The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS View Post
Is funny to see all the cubase user talk about cubase, i'm a pro tools Le user and i'm testing out cubase 5, there where few features that attracted me to cubase but i most say the layout it's really weird, and get this i took me about 1hr to figure out to set my 003 in cubase i dont see my self using this past the 30 trial, and didn't really get into editing but editing for me was a bit difficult and time consuming in logic 8.

only sharing a thought
LMAO!...I feel the exact opposite. But you're talking to a guy that's been using Cubase for the past 6 yrs. Some of the simplest little things that I do in Cubase were taking me forever in PT. Hell, I couldn't understand why i have to setup a metronome? I would think you click a metronome on, and it's on. Just shows my ignorance to PT. Anyway, I even called a buddy of mine who has been working with PT for about as long or longer than i been on Cubase and asked him how to do certain things in PT that I do in Cubase and it was taking were way more steps than it would take me in Cubase. After a few days of trying to match the workflow, I just gave up. I just don't have the time to learn a new daw like that. Not saying that PT is crap and Cubase is better....it's just what I know and what i've mastered. No way I can replace 6yrs w/Cubase in a few days with PT but I just don't have the time to invest in it.
Old 10th May 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

It's never optimal setting up Digidesign hardware with non Digidesign software.

Anything new takes time to get used to. I grew up on Cubase, so found Protools very frustrating at first. I have PT certification and eventually worked through it but changing a DAW is a huge undertaking, not something trivial you'll have mastered in 2 weeks. I still prefer Cubase for most things, I like PT for audio editing better and that's about it.

32 samples is not achievable on every audio interface, it's extremely low latency and honestly, I have never needed to track anything at less than 64 samples (and for everyday work 128 samples is fine, as we don't do a lot of drum tracking).

In my home studio 96 samples is the lowest I can get anyway and given I was laid off from the studio due to the recession after 8 years a few months back I can't do the test. I will forward the link for friends to work on. One thing they agree on is that Logic 9 is more sluggish than v8 was.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Then you haven't done the test. Do it, it's very simple.

I use 3 DAWs -- Logic, Live and Cubase -- (plus Sibelius for scores) and have no problems with that.
Why do I need to do a test? Cubase and Logic both work very well for me. No problem, why do I need to create one to make you or anyone else happy?

As I said... Cubase just needs to work well enough FOR ME. I don't care about your needs or anyone else's, frankly.

Oh, and just because you and I might use more then one DAW doesn't mean anyone else should. People who learn a bunch of DAWs do so at the penalty of their own creativity. It's a choice we make. AGAIN, people don't NEED to chase ultimate performance if they have a workflow that WORKS. People spend a lot of time here and other boards pining about this and that, lowest latency, whatever. That's all fine and good if you're a hobbyest and enjoy the tinkering and learning. However, it's not so good if you would rather spend time making music.

I'm not saying anything about your own need for performance, who am I to judge? I'm saying I personally don't give a flying frack that Logic has better performance. I already have a workflow that WORKS for me, and for those of us who have a workflow with Cubase that works... well, we have no problem!! Moot point.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS View Post
Isi'm testing out cubase 5, there where few features that attracted me to cubase but i most say the layout it's really weird, and get this i took me about 1hr to figure out to set my 003 in cubase i dont see my self using this past the 30 trial, and didn't really get into editing but editing for me was a bit difficult and time consuming in logic 8.
Ya! I only switch DAWs when I must. Do so at your own peril!
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
[*]Stereo width can be added from the Pan dialogue, and this is a really cool feature
just right-click on the panner in cubase and choose which mode of panning you would like to use
Old 12th May 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

+1

however, the different panning modes are only available in the full retail version of Cubase, i.e. SX/2/3 Cubase 4, Cubase 5, not the Studio (Cubase 4 Studio/Cubase 5 Studio), Essentials, LE/SE or the old SL versions of the program.
Old 12th May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
OK, we get it. You like Reaper. From all accounts, it's a fine piece of software with a growing user base. So what's your point of coming in here and crapping all over Cubase?
What seems clear to me, is that Scoox doesn't use REAPER with hardware inserts, if he did, he wouldn't be so quick to call it the best.

