The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 5th May 2010
  #121
Gear Addict
 
edwonbass's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
A funny post from from the Cubase forum about LoopMash:

I looked at it once. The thing is a complete and total mystery to me. I have no idea what it does or what it is for. It's seems to be about as far from intuitive as you can get. I can usually figure how to use plugins without RTFM... but this thing, even the manual baffled me. I think it must be for people with younger brains... or at least brains that work differently to mine.

LMFAOheh
That's funny! I felt the same way when I checked out loopmess. I have loaded it twice and it looked like the control panel of a crashed UFO.
I would like to see it moved to Sequel where it belongs.
Old 5th May 2010
  #122
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
That is very true, however I don't think new features appeal to new users. Personally, if I was a new user I'd be looking for three things:

1. Rock-solid reliability
2. Good tech support and active forum partitipation
3. Focus on workflow

We don't want new features, we want things to work, then add the new features.
Users have been begging for years about this stuff. Get rid of the fluff such as Loopmash, and re-focus on core functions and work flow. Fix the things that are broken that we really needed.

Unfortunately "we" are not the majority, and to continue growth Steinberg has decided to seduce future bedroom "DJ's" investing in those who love to make beetz...or whatever. Their marketing is still the "one-box-does-it-all mentality" which of course appeals to newbies and casual users until they discover 3rd party developers do it much better. Isn't Loop Mash Steinbergs answer to Ableton?

I too would be willing to pay for a Pro version of Cubase and a higher level of live technical support. Over the last 6 years the only suggestion has been Nuendo!
Old 5th May 2010
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Oh boy I downloaded Samplitude last night. At the start I was scheptical about it because when I downloaded v9 a while back it wasn't quite up to the mark. However, I have spent the whole day comparing it side by side with Cubase, specifically the features I frequently use, and reading the corresponding pages of the user manual. In addition, I checked for features I wish Cubase had. To cut a long story short, I am blown away by Samplitude. I kid you not. All the features I miss from Cubase have already been implemented in Samplitude.

Good news:
  • So far I haven't found one thing Cubase can do that Samplitude can't, but several the other way round.
  • <orgasm>Samplitude loads in under two seconds </orgasm>
  • My MCU finally works the way it should
  • I can undo and redo mixer moves and still can take mixer snapshots
  • I can save VST2 presets wherever I please
  • The comping system is a bit different but very effective.
  • Object-oriented (or whatever it's called) vs Traditional DAW is awesome. Each clip can have it's own effects which get turned off when playback of that clip has finished, reducing CPU/RAM usage and therefore the need to freeze tracks.
  • MDI windows (e.g. the mixer, plugin GUIs, etc) do not dissappear when the DAW loses focus (unlike Cubase)
  • It does not have crappy toy-like plugins.
  • Stereo width can be added from the Pan dialogue, and this is a really cool feature
  • It has a thing like Variaudio, which I still haven't tested (I use Melodyne anyway)
Bad news:
  • Plugin tweaks cannot be undone, which is a useful feature.
  • Cannot rename plugins like in REAPER
  • Can't close plugin GUI by hitting ESC key, like in REAPER, so you have to hunt for the tiny X button on the top-left corner of the GUI...
  • It seems quite stable although I have had a few crashes so far, but I think it's due to a dodgy graphics drive I installed yesterday (other things have since become unstable)
Things I still need to check out:
  • Sidechaining (there IS a section about this in the manual so most likely possible)
  • Routing
I seriously urge any frustrated Cubase users to download the demo of Samplitude and spend a few hours really looking into it. I finally believe my prayers have been answered!
Old 5th May 2010
  #124
Lives for gear
 
duvalle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I seriously urge any frustrated Cubase users to download the demo of Samplitude and spend a few hours really looking into it. I finally believe my prayers have been answered!
haha ... good luck!
Old 5th May 2010
  #125
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Oh boy I downloaded Samplitude last night. At the start I was scheptical about it because when I downloaded v9 a while back it wasn't quite up to the mark. However, I have spent the whole day comparing it side by side with Cubase, specifically the features I frequently use, and reading the corresponding pages of the user manual. In addition, I checked for features I wish Cubase had. To cut a long story short, I am blown away by Samplitude. I kid you not. All the features I miss from Cubase have already been implemented in Samplitude.

