The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Nut

Just moved to Logic 9 and could not be happier, the workflow is much more refined that in Cubase 5, and the plug-ins so far have been better.

I am sure if I looked hard enough, I could find some stuff that is better in Cubase 5, but nothing is obvious so far.

I plan to sell my PC with Cubase 4 studio, Cubase4 & 5 ( yeah upgrades), think I have finally had enough with PC based DAW's.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorke View Post
Just moved to Logic 9 and could not be happier, the workflow is much more refined that in Cubase 5, and the plug-ins so far have been better.

I am sure if I looked hard enough, I could find some stuff that is better in Cubase 5, but nothing is obvious so far.

I plan to sell my PC with Cubase 4 studio, Cubase4 & 5 ( yeah upgrades), think I have finally had enough with PC based DAW's.
Nice...long as you find a DAW that works for you. I'm on Cubase 5.1 on Windows Vista 32 and it runs damn near flawless. I tried Logic 9 because of all the hype but my workflow in Cubase is just way too easy in comparison to Logic and I just don't have the time to learn everything again. Not saying Logic sucks or isn't better. Just not for me. Same wit PT. Though the Logic transition from Cubase is alot easier than going to PT. For me at least.
Old 12th June 2010
Here for the gear

Talking Windows 7

After using (and LOVING) Windows 7 x64 on my 'home' PC for months, SSL finally released Win7x64 drivers for my MADIXtreme card, and I made the switch to 7 with my C5 DAW. Did my first session (have done much work at home with it) with the new OS last night, tracking drums ... It performed absolutely flawlessly. SSL has not released ASIO64 drivers quite yet, so I am running the 32-bit version of C5; I don't have access to all my RAM directly yet. I can run C5x64 with my Mackie i1220 at home, but not with my AlphaLink yet.

Windows 7 is the first OS Microsoft has gotten right. Attempted Vista three separate times on my home PC and bailed on it everytime. Total garbage. Though similar in a lot of ways, 7 is competely freakin stable!! It simply HAS NOT CRASHED AT ALL for me. Far beyond my expectations.

It's funny to me that so many people are moving to Mac (paying way more for the same processing power and very limited upgrade paths, by comparison....? ) just when Microsoft has finally pulled their heads out. It is my STRONG opinion that anyone considering leaving the PC world right now should reconsider and check out Win7 ... and spend the money you don't spend on an overpriced Mac on plugins and gear. Unless you wanna do Logic, in which case... Well, you know.

Obviously I'm not a Mac fan, and similarly not a Pro Tools fan (at ALL) ... for many of the same reasons: Overpriced and proprietary, but not better. I enjoy my freedom of choice. To each their own, of course.

I'm rambling. Just killing time till I can DL 5.5!!!!
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

To those who request the beat detective style features:

As convenient as it would be for batch processing simpler material, have any of you tried the slip editing method instead? This is basically the 'only' way the Cubase editors I know work, myself included. Oddly, many seem to prefer it to BD as well. Certainly a different work flow.
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabealicious View Post
After using (and LOVING) Windows 7 x64 on my 'home' PC for months, SSL finally released Win7x64 drivers for my MADIXtreme card, and I made the switch to 7 with my C5 DAW. Did my first session (have done much work at home with it) with the new OS last night, tracking drums ... It performed absolutely flawlessly. SSL has not released ASIO64 drivers quite yet, so I am running the 32-bit version of C5; I don't have access to all my RAM directly yet. I can run C5x64 with my Mackie i1220 at home, but not with my AlphaLink yet.

Windows 7 is the first OS Microsoft has gotten right. Attempted Vista three separate times on my home PC and bailed on it everytime. Total garbage. Though similar in a lot of ways, 7 is competely freakin stable!! It simply HAS NOT CRASHED AT ALL for me. Far beyond my expectations.

It's funny to me that so many people are moving to Mac (paying way more for the same processing power and very limited upgrade paths, by comparison....? ) just when Microsoft has finally pulled their heads out. It is my STRONG opinion that anyone considering leaving the PC world right now should reconsider and check out Win7 ... and spend the money you don't spend on an overpriced Mac on plugins and gear. Unless you wanna do Logic, in which case... Well, you know.

Obviously I'm not a Mac fan, and similarly not a Pro Tools fan (at ALL) ... for many of the same reasons: Overpriced and proprietary, but not better. I enjoy my freedom of choice. To each their own, of course.

I'm rambling. Just killing time till I can DL 5.5!!!!
Sorry, but you're very wrong.
Give me a PC with the same power, the same memory management and stability of a MacPro...

I've 7 computers now, 2 of them are Mac's.
I regret I didn't bought the Mac 's sooner...
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Re: Cubase 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31

Sorry, but you're very wrong.
Give me a PC with the same power, the same memory management and stability of a MacPro...

I've 7 computers now, 2 of them are Mac's.
I regret I didn't bought the Mac 's sooner...
Well, sometimes you need to know a bit computer when you setting up the pc, while you can be a complete fool to use a mac. Yes, I'm quite a mac fan, however, there is no reason to make music with a higher price tag, that's why my main daw is an i7 pc, no trouble at all.