I really like REAPER and have used it on my laptop since 2.51. Forget just "for the money" it is simply a great DAW BUT, it absolutely sucks when using it with external hardware. The hardware compensation goes out of sync after each time the session is stopped. A MAJOR pain in the a$$ and something they have to fix if they really want to hang with the PT|HD's and Nuendo/Cubases, where there's extremely solid hardware integration.

Check out the REAPER forum for yourself, Scoox. I happened across some pretty upset people when looking into reainsert grief the other day. It's atrocious and doesn't even appear to be blip on Cockos radar at this point.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

Would be nice to know when it's comming out so I don't have to keep checking every day!!!!
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
Would be nice to know when it's comming out so I don't have to keep checking every day!!!!
I'm guessing beginning of June, they'll push the Q2 release date to the last second. Can't wait to see what (if any) performance improvements they've done for us 4+ core cpu users.
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Baz;5396704]What seems clear to me, is that Scoox doesn't use REAPER with hardware inserts, if he did, he wouldn't be so quick to call it the best./QUOTE]
You are right I only use software, so I cannot comment on that, but I do hope it gets fixed. In the meantime, I have discovered (yet) another DAW also worth looking at: Presonus Studio One Pro. I liky. Not as feature-rich as the Cubase but extremely compelling. It ticks most of the boxes for me actually. I banged on about Samplitude earlier in this post but I have to say Studio One has the best workflow of all DAWs. Steinberg could learn a lot from Presonus. Cubase 5 ticks ALL of the boxes in terms of functionality for me, but in terms of workflow it leaves too many unticked. Studio One ticks almost every box, and I can see it evolving into a very very nice DAW very soon. Presonus really seem to have addressed the complaints of other DAW users and coded one fine piece of software. I can work so fast on it! Well done Presonus! I am going to hold off till 2011 before I go out and buy something else though, for the time being I'll stick with C5 just to see what happens.
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Scoox,

Well, Presonus Studio One developers are ex-Steinberg employees, and their mantra is to develop an intuitive DAW that strips away the bloat that most of the existing DAWs suffer from (i.e. Cubase). So it may be exactly what you're looking for, especially in a year or so when they've identified and fixed any perceived shortcomings.
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Presonus 'Studio One Pro' has huge potential to compete with the more mature DAWs on the market, especially, when it reaches version 2.0 and beyond. I was planning on adding Presonus S1-Pro (version 1.5) as a second option to Cubase 5, but, I think it's still missing some of the features I find very useful to have that are currently implemented in Cubase 5. So, I'm going to wait for S1-Pro version 2.0. Although, by the time S1-Pro gets to version 2.0, Cubase 6 might be ready as well.

Hmmm.... I wonder what Cubase 6 will offer ?

Looking forward to Cubase 5.5
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Presonus 'Studio One Pro' has huge potential to compete with the more mature DAWs on the market, especially, when it reaches version 2.0 and beyond.
Presonus Studio One may have huge potential, but it's still got a long way to go as far as general user interest:

Google Trends: cubase, presonus studio one, logic pro
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
Well, Presonus Studio One developers are ex-Steinberg employees, and their mantra is to develop an intuitive DAW that strips away the bloat that most of the existing DAWs suffer from (i.e. Cubase)
Really? That's very interesting!

I've always wanted a google-interface type of DAW.
Old 15th May 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Strip away bloat is also a metaphor for having a lack of features and plugins

They got to build up their product from scratch and much of the 'bloat' is actually useful sound content where many of us are concerned. Do you imagine that STudio One by the time it reaches version 3 or so and is keeping up with the Joneses, will still be 'bloat free' ??

Bloat is a buzzword used by DAWS like Reaper and Studio One who do not include some functionality such as scoring or advanced MIDI options and don't include sound content, which you don't HAVE to install if you don't want to ... Logic's 10GB of Apple Loops are considered as bloat - but if you don't have an extensive sound library elsewhere, it's a good start.

