The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need help choosing which version of Cubase to get DAW Software
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

I need help choosing which version of Cubase to get

I haven't done any recording for a long time and I want to get back into it. I have 2 things that I need help with.

Firstly, I need help choosing which version of Cubase to get.

From what I understand, there are 3 versions of Cubase.

Cubase Elements 7
Cubase Artist 7.5
Cubase 7.5

I really don't want to spend too much money, so Cubase 7.5 can't be an option for me. Cubase Artist 7.5 is quite pricey too but if it turns out to be sufficient for what I need, then I'll consider it.

So what I'd like to know is if Cubase Elements will be good enough for me, or if it's too basic.

I'm not a very technical person (although I do get by), and I like to keep things simple. All I really need to do is just record audio, add some effects, program some midi drums using audio samples of drum hits, do a decent simple mix, and that's it. Will Elements do all of that?

I used to use Logic Platinum 5.5, but for technical reasons I can't use it any more. If Cubase Elements does what Logic Platinum does, then that will be good enough. So I'd like to know if it does, from anyone who knows.

I have an Alesis iO2 Express, which I want to use to record audio. Would that be compatible with Cubase?

Also, I would like to know if there are any decent programs online for free, that I can use for the time being. I tried using Soundation ( Soundation — Make music online ) and I tried programming some basic drums but I couldn't make head or tail of it. I mean, I can program them, but I can't find a drum kit.

It would need to be compatible with my Alesis iO2 Express.

Please do bear in mind that my knowledge of jargon is limited, so don't hesitate to dumb things down for me. I won't be offended. Ironically, I almost have an audio engineering diploma.

Thanks.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Cubase Elements does not have sidechaining but other than that it has plenty of features and more than adequate for midi, tracking and mixing.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
Cubase Elements does not have sidechaining but other than that it has plenty of features and more than adequate for midi, tracking and mixing.
Thanks.

I usually like to use samples of drum hits and program them to make beats. Would I be able to do that in elements?

And would I be able to put effects on midi tracks?

Also, what's sidechaining?
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

You can use a sampler as a virtual instrument and apply effects via inserts. But I don't think you can apply effects directly to midi tracks, but an audio track is created whenever you load a vsti. Here is a comparison chart: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Cubase/Generation_7/Cubase_7.5/Downloads/C75-CA75-CE7_extensive_comparison_chart_-_2013_11_26.pdf

Sidechaining is using a separate source to compress, expand, eq etc., another source. For example, you might want to duck a heavy guitar when the vocal comes in. The vocal source can compress the guitar source, giving more room for the vocal. Someone can probably explain it better than I can.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can use a sampler as a virtual instrument and apply effects via inserts. But I don't think you can apply effects directly to midi tracks, but an audio track is created whenever you load a vsti. Here is a comparison chart: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Cubase/Generation_7/Cubase_7.5/Downloads/C75-CA75-CE7_extensive_comparison_chart_-_2013_11_26.pdf

Sidechaining is using a separate source to compress, expand, eq etc., another source. For example, you might want to duck a heavy guitar when the vocal comes in. The vocal source can compress the guitar source, giving more room for the vocal. Someone can probably explain it better than I can.
Oh yes I remember about sidechaining. For example, making one track drop out when another one plays, i.e. a kick drum. If I remember correctly. I did my sound engineering course over 10 years ago, so some of it is a bit hazy now. I don't think I'll be needing anything like that.