Good news:
  • So far I haven't found one thing Cubase can do that Samplitude can't, but several the other way round.
  • <orgasm>Samplitude loads in under two seconds </orgasm>
  • My MCU finally works the way it should
  • I can undo and redo mixer moves and still can take mixer snapshots
  • I can save VST2 presets wherever I please
  • The comping system is a bit different but very effective.
  • Object-oriented (or whatever it's called) vs Traditional DAW is awesome. Each clip can have it's own effects which get turned off when playback of that clip has finished, reducing CPU/RAM usage and therefore the need to freeze tracks.
  • MDI windows (e.g. the mixer, plugin GUIs, etc) do not dissappear when the DAW loses focus (unlike Cubase)
  • It does not have crappy toy-like plugins.
  • Stereo width can be added from the Pan dialogue, and this is a really cool feature
  • It has a thing like Variaudio, which I still haven't tested (I use Melodyne anyway)
Bad news:
  • Plugin tweaks cannot be undone, which is a useful feature.
  • Cannot rename plugins like in REAPER
  • Can't close plugin GUI by hitting ESC key, like in REAPER, so you have to hunt for the tiny X button on the top-left corner of the GUI...
  • It seems quite stable although I have had a few crashes so far, but I think it's due to a dodgy graphics drive I installed yesterday (other things have since become unstable)
Things I still need to check out:
  • Sidechaining (there IS a section about this in the manual so most likely possible)
  • Routing
I seriously urge any frustrated Cubase users to download the demo of Samplitude and spend a few hours really looking into it. I finally believe my prayers have been answered!
Well Samplitude is miles better than Cubase, no news there really. Pretty much everyone is miles ahead of Steinberg. Sonar, Logic...

Too bad Samplitude is not for Mac. Although if it was, I hate switching and learning a new program when I´m very accustomed to Cubase, but I would be willing to try it.

I hate Steinberg and Cubase, but I´m stuck with them!
Old 5th May 2010
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Well Samplitude is miles better than Cubase, no news there really. Pretty much everyone is miles ahead of Steinberg. Sonar, Logic...

Too bad Samplitude is not for Mac. Although if it was, I hate switching and learning a new program when I´m very accustomed to Cubase, but I would be willing to try it.

I hate Steinberg and Cubase, but I´m stuck with them!
I know the feeling, if you've been on Cubase for ages it's too much hassle. If you are already comfortable with Cubase and you can make good music on it, then don't change, life's too short!
Old 5th May 2010
  #127
Gear Maniac
 

This is the same as it ever was. There's always been things about Cubase that annoy, but its seldom stopped anyone making good music. It's frustrating that we can still make a cuppa before C5 starts and the windows don't line up properly/dock, but on the flip, 5 does have a bunch of great new features that are useful. I think I'm still thankful for draggable inserts; we all know they'll address the biggies in the long run if we keep moaning.

I wasn't happy with 4 - wasn't prepared to move from 3 because they never gave us the last update for 3 and 4 just wasn't enough. By 5, it was irresistible, so I upgraded and I'm happy again. I like to wait for the "golden" versions, the ones that work solidly and have no major bugs. Had I of followed the upgrade path throughout, I expect I'd be pretty bitter by now.

It'll be the same in 10 years time - new features, some old ones missing that piss us off, but generally, a great platform for making music.

I can't remember what life was like before Cubase, I'm not anxious to find out.
Old 5th May 2010
  #128
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

Disagree that Samplitude is better than Cubase IMHO.

Yes, it has some better audio FX (albeit less of them) and the $1000 dollar PRO version (double Cubase's price) has CD burning.

Samplitude's MIDI and virtual instruments are not as good, although both are poor in comparison to Logic and Sonar (for vstis). It doesn't handle VST protocol as well as Cubase (like Sonar it's still a native DX supporting app).

It doesn't support VST3, which is finally taking off with Waves and Fabfilter releasing their products in VST3 format.

It is still a 32 bit only application.

Object orientated clip handling can be pretty much achieved in Cubase by splitting a clip and using the offline processing feature. People always talk this up like it's some mega feature but having a totally editable offline processing history in Cubase gives you much of the same thing.

Scoring in Cubase is deeper, VST expression is also a great feature.

I also am not a fan of Samplitude's GUI and workflow, although this is a subjective opinion, YMMV.

You 'downloaded' it - do you mean you downloaded the demo, which is severely crippled, or did you buy it outright (or did you find an , erm, unofficial version via bit torrent ....)

Cubase is a good program and while not perfect and with a few faults, I think it's better to stick with it rather than quit to another program which takes ages to get down with and also has bugs and faults. That choice lies with the end user.

Cubase 5 opens quickly for me. I've had one instance with a project which got corrupted which took about 90 seconds to open and then gave error messages, but every other C5 project opens within 10-20 seconds.

The Cubase forum is as active as Samplitude's and I've had excellent support through Steinberg Canada who are the OFFICIAL support (for me in Canada at least). The Cubase forum clearly states that it is not an official support forum, although many very savvy users there can sometimes provide answers.