Reaper users and the like often then go out and buy Kontakt or some other 40GB or more sample library because they get nothing included ... which makes the 'bloat' idea laughable, really.
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

I don't understand why I anybody would turn away from Cubase for anything other than ProTools. If you have to learn a new DAW, might as well learn the one that is the de facto industry standard.
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase has probably the fastest editing capabilities out of all the big sequencers...the only thing I miss currently is Beat Detective / Flex...but Variaudio, automation panel etc very nice
Old 16th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
Cubase has probably the fastest editing capabilities out of all the big sequencers...the only thing I miss currently is Beat Detective / Flex...but Variaudio, automation panel etc very nice
Let's hope that Steinberg adds something like Beat Detective/Flex audio editing in Cubase 6. I don't think we will see this during C5's product cycle.

Funny... LP9 is missing variaudio type (pitch editing), and Cubase 5 is missing (Beat Detective/Flex editing). non of them is providing a complete set of flexible 'pitch' and 'time' editing features together, it's either this or that ....
Old 16th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I don't understand why I anybody would turn away from Cubase for anything other than ProTools. If you have to learn a new DAW, might as well learn the one that is the de facto industry standard.
The thing is I have been playing with Studio One for two days hardly looking at the manual and I already know how to use a great deal of its features. The part of the manual not describing the included plugins is only about 140 pages, and becuase the GUI is similar to other DAWS and has been designed to be intuitive, the transition is actually surprisingly smooth IMHO. Some features are still missing but I think they'll be coded soon. Steinberg could produce the best DAW but they seem to like handing customers over to the competition. Presonus seem to have got things right from the strart, becasue we're all crying for improved workflow and good customer support. This is the dealbreaker for anyone. The rest is almost taken for granted (becasue it has already been implemented anyway). Furthermore, Presonus actually employ a guy whose job is to participate in their forum. I think that's fantastic.
Old 16th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Funny... LP9 is missing variaudio type (pitch editing),
Variaudio is a good example of Cubase bloat -- it sounds terrible compared to Melodyne.

Imagine if Steinberg had spent their resources on performance and stability improvements instead. (And yes, the same could be said about Apple/Logic.)
Old 16th May 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

I think Variaudio is great. I have Melo but never use it anymore. If you want to jack notes all over the spectrum then maybe go Melo or some other gizmo. I use Variaudio sparingly for subtle correction. Works fine. It's simple and intergrated. Now Loopmash...that's not what Steiny should be spending time on.
Old 16th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
I think Variaudio is great. I have Melo but never use it anymore.

That's interesting. Have you ever A/B'ed Variaudio and Mel? I have -- and I really wanted it to work.

Agree about Loopmash.
Old 16th May 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's interesting. Have you ever A/B'ed Variaudio and Mel? I have -- and I really wanted it to work.

Agree about Loopmash.
Yeah I have. What doesn't work?
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I have. What doesn't work?
The sound.

Listen, we can all argue about GUIs and such, but you can't seriously compare Variaudio to Melodyne.
Old 17th May 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sound.

Listen, we can all argue about GUIs and such, but you can't seriously compare Variaudio to Melodyne.
I guess my ears are shot...don't hear it....
Old 17th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I guess my ears are shot...don't hear it....
Come on.. i would rather expecting a better singer performance than a better "sound quality" of the vari audio. However, for the tuning i've worked with vari audio, it sounds good
Old 18th May 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
The sound.

What?
Are you shure with melodyne?????

I prefer the sound of Autotune Evo.
melodyne changes the sound.
Of course melodyne have more options.
But Variaudio is integrated and easy to use.
Old 21st May 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Variaudio does NOT sound terrible, it is definitely comparable to the lower priced melodyne uno.

If you can't get good results with it, it's largely down to the user not knowing how to use it ....
Old 30th May 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Variaudio does NOT sound terrible, it is definitely comparable to the lower priced melodyne uno.

If you can't get good results with it, it's largely down to the user not knowing how to use it ....
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
That may be so -- I don't know Melodyne Uno -- but Variaudio does indeed sound terrible compared to Melodyne Studio.

There's really no need to defend bloatware. Most DAWs are full of it. The risk of using it instead of dedicated soft- or hardware should be obvious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search