Thanks for that pdf.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Yea that's it. Used a lot in electronic stuff to pump synthesizer's.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Would you say that elements does pretty much what Logic Platinum 5.5 does? Is it basically the same or better? If you say yes, I'll buy it this week.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

I've never used Logic but they have a demo version of cubase elements I think. You might give that a go. It runs for thirty days with no limitations.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've never used Logic but they have a demo version of cubase elements I think. You might give that a go. It runs for thirty days with no limitations.
Ok. Would I be able to use my Alesis iO2 Express with elements? Also I notice that elements doesn't seem to have any dynamics processing. That's a bit cruel of them.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Yea any interface that supports asio should work. It does have a channel strip on each channel with compressor, gate, xpander, limiter and tape simulation. I think they have compressor and limiter plugins too. You can route your midi to audio tracks and use those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campador View Post
Ok. Would I be able to use my Alesis iO2 Express with elements? Also I notice that elements doesn't seem to have any dynamics processing. That's a bit cruel of them.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
I need help choosing which version of Cubase to get-burnsy.jpg  
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear
I would get the Cubase 7 as possible so no more upgrade to higher end DAW and the price is not that far apart from other lower Cubase version. Cubase is very good at MIDI and audio DAW of choice for my studio for year since Cubase vst32...I have had use ProTools, Logic, Sonar, Harrison mixbuss, and Cubase is my daily DAW for score composing and audio multitrack.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
I would get the Cubase 7 as possible so no more upgrade to higher end DAW and the price is not that far apart from other lower Cubase version. Cubase is very good at MIDI and audio DAW of choice for my studio for year since Cubase vst32...I have had use ProTools, Logic, Sonar, Harrison mixbuss, and Cubase is my daily DAW for score composing and audio multitrack.
I appreciate what you're saying but really, my needs are simple. But just out of interest, if I did want to upgrade in the future, what would that involve?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
If add up the two (original plus upgrade) would cost more than buying cubase 7 at first...
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
The free version of Presonus Studio One might be enough for you since the limitations concern mostly the use of third party vst/i, and it is also a little bit more intuitive than cubase

PreSonus | Studio One - Start Free, Go Pro

The manuel is available in the demo version of Studio One pro.
Old 8th March 2014
Deleted User
Cubase Elements would meet your needs. I have been using Nuendo & Cubase for around 10 years, FWIW. I have no plans to change.

All that said, you might look at Reaper. A full license is around $60, last time I looked. It's a free download. There's a learning curve, but it will probably do just about anything you'll ever want to.
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

I'll have a look at Reaper, thanks.

Mirka, I downloaded Studio One. It looks straightforward enough, but I'm having problems.

One of the things that I want to do is program drum beats using samples of drum hits. But for now, I'm just trying to figure out how to program beats using whatever drum kits the software comes with.

So I create an instrument track. Then I create a part. Then I view the editor. The grid appears, with the vertical keyboard on the left, which is what I expected. I tap on on the keyboard but there's no sound. I double click on the grid and create notes, but when I click on them there's no sound. I go to the listen tool and click on the notes, but again, no sound. I play the track, but nothing.

All I want is to do what I used to do which is to use MIDI channel 10 to program drums.

It's very confusing.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hey I'm having trouble getting studio one to recognize my Alesis io2Express. I went to the audio setup thingy and it's not there in the drop down menu.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey I'm having trouble getting studio one to recognize my Alesis io2Express. I went to the audio setup thingy and it's not there in the drop down menu.

Reinstall your interface drivers. If that doesn't work, reinstall studio one.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

If I reinstall studio one, will my work be ok? I know that's a really stupid question, and I know the answer is yes, but I'm just asking for peace of mind.

Also, is there anything that I may have missed? Any setup on studio one other than the audio setup?
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I reinstall studio one, will my work be ok? I know that's a really stupid question, and I know the answer is yes, but I'm just asking for peace of mind.

Also, is there anything that I may have missed? Any setup on studio one other than the audio setup?
You saved file should not be affected by a re-install (you could back up all the data to be certain and if I were you I would.)

You could try installing the ASIO4ALL driver and routing your audio through that.

iO2 Express 24-Bit USB Recording Interface

Sepc & Downloads tab.

Do take a look at Reaper, for $60 (unless you are making more than $20K from what you do with audio) it really is an exceptional value.
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
You saved file should not be affected by a re-install (you could back up all the data to be certain and if I were you I would.)

You could try installing the ASIO4ALL driver and routing your audio through that.

iO2 Express 24-Bit USB Recording Interface

Sepc & Downloads tab.

