is 'asking the wrong question' for what they want to know, but I know what information I'm looking for.

Quote:
Personally,I have had good support,but only an insider is going to be able to tell what direction a large company like Yammie/Steiny is going to do in the future. So,at this point I am confident that the years I have invested in Cubase are yrs well spent. TBH, an experienced user such as yourself will discover that Cubase is usually pretty easy to troubleshoot and you will probably very rarely need tech support. I think I have submitted 4 support tickets in 11 yrs. And only 2 of those were for technical reasons.

Good Luck,

fb
Thank you for your response, that it is the valuable information that I'm looking for.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

I started on Cubase, worked with both it and Reason for years, and ended up with Logic, for even more years. All of them worked, and the more you treat your DAW like a simple tape machine the less your choice probably matters, as most anything does that well. My personal experience however,has been the more I've involved myself with sound editing, sequencing, midi, and virtual instruments the more I've preferred my switch to Logic. Working in those areas just seems far more effortless and natural to me in Logic. But most of my recording friends do almost none of those things and use their DAW solely like a tape machine, so go figure. If you're happy with what you know stay with it, and if you're looking for something more I understand : ). Personally, the best thing I ever did was grudgingly switch to Apple; my personal experience was it eliminated most of my compatibility issues within my computer/os and let me keep my limited creativity focused on the music. My 2 cents, YMMV.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.

I would stick to Cubase 6.5 which I feel was the best, (fewest issues) and had the fastest workflow.

I have always used a PC built for audio, and have never experienced any performance issues...ever....since the late 90s.

C7, was released half-baked. There were not even any key commands for the new mix console upon its release over 18 months ago. If you don't use key commands and love clicking everywhere, hovering everywhere, then perhaps C7 will be perfect for you. Workflow is important to me which means using lots of KC's plus a controller.

C7.5 not much different than C7 when you look at the big picture.

With that said, I think Cubase is the best DAW for what I do. It's a feature rich environment from creation to finalizing. (Please note I didn't say mastering.) But I think Steinberg is at cross roads with C7.5 and C8 is going to determine the new direction. Windows management is horrible but I hear C8 will address this.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear
I will never use anything but Cubase, I don't care what the issues are.

It came with a Tascam US428, it was Cubasis and I had no idea what I was doing. I remember Neon and VB and LM and MKII and the gator kits, grungelizer, symphonic, double delay, quadrafuzz. Hell no, I love Cubase, it's a part of me.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My first post very clearly outlined the question I was asking, and I know that it seems like a strange question at first.

I also understand that sometimes people think that someone is 'asking the wrong question' for what they want to know, but I know what information I'm looking for.

Thank you for your response, that it is the valuable information that I'm looking for.
Not strange,just not specific IMHO. Glad I could help out anyway.

fb
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Cubase 7.5.2 on Windows 7, Has been rock solid for me.

I plan to upgrade to Cubase 8 as soon as it is released.

The only other DAWs I will be using along with Cubase are :

Studio One Pro (version 3) when it is released. and most likely Bitiwg Studio once it matures a bit.

Cubase will always be my primary DAW

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac

To answer your question directly - no, certainly not now.
Put simply, up to 6.5 Cubase was constantly getting better and more refined in workflow imho (although 5.5 marked the performance peak as has been said), C7 radically changed that decade-old tradition, quality is at an alltime low and they clearly aim for the mouse-only, single screen, home user market now.
Not a direction I'm interested in, not really.
If I were in your situation, I'd go for one of the "newer" hosts that still are "looking up" to the big ones, Studio One has a lot going for it, in many areas it already trumps Cubase and it is really easy to learn, and Reaper is an incredibly mighty DAW for a nominal fee of $60, but its wealth of options takes its toll in terms of learning curve, imho.
Both S-1 and Reaper still seem to care about the wishlists of their user base, although in a different fashion.
Maybe Steinberg have learnt their lesson from the C7 desaster, maybe not, C8 will show. If the C7 lifecycle is any indication though ...

Last but not least, it's your own job to figure out who to believe and who better to ignore, it's mostly pretty obvious if you check the post history and level of knowledge of various posters.
And since it's Sunday, let's just say in an overly friendly way :
Just the fact that you don't find any complaints no more @ Steinberg's forums doesn't mean reality necessarily follows that concept ...

good luck in making an informed decision,
GS certainly is a decent place to start.
cheers,
Rhino

oh, and there are solid rumors of major version upgrades for Cubase and Studio One before the end of the year, you might want to wait a bit with your decision and check out the demos in the meantime.
Old 20th July 2014
Yes.

I've learnt it decently and I don't believe any other DAW would be a significant improvement. Stable, fast and ok workflow in my setup.
Old 20th July 2014
Deleted #297939
NOT Cubase 7/7.5.

