The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Go grab it boys and girls it's fresh out of the oven

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - Cubase (Studio) 5.5.0 Updates Available
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Addict
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Hands on testing..

Loading file got a bit faster.
new editing tools..

still checking on the new features manual... seems a lot of tuning under the hood.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

the free warp.. i dont know if it is new as i seldom "free warp"
but this "free warp" is really close with logic 9. Basically you just click on the transient, and drag and snap to the closest grid.

It works !!. thumbsup
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Great, this will be fun testing tommorow, just started a new track!
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Of course they will leave bugs behind, it´s their business model. Has been for years.

AND 64bit!!!!!!!!
Like all the others mayor DAW manufacturers as well. Really, wake up...

RGH
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
What "fundamentals"?
advertised features that still dont work

There bridge is still a shambles and thats it, im done with giving steinberg any more cash, what a wait for a update that dont deliver.

keep your crap gui and your toys.

the godamn screen still disapearns when you hold left mouse and try to adjust plugins, and they call it win7 compatible .

what a shambles before any one jumps on me and tells me to switch off aero , reaper works perfectly fine with aero on.

so does there bridge.

fuuck steinberg
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Go grab it boys and girls it's fresh out of the oven

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - Cubase (Studio) 5.5.0 Updates Available
Oh yes
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Of course they will leave bugs behind, it´s their business model. Has been for years.

AND 64bit!!!!!!!!

The Moan Zone - Gearslutz.com
Old 21st June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Bye Bye wiseguy - don't let the door hit you, etc .... will miss you loads, sure Charlie Steinberg is slitting his wrists in devastation as I'm writing this ...

P.S. - You've been moaning for years and promising not to upgrade for years, so take your own advice and find something which works for you, instead of bitterly sniping at an application which works really well for lots of people. There are plenty of things Reaper can improve on too, I own both.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Well, well, well... according to most Mac users on the Cubase forum, there now seems to be little or no improvement.

Spikes, program quits, clicks and pops.

That's really too bad.

Cubase 5 needs extreme improvement on multicore Mac's to compete with Logic, what performance is concerned. 5.5 is probably the last chance they'll get on this platform.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Well, well, well... according to most Mac users on the Cubase forum, there now seems to be little or no improvement.

That's really too bad.

Cubase 5 needs extreme improvement on multicore Mac's to compete with Logic, what performance is concerned.

Ive seen a big improvement a lower latency and Im on 10.5.8 I bet 10.6.4 is even better

Thye really have cleaned up the programs and there are lots of nice enhancements for workflow.

I think this is a great update
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Ive seen a big improvement a lower latency and Im on 10.5.8 I bet 10.6.4 is even better

Thye really have cleaned up the programs and there are lots of nice enhancements for workflow.

I think this is a great update
That's the kind of news I had hoped to see today.

I would really like to understand why it works so great for you, but so bad for the other guys.

Are you on a multicore (4 or more)? If not, then I'm afraid that's explanation.
Old 21st June 2010

Quote:

That's really too bad.

Cubase 5 needs extreme improvement on multicore Mac's to compete with Logic, what performance is concerned. 5.5 is probably the last chance they'll get on this platform.
heh LOL

That almost describes how Logic Pro runs on my Mac.

I've actually had enough of the Mac platform. Period.

I experimented with migrating to Cubase 4 on a PC and it's been a great success, then on to Cubase 5 which has been stunning and so stable now 5.5 looks fantastic.

Yamaha have made a huge difference to Steiny in terms of quality control, Cubase 5 is THE most stable DAW I have ever used, and I use a ton of 3rd party hardware DSP and plugins.

For the first time in almost 25 years I am considering moving completely over to Cubase 5 even for writing and composing. I have written all my catalog in Creator/Logic but I think I've come to the end of the line, with the whole Apple/Logic thing. I'm becoming "an ex Logic Fanboy" ... never thought I'd say that!

T
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
I experimented with migrating to Cubase 4 on a PC and it's been a great success
I like Cubase on PC, but it's worthless on multicore Mac's (4/8 cores), compared to Logic.

Really hoped that 5.5 would improve things...
Old 21st June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

This is your opinion, not necessarily a fact.

Logic 9 has been incredibly buggy for a lot of people too (no doubt you are going to say it works fine for you)

The people who post on the cubase forum as a percentage of total users is very small. Usually when an update occurs you can expect a couple of dozen complaints, from the hundreds or thousands who update.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Logic 9 has been incredibly buggy for a lot of people too (no doubt you are going to say it works fine for you)
Huh? 'Going to say'... What is it with you Cubase guys? What kind of world do you live in? Why the religion? Like I give a sh!t which daw I use...

I would love to use Cubase on my multicore Mac's if it were half as fast as it is on my old PC.

I would also love to use Logic 9 if it were any better than C5. But it isn't, as you point out. So Logic 8 is the best bet for now.
Old 22nd June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

No religion for me (I use Cubase, Live, Reaper and Renoise at home and Logic and Protools at work) - I've been threatened with a ban on the Cubase forum for arguing about things in the past, I'm not some blinkered fanboy and I got ABleton Live instead of updating SX3 to C4, but C5 is working out really well for me. Granted I use a PC at home, but we use multi-core Macs at work and I don't see a whole lot of difference between C5 and Logic 9, in fact we are also using Logic 8 still for some critical projects due to issues with 9.