I would suggest if anyone use a lot of processing plugs to stay with xp 32bit at the moment, while if you record and tracking with VIs, you will be completely happy with 64bit C5 with 64bit W7. You can always make it dual boot or get a removable os drive, painless
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Cubase is getting too bloaty.Get rid of loopmash and all these DJ gizmos. Eveyrtime I open up the mixer I get a headache.Buttons and options for miles.
Where is the Amen! button?
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

It's just remarkable how so many divergent threads ultimately turn around and lead back to the same existential question that has been haunting mankind for eons: why PC's are better than Macs.
Old 13th June 2010
Here for the gear

Red face Better? No.

Zephonic: I'm not saying better. I'm saying cheaper. I am, however, saying equal in power, and I have used both Mac Pro and an i7 PC for recording (which is my current rig). There was no appreciable difference, in my experience.

Raylai: I use many CPU-hungry plugins. MANY. Windows 7 is no less stable than XP, and shows no more CPU usage in Cubase. So I'm not sure what you're basing your advice on. I am advising precisely the opposite: NOW is finally the time to leave XP for Windows 7. 7 rocks.

KDP: To me, Cubase is not really bloated. I use most of the features in the mixer window. That said, it is extremely configurable! If you don't want or need to see something, odds are you can hide it, and quite easily in fact. RTM or just do some right clicking. I have no use for LoopMash and similar features, but I'm sure many people do. Don't like it? Don't use it. It's not like a popup window that gets up in your grill if you're not using it. Sounds like maybe you just don't like Cubase. Same advice.
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Magneto is still available as a download from Steinberg's FTP site under legacy plugins and works under C5. (PC only)
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Leg...0SX%20Plugins/
Thanks for that! I've heard about Magneto for a long time now but never thought to seek it out...I look forward to checking this out. thumbsup
Old 14th June 2010
I remember when Cubase 5 came out on Steinberg's site they had written that they are aware of the SOLO/MUTE bug and that in order to fix it they will be rewriting the Cubase 5 engine and it will be available in a future update. Does anyone know if this is still going to happen?
Old 15th June 2010
Here for the gear

Question Solo/Mute bug?

What is the Solo/Mute bug? There have been a couple of updates since 5 was released...
Old 18th June 2010
Deleted User
Just ordered C5 today. Anyone know when C5 came out?

C5 looks cool. Should be stable till 5.5 shows up
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Just ordered C5 today
Man you got balls. You've just bought a villa in Afghanistan. It's your cash but if I were you I'd have waited for the 5.5 update to be released and see what users make of it.
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Man you got balls. You've just bought a villa in Afghanistan. It's your cash but if I were you I'd have waited for the 5.5 update to be released and see what users make of it.
Even with all the bells and whistles me and many people sell golden an platinum records with Cubase!!

Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post
Even with all the bells and whistles me and many people sell golden an platinum records with Cubase!!

Without, you meant without, didn't you?
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Just ordered C5 today. Anyone know when C5 came out?

C5 looks cool. Should be stable till 5.5 shows up
C5.1.1 has never crashed on me, and I've been using that daily since it was released.

Peter
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You've just bought a villa in Afghanistan.
Wrong metaphor -- US geologists recently found for $1 trillion gold and titanium in Afghanistan.
Old 18th June 2010
Here for the gear

here's hoping the VST Bridge has been sorted out.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Wrong metaphor -- US geologists recently found for $1 trillion gold and titanium in Afghanistan.
We'll have to wait till 5.5 is released. Maybe I chose the right metaphor after all!
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll have to wait till 5.5 is released. Maybe I chose the right metaphor after all!
Let's hope so. thumbsup
Old 18th June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

C5.1.1 has only crashed on me a couple of times, and one of those was when my firewire interface was accidentally yanked out in the middle of a recording, the crash caused by the audio interface driver. The backup restored it.

I've had one other project file which got corrupted after a crash but thankfully, I was able to repair with backup .bak files and rename the file and saved it in a different location and it's worked fine since.

This is more than acceptable in the 6 or 7 months of using 5.1.1 heavily IMO.

I'm just hoping that 5.5 doesn't introduce some nasty gremlins ! Hopefully not, as it should have been rigorously tested given they announced it so long ago.
Old 18th June 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
You should sell your Cubase since your so bitter about it bro, seriously.
Ive waited till NOW to upgrade from C4. I always stay behind the bleeders so its not an issue here. If it is, well, I still have Reaper here
I think Ill use the vari audio and avoid having to buy AutoTune
Old 20th June 2010
Gear Head

today is the 20th! you know what that means dont you?

C 5.5 tomorrow baby!

this is a long anticipated download -

JAMBA
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojamba View Post
C 5.5 tomorrow baby!
I wouldn't hold my breath though. Second quarter in Steinberg speak means anything later than first quarter...

k
Old 20th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Re: Cubase 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata

I wouldn't hold my breath though. Second quarter in Steinberg speak means anything later than first quarter...

k
No. The 21th thing is official from steiny.

Cheers
Old 20th June 2010
Here for the gear

Cubase 5.5,is amazing...
Old 20th June 2010
Gear Maniac

well we will have to see, if the fundimentals have been left out and users forced to upgrade to cb6 , then steiny can put a sock in it, as i wont be upgrading again.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

What "fundamentals"?
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
well we will have to see, if the fundimentals have been left out and users forced to upgrade to cb6 , then steiny can put a sock in it, as i wont be upgrading again.
Of course they will leave bugs behind, it´s their business model. Has been for years.

AND 64bit!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search