If I'd start over, I would gladly buy Cubase 6.5 again. Go figure
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

First off, Every DAW has it's problems. Cubase is one of them.

Secondly, none of this computer stuff with a million plug ins and busses with zero latency is gonna be perfect -EVER!

I've used Logic, Pro Tools and Cakewalk Sonor all before.

Last year I was on a $40k Pro Tools HDx set up for a bit too, top of the line.

Nothing Beats Cubase for engineering, arranging, midi and track edits, hands down.
It' more intuitive, has more options (and work-arounds when necessary) and is faster overall, than I've found than everything else I've tried...ever.

After the studio I worked for last year closed I went right back to cubase 7 after a couple years on "pro/industry standard" daws.

The only things I miss from HDX are...
1. Vox Align in the Audio Suite is way better and super fast.
2. Tab to transient
3. Import project settings.

In every other way PTHD was inferior IMHO.

The worst version for me was Cubase 5 on 32 bit XP or Vista, ever since then tho it's gotten better and better... at least for me.

the downside to being on cubase and PC is YES, you actually have to know a ****load about computers, and build a really amazing one to make the most of it...

Hope this rant helps.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

People new to the DAW world are incredibly lucky with what's available at this present moment.

ANY of the main DAWs will let you make music without many limitations. Just pick the one that feels right to you and you'll be fine.

Same goes for OS choice ,(although I would personally not recommend Linux as a DAW OS for a Newby) doesn't really matter these days.

MC
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Yes I would buy it again because it works great for the kind of work I do and I have 0 issues with it. That's not to say that there aren't features that I don't use that aren't problematic for other people but I also think some people get caught up in the politics, internet chatter, and spend too much time whining like little babies creating conspiracy theories. If I really thought my Daw was that bad I would move on and not look back and judging from the popularity of Cubase in the last few years Steinberg is doing something right.

I've auditioned the other PC Daws and while I find some have some really cool features Cubase has more of the features I want under it's hood.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes. Definitely. The complaining...has kinda of turned into a meme, I think; some of it is legit (hello, pro-elastique algo problems), some of it seems more like a mass hysteria/people who need to get out more kinda thing. Certainly, it shows passion for the program.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Do you have a computer preference (i.e., OS X or Windows)? From what I understand, Cubase has more issues under OS X than windows, in terms of performance.

I used Cubase from about 1993 on the Atari all the way until 2006. When I switched to Mac I tried Logic and haven't gone back and probably never will.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Yes I would buy C 7.5 again rock solid on 2012 MBP i7 16GB Ram... No issues, crashes in 8 months since I updated
Old 20th July 2014
Deleted User
Yes I would buy it again. 7.5.20 here. I also use StudioOne Pro and Logic X. Primarily Cubase and StudioOne here. I dabble with Logic X

I would chose it because it pretty much does anything you need.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Yes I would buy it again. 7.5.20 here. I also use StudioOne Pro and Logic X. Primarily Cubase and StudioOne here. I dabble with Logic X

I would chose it because it pretty much does anything you need.
Good to hear from you.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Do you have a computer preference (i.e., OS X or Windows)? From what I understand, Cubase has more issues under OS X than windows, in terms of performance.

I used Cubase from about 1993 on the Atari all the way until 2006. When I switched to Mac I tried Logic and haven't gone back and probably never will.
I do use Macs, but I have no qualms using Windows if/when it is necessary.

Would you care to elaborate on why you decided to Logic from Cubase at that time?
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I could answer that after the next maintenance update. If they do not fix certain bugs that has been allowed to survice since version 7.0.0, then the answer will be a firm no.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Handler View Post
First off, Every DAW has it's problems. Cubase is one of them.
Agree.

Quote:
Secondly, none of this computer stuff with a million plug ins and busses with zero latency is gonna be perfect -EVER!
Agree.

Quote:
the downside to being on cubase and PC is YES, you actually have to know a ****load about computers, and build a really amazing one to make the most of it...
Disagree. Use Bootcampon your Mac and follow Steinberg/NI/Focusrite tweaks, that will keep you running. Or buy a good workstation. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
People new to the DAW world are incredibly lucky with what's available at this present moment.

ANY of the main DAWs will let you make music without many limitations. Just pick the one that feels right to you and you'll be fine.

Same goes for OS choice ,(although I would personally not recommend Linux as a DAW OS for a Newby) doesn't really matter these days.

MC
Once again Marcus hits the nail on its head...

PS: After using Logic, I switched to Cubase, Nuendo, still scribble with Studio One, and currently diving into the feature abyss called Sequoia. Yet 90% of my work is still done in Cubase. The only reasons I look at other DAWs is I do think the Cubase workflow is still not as fast as I think it should be (as with most other DAWs), and I just don't like the new mixer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search