The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need help choosing which version of Cubase to get DAW Software
Old 2nd April 2014
CPU? Motherboard model?
It sounds like either your system is just very slow, or more likely, full of background applications and bad or old drivers.
Old 2nd April 2014
Here for the gear

The only thing that I need it for right now is to sequence some drums and record a bit of guitar. That's it. 2 GB surely should be enough for that. I haven't even begun using the sampler or anything else. Literally, all I'm doing is sequencing drums and recording guitar tracks. And sequencing keyboards.

Yes I've spent some weeks learning it, but I haven't gone too in depth with it because like I say I don't need it for that much, at least for now. So, most of what I need to know, I know.

I just don't think the issue is my ram. The reason why I don't think it is that is because everything was working just fine, and then all of a sudden it slowed down. I must have done something. I have dragged a lot of things from the right of the screen onto the arrange window, which made a keyboard pop up, which I closed, and then I had a new track, with something called Presence on it. I don't know what Presence is. I have done that about 80 times, so I have 80 or so of these presence things. Every time I open the program it goes through everything that needs to be opened, and those 80 or so presence things is included. Maybe that's what is slowing it down. But I don't know. I don't even know how to delete them. All I managed to do was hide them in the console.

But, if I did get extra ram, would it be ok to get something that I can just plug into one of the usbs? If so, any recommendations?
Old 11th April 2014
Here for the gear

I've been using Ohmstudio and it's driving me mad.

Aaaaaaaarrrrgghh!

**** it, I'm going to get Cubase Elements. I just need to know, is it better to get the CD, or download it? Does one have an advantage over the other?
Old 13th April 2014
I had to laugh when I read "I think I'll jump out a window" LOL!

I laughed again at "I have plenty of RAM...2 GB's..." Yeah, as said, you may want 4 GB's to get started.

Another 'option' (one of many) is to buy an older version of Cubase. I entered into the computer DAW world with Cubase VST 5/32 way back....and it has been useful for several years. I spent like $650 on it with their WaveLab 3 together as a pack...I've seen it for sale on ebay for the price of a Taco Bell lunch for two! So much for old software's value. It was Steinbergs 'flagship' software at the time.

Maybe you can find a newer Cubase version than VST 5/32 though!...SX3, Cubase, 4, 5 or 6.

But really, if I was just starting out, I'd buy the current version...that's what I did, and I didn't feel a need to upgrade for well over a decade! Especially now that everything is gearing toward 64 bit these days, that's something to consider now too.

If I wasn't using Cubase, I'd probably use Cakewalk myself. Computer DAW's have a steep learning curve, so don't be in a rush to jump out any windows!

Get yourself a proper audio card, one that is designed for at least 'home studio' recording with ASIO, low latency recording, etc. Be prepared to spend near $100 min (mine was almost $800). Though you can buy one used for maybe $50 or so, when it may have went for $200 when new, and be decent too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search