The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can Cubase use more than 4gb ram on a mac?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Can Cubase use more than 4gb ram on a mac?

I've been planning on getting a mac pro... either an 8 core, 2.4ghz, with 32gb owc ram... or a 6 core, 3.33ghz, 12gb ram... both total up to be about the same price.

Anyway, I'll be using Cubase 5 and I just found out it only runs at 32 bit which was a disappointment for me. I'm worried it won't be able to use the full amount of ram. Is it true that Cubase 5 can only use 4GB ram on mac systems since 64bit Cubase can't run on a mac?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

All 32-bit applications, including Cubase, can use a maximum of 4 GB of RAM on OSX.

Note that 4 GB is the PROGRAM limit --other apps can still use RAM on top of Cubase's 4 GB.

And if you use Kontakt inside Cubase, you can just activate the Kontakt memory server which means the OSX treats Kontakt as an additional application. That's neat.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok thanks, hopefully we get a 64bit version of Cubase one day. That's excellent to know about the NI server though. I'll mainly be using Kontakt and Battery within Cubase... would each instance of Kontakt have an additional 4GB limit?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually I haven't thought of that but I think NI recommends using only one instance of Kontakt as VSTi.

Kontakt has lots of RAM-related tweaks you can activate also, in order to keep your RAM tidy.

4+4 Gigs has been enough for my biggest projects -however, I'd imagine the 64-bit version is not that far away..
Old 27th December 2010
TNM
Lives for gear
cubase 6 will be 64 bit
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

You could also considered using 'VE Pro' to host 64-bit VSTs on your Mac !

Vienna Symphonic Library - Vienna Ensemble Pro

or Just wait for Cubase 6.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

What about jBridge? Works like a charm here on my PC - useful also for 32-bit plugs that will not load inside C5 64-bit. You may want to check to see if there is a Mac version...

Cheers.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
What about jBridge? Works like a charm here on my PC - useful also for 32-bit plugs that will not load inside C5 64-bit. You may want to check to see if there is a Mac version...

Cheers.
Cubase 5 is not yet a 64-bit DAW for Mac. So, jBridge will not help, since basically assists in runnning 32-bit VSTs in a 64-bit DAW. (i.e. in Cubase 5-64bit). Plus, I'm not sure jBridge is available for Mac at this time, I think it is only for Windows.

imho. VE Pro might at this time be the most suitable tool to run 64-bit VSTs with Cubase 5 (32-bit) on Mac.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
So, jBridge will not help, since basically assists in runnning 32-bit VSTs in a 64-bit DAW.
That's not the only thing it helps with. It also helps with taking advantage of more RAM outside the host. So, if you have 12 GB, and can only use up to 4GB in the host b/c it is 32-bit, you can load plugs into jB, and take advantage of the rest of the available system RAM. But again, I am still not sure if jB is avail for Mac.

Cheers.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you want your DAW use more than 4GB natively on Mac use Logic. Of course some VI's will use more than that limit, like VEP and Kontakt. But the only DAW that I'm aware that uses that is Logic for now.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That's not the only thing it helps with. It also helps with taking advantage of more RAM outside the host. So, if you have 12 GB, and can only use up to 4GB in the host b/c it is 32-bit, you can load plugs into jB, and take advantage of the rest of the available system RAM. But again, I am still not sure if jB is avail for Mac.

Cheers.
Thanks for the useful feedback regarding jBridge's additional advantages. Pretty Cool !

I'm sure jBridge is a PC only application at this time. Here is a link to their website to confirm this. jBridge « J’s stuff

@phas3d : The other DAW that is currently 64-bit on Mac (supports VST & AU) , and Windows (VST) is 'Studio One Pro' by Presonus. PreSonus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search