Scoox and Bob. You guys should just move to other products and de-stress yourself. Your worries are not shared by the vast majority of the Cubase community who are mostly very positive about the product...This is not an insult. I moved over to Cubase from Sonar several years ago for exactly the same reasons, that Sonar was frustrating me. It happens, but the healthy thing is to move on and not linger with bitterness ....
Old 5th May 2010
  #129
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Yeah, I love Cubase. Not swiching to any other DAW. I'd like to see it "mature". There's Garage Band, Abelton Live, & Reason for the "kids" and DJs.
Old 5th May 2010
  #130
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
The Cubase forum is as active as Samplitude's and I've had excellent support through Steinberg Canada who are the OFFICIAL support (for me in Canada at least). The Cubase forum clearly states that it is not an official support forum, although many very savvy users there can sometimes provide answers.
You lucky SOB. Steinberg support in Europe is ****E, and that is all intentional caps. Cubase.net is a mixed bag. There are some knowledgeable users who can be very helpful, but the Steinberg guys only ever chime to tout the greatness of update so-and-so or to lock a thread they deem subversive.
Old 5th May 2010
  #131
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

I agree the mods in the forum don't set the best example.

I've heard mixed things about support through the distributors, SB Canada however, have been truly awesome and a far cry from the attitude of the forum mods.

I perservered with Sonar 2 and 3 even though I could never get Sonar 3 to run at all, so after a long period of time and frustration, moved on to SX1.0.6 and while there have been a few annoying issues from time to time, it was a revelation to me. Can't wait for C5.5, I'm already happy with 5.1.0 I didn't upgrade at C4, but SX3.1.1 was also really good.
Old 6th May 2010
  #132
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Both Samplitude and Cubase have good features, but Cubase feels more solid I must say, after playing with Samplitude's demo for two days. Also I prefer Cubase's GUI in many ways.

I think my gripe with Cubase is that it is so close to being the perfect DAW, but due to a few tiny workflow issues it is not. I know Steinberg could fix all these issues in a couple of months and become everyone's heroes (considering the kind of stuff their devs can pull), but instead they devote all their energy to new features and then keep digging deeper and deeper (e.g. Cubase 5.5 will include an update for LoopMash). I wonder how much time it took to code LoopMash for example. It's almost as if they are doing it on purpose. The point is, they don't realize or want to admit that they are doing something wrong even though we are screaming about it. It's like they are afraid (or too proud, or too stubborn...) to publicly admit it. If they could change their ways and post a sticky on their forum like this:

"We would like to apologize to all our valued customers for we have been lousy lately and we are going to change our ways. From now on we are going to listen more and try to address all your issues to give you the best DAW out there, because we have realized that a good reputation is what drives sales in the long run."


This kind of a post is unlikely to affect sales negatively. If anything, it would restore customer trust, loyalty and confidence. Swallowing your pride seems unpleasant but the response you get is actually quite positive. Doing otherwise is lying.

It reminds me sooooo much of my first boss. He was an awful manager and everyone knew why, and it would have taken just a couple of minor changes in attitude for him to become a brilliant manager, but he wouldn't listen. I told him on the day I left but he is still the same, accordding to my former colleagues.
Old 6th May 2010
  #133
Gear Maniac
 

Sick! I'm very excited to try this out!
Old 6th May 2010
  #134
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
and the $1000 dollar PRO version (double Cubase's price) has CD burning.
That's not true. Even the smallest version of Samplitude (non pro, 500$ max) has the native CD burning. Only the "free" version (SE) don't have it.
JMM
Old 6th May 2010
  #135
Here for the gear
 

Newbie to GS here-I've been reading this thread with great interest.I'm a Cubase Mac guy since VST3 (around '97). So many of the complaints are similar through the years, here and at Cubase.net. I come in on the side that getting things to work bug-free would solve 99% of my gripes, same as it ever was. That having been said, there are so fewer show-stopping bugs on C5.1.1 than in previous versions that workflow issues are almost gone. I NEEDED batch export, and it's been great. Took too long, but- great. However- time-stretch. Oy.

The concept is so awesome as to be practically perfect. Check off all your audio files, change tempo in the transport bar, and everything follows. Just one little problem-glitchy, awful sounding audio.

I don't use loopmash. I'm perfectly willing to buy outside plug ins. Give me pro time-stretching, and I'd be satisfied.
Old 6th May 2010
  #136
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
Too bad Samplitude is not for Mac.
Too bad Cubase isn't. Crossing my fingers for 5.5, though. If it's as snappy on Mac as Logic, I'll make it my primary DAW.

(Unless rumours are true and PTHD goes native. heh)
Old 6th May 2010
  #137
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Cubase 5 is a great DAW. Version 5.5 should help improve overall performance, and add some additional interesting new features. I'm surely Looking forward to Cubase 5.5 !

At the same time, I'm moving away from LP9, I will be shortly adding Studio One Pro (version 1.5) as a second DAW option to Cubase 5.