Do take a look at Reaper, for $60 (unless you are making more than $20K from what you do with audio) it really is an exceptional value.
Thanks. I downloaded it, and I selected it in the drop down menu. It worked in the sense that I can now see the audio level go up and down when I arm a track and strum my guitar, but I can't hear anything. All the levels are up on the alesis. It did create wav files and I can hear what I played when I open them but I can't hear anything on studio one. Also, I programmed some drums and I can no longer hear them.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I downloaded it, and I selected it in the drop down menu. It worked in the sense that I can now see the audio level go up and down when I arm a track and strum my guitar, but I can't hear anything. All the levels are up on the alesis. It did create wav files and I can hear what I played when I open them but I can't hear anything on studio one. Also, I programmed some drums and I can no longer hear them.
To hear your guitar as you are recording you would need to have the input monitor function on, the little blue speaker icon next to the record button.

As far as the programed drums, i don't know why you can not hear them.

If you can see input - but get no output, it most likely either a setting or a hardware problem. The software seems to be doing what it should though.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I see no reason why you'd have to use ASIO4all - just reinstall the drivers for your audio device, unless ASIO4all was what was packed in.

In that case you'll want to get accustomed to recording in Studio One - see this video for help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maq0oIhf2IY
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Start with elements. Upgrade later if you need more features.
Old 1st April 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help. I downloaded asio4all and it's fine now.

But now I have another problem, I'm so angry I could rip someone's head off.

The problem is that this damn program is so slow. At first it took a little while to load, and that's fine. But now that I'm starting to actually record stuff, it's so slow that I can literally make a cup of tea while waiting. And the same thing goes for closing it. And then it slows down my computer and everything takes ages. Opening webpages, opening folders, anything. Everything goes back to normal after a while, but this program not only is slow as a mother****er, it slows down my computer.

What's going on with this program? Over the last few weeks I've been getting used to it and if I have to abandon it and start from scratch with another program, I think I'll jump out the window.

Why is studio one so damn slow? I can't work like this. This is completely intolerable and unacceptable. I know it's free but this is ridiculous.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

It should not be slowing your computer down at all when its closed.

I mean if your computer has low RAM, a large pagefile and a slow hard disc I can imagine that what you describe could be happening. The program itself though would not be to be blame in that case.

System specifications?
Old 1st April 2014
Here for the gear

Windows 7, 64 bit, plenty of ram. 2 GB I think. I've never had issues like this before with any software.

I just tried opening it. It took so long that I had to open task manager and force it to just close because it was driving me crazy. This program is a complete failure. It really is slowing down my computer after it closes. Everything goes back to normal after a short while, but it does slow it down. But my issue is that it just takes forever to open, and when it does, and I play my song, I hear a weird distortion in time with the drums. The first time it happened I just closed it and opened it again and it was fine. But now it does it every time.

Basically I have no music software. I may as well not have any. This is useless and I've spent the last few weeks of my life learning how to use it.

The only thing I can think of that might be slowing things down is the fact that at some point I created lots of tracks, and there are lots of things called Presence (I'll be ****ed if I know what that even means), and whenever I open my song I can see it going through them all. I hid them, but obviously they're still there. Maybe that's what's slowing it down, but then again why would that be? I mean, if those presence thingies, whatever they are, if they are part of the software and if they have a use, then it shouldn't be slowing anything down because they exist for a reason and they are supposed to be used. I don't get it.

And I only have 1 audio track with any audio in it. Everything else is mostly programmed drums and a couple of synth tracks. So there's no way that I'm overdoing it with audio.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

2GB is not nearly enough RAM if you are loading up on samplers and recording at the same time.

for a 64Bit system I personally would consider 4GB the starting point.

The distortion might be from system overload or from the sample rate not synching properly, who knows.

2 Weeks is not a long time when considering a programs as complex as a DAW. Try the Reaper demo, or Tracktion 5, I would not really look at the heavy DAWs unless you plan to upgrade your computer a bit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search