The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simple routing from Cubase to Outboard Gear MIDI Processors
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Question Simple routing from Cubase to Outboard Gear

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help a friend setup an external stereo Comp>EQ chain that he can use from Cubase on his MacBookPro. It should be very simple to do. I'd be able to setup it up quickly with my setup (002, PT) because I'm familiar with it. But he has a Metric Halo ULN2 and the latest Cubase 5 which I don't have any experience with. What's throwing me off is the MIO console mixer (software controller driver for his interface) and the Cubase interface.

Please tell me if my signal flow makes any sense:

Here's the back of the interface. We're coming out of the 1/4" analog outs, going to the gear and coming back in the multijack (XLR+1/4") analog ins. (we tried coming back XLR but it was activating the mic pre which we didn't need because we're at line level, so we're coming back 1/4" TRS)

In the MIO mixer where you can configure any kind routing for this unit (here's a picture of someone elses) I have the following. (The labels DAW1 and FW1 etc are coming from this MIO mixer, not my creations.)

DAW1 & DAW2 (this is what's coming from the computer/Cubase)
to Monitor Outs (so we can hear the music)
and also to Analog 1 and 2 outs (so it goes through the hardware loop and we can see it on the meters on the front of the unit)
Then Analog IN 1 and 2 to FW1 and FW2 (back in the computer)

Now I have my original track playing out 1&2. I create a new track (inputs 1&2 in) and hit record. I now have the process track printed. So it physically works, but I need to improve this to a more practical/usable method of either inserting this external comp as a plugin (something you can do in this cubase which seems very cool) or another easy, quick way to monitor the effects live. If I hit mute on the original track while I'm recording it cuts off the audio from going to analog 1&2. I want to make it very easy for my friend so the less work the better.

I know I'm doing something wrong (a lot of things wrong?)
Please help my confused brain.

Should I be using the send and receive in's and out's on this unit instead (the only other option other than digital)
Should I be using a send (pre fader?) in Cubase?
Maybe DAW2 and DAW3 in this MIO console?

I feel I have too many things on same channels and I'll either cancel everything or get a feedback loop.

Ideally, I'd like to use the hardware insert feature in Cubase.

Thanks for any help.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search