I have nothing against people complaining - but consistent whining from some people, who have been threatening to ditch Cubase for at least 2 versions, yet who keep on upgrading - they're like masochists who live to moan. Move on and whinge about something else is acceptable if you're concerns are not being addressed for years and stop being bitter. Life's too short to be so down.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Gave it a bit of a go today. It's nice, really I'm surprised at the amount of tweaks. The gui changes are good, if stein keeps it up C6 will be look amazing!

Anyhow I haven't had many problems with C5 so for me these aren't fixes just improvements.

As far as wave editor features i had some concerns;
- had a hard time seeing hit-points under some circumstaces (grey on grey thing)
- what is the point of hit-points if you can't use them for audio-warp or quantizing or any alignment aside from start position? Can't even use them in conjunction with the definition feature(perhaps im missing something?)
- why can't we use hit-point detection to extrapolate tempo and then align to grid?
- I could not figure out how to delete audio-warp's??

attn Devs, feedback:

this is how i would like to be able to work with a piece of loosely recorded audio that is NOT in perfect time or aligned.

1 - open wave editor
2 - use hit-point detection to recognize main points
3 - Extract tempo information from wav OR scale wave to track tempo. Keep in mind some audio may not be perfect across the entire length (Cubase does this but could be improved)
4 - Align start location with the first beat (not a problem)
5 - With Hit-Points use either AudioWarp or Definition to align as needed.
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Re: Cubase 5.5

Everyone should try "free warp" again, much more intuitive, first time ever I can manage a drum recording and make it real tight.. Much more like in logic.. Cool..
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

The update went pretty quick for me, without needing to put the disks in.

One issue though...in VariAudio, in Segments, I can't snip a segment in half anymore...anyone else know what I must be missing here?
Old 22nd June 2010
Led
Lives for gear

Works fine here. You have to be in the 'segment' section and put your cursor on the bottom edge of the segment, then the scissors will automatically come up and snip snip you go.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Works fine here. You have to be in the 'segment' section and put your cursor on the bottom edge of the segment, then the scissors will automatically come up and snip snip you go.
Yes, that's how it USED to work for me...now it isn't. I'll keep messin' with it...
Old 22nd June 2010
Led
Lives for gear

Hey Mark, it has changed a little it seems to only work if your cursor is on the middle of the segment at the bottom of the clip. On smaller segments you need to zoom in a lot (ctrl + scroll wheel now, very cool), although it doesn't seem to work just anywhere like it used to. Try posting over at cubase.net on the forums and maybe someone will know what's happening.
Cheers.

edit - I posted a topic over there as I'd like to know what is happenening too. Will report back.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Just installed Cubase 5.5 on my PC Laptop prior to installing it on my studio Mac.
This flys on the laptop/PC.
Vari Audio works perfect and quicker. Did you try highlighting it, or either horizontally and/or vertically widening it and then trying the scissors?
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
I have nothing against people complaining - but consistent whining from some people, who have been threatening to ditch Cubase for at least 2 versions, yet who keep on upgrading - they're like masochists who live to moan.
Agree.

I left Cubase @ vs. SX3, but upgraded to C5 almost a year ago for one reason only:

Steinberg promised a soon-to-come update that would solve the issues on 8 core Mac's.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agree.

I left Cubase @ vs. SX3, but upgraded to C5 almost a year ago for one reason only:

Steinberg promised a soon-to-come update that would solve the issues on 8 core Mac's.

Well, did they solve it?

Roger
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Well, did they solve it?

Roger
Apparently not, according to most users in the Cubase forum.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Hey Mark, it has changed a little it seems to only work if your cursor is on the middle of the segment at the bottom of the clip. On smaller segments you need to zoom in a lot (ctrl + scroll wheel now, very cool), although it doesn't seem to work just anywhere like it used to. Try posting over at cubase.net on the forums and maybe someone will know what's happening.
Cheers.

edit - I posted a topic over there as I'd like to know what is happenening too. Will report back.
Well, I closed and opened the program a couple times, and also tried many different segments...it's not a matter of segment size being too small, nor is it that I can't find the sweet spot under the segment...it just won't give me the scissors.

I'll reinstall tonight, but it's definitely not working on mine...and I had become quite familiar with VariAudio in the prior version.

I'll report back tomorrow after a reinstall...might end up over at Cubase forums after all.

Thanks Led and CJ1973!
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
this is how i would like to be able to work with a piece of loosely recorded audio that is NOT in perfect time or aligned.

1 - open wave editor
2 - use hit-point detection to recognize main points
3 - Extract tempo information from wav OR scale wave to track tempo. Keep in mind some audio may not be perfect across the entire length (Cubase does this but could be improved)
4 - Align start location with the first beat (not a problem)
5 - With Hit-Points use either AudioWarp or Definition to align as needed.
One of the problems with hitpoints that I find is the fact that you get clicks at each cut in the audio. does anyone else notice this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search