By the time Studio One Pro is at version 2.0 and 'Cubase 6' is released, I feel I will enjoy using both, I'm confident that they will both offer a lot of power, features, great workflow, ..etc.
Old 6th May 2010
  #138
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Too bad Cubase isn't. Crossing my fingers for 5.5, though. If it's as snappy on Mac as Logic, I'll make it my primary DAW.
heh Good point!
Old 6th May 2010
  #139
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
At the same time, I'm moving away from LP9, I will be shortly adding Studio One Pro (version 1.5) as a second DAW option to Cubase 5.

By the time Studio One Pro is at version 2.0 and 'Cubase 6' is released, I feel I will enjoy using both, I'm confident that they will both offer a lot of power, features, great workflow, ..etc.
Ditto here Unless of course Protools goes Native and has all the features I need
Old 7th May 2010
  #140
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

Cubase since C4 works very well on a Mac.

SX1-3 were a bit sluggish, C4 and 5 are fine.

Samplitude does have disc burning in the lower priced versions, it's just your FX and other features which are cut down (quite a bit) from the $1000 Pro version. Thanks for the correction.

It's been rumoured Pro Tools would release a proper native version (not LE/MP slashed down versions) with HD type functionality for about the last 7 years ... still no line on the horizon
Old 7th May 2010
  #141
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Cubase since C4 works very well on a Mac.
That's simply not true.

C5 on Mac is extremely slow compared to Logic. Everybody can verify that. Just do this very simple test:

Load two similar projects -- both @ 32 -- one in Cubase 5 on your MacPro, the other in Logic. Compare performance.

Stunning, to say the least.

But as I said, we can hope for 5.5.
Old 9th May 2010
  #142
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
C5 on Mac is extremely slow compared to Logic.
I've heard this from Cubase instructors at the local university also.
Old 9th May 2010
  #143
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Oh boy I downloaded Samplitude last night. At the start I was scheptical about it because when I downloaded v9 a while back it wasn't quite up to the mark. However, I have spent the whole day comparing it side by side with Cubase, specifically the features I frequently use, and reading the corresponding pages of the user manual. In addition, I checked for features I wish Cubase had. To cut a long story short, I am blown away by Samplitude. I kid you not. All the features I miss from Cubase have already been implemented in Samplitude.

Good news:
  • So far I haven't found one thing Cubase can do that Samplitude can't, but several the other way round.
  • <orgasm>Samplitude loads in under two seconds </orgasm>
  • My MCU finally works the way it should
  • I can undo and redo mixer moves and still can take mixer snapshots
  • I can save VST2 presets wherever I please
  • The comping system is a bit different but very effective.
  • Object-oriented (or whatever it's called) vs Traditional DAW is awesome. Each clip can have it's own effects which get turned off when playback of that clip has finished, reducing CPU/RAM usage and therefore the need to freeze tracks.
  • MDI windows (e.g. the mixer, plugin GUIs, etc) do not dissappear when the DAW loses focus (unlike Cubase)
  • It does not have crappy toy-like plugins.
  • Stereo width can be added from the Pan dialogue, and this is a really cool feature
  • It has a thing like Variaudio, which I still haven't tested (I use Melodyne anyway)
Bad news:
  • Plugin tweaks cannot be undone, which is a useful feature.
  • Cannot rename plugins like in REAPER
  • Can't close plugin GUI by hitting ESC key, like in REAPER, so you have to hunt for the tiny X button on the top-left corner of the GUI...
  • It seems quite stable although I have had a few crashes so far, but I think it's due to a dodgy graphics drive I installed yesterday (other things have since become unstable)
Things I still need to check out:
  • Sidechaining (there IS a section about this in the manual so most likely possible)
  • Routing
I seriously urge any frustrated Cubase users to download the demo of Samplitude and spend a few hours really looking into it. I finally believe my prayers have been answered!
Feel free to post over at the 'newcomer' Samplitude forum with all your questions. Plenty of former Cubasers over there .

Good luck,

Greg

p.s. sidechaining works natively for most plugins on each channel.
Routing is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.
Plugin tweaks can be cancelled, but undo may also work depending on which plugin is being tweaked (some 3rd party plugins react differently).
Old 9th May 2010
  #144
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
That's simply not true.

C5 on Mac is extremely slow compared to Logic. Everybody can verify that. Just do this very simple test:

Load two similar projects -- both @ 32 -- one in Cubase 5 on your MacPro, the other in Logic. Compare performance.

Stunning, to say the least.

But as I said, we can hope for 5.5.
Yes but Logic is running at 1024 buffer when playing back this project, it's only using 32 samples when a track is in record mode,so to give you a better comparison set cubase to 1024 and compare.

MC
Old 9th May 2010
  #145
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Yes but Logic is running at 1024 buffer when playing back this project, it's only using 32 samples when a track is in record mode,so to give you a better comparison set cubase to 1024 and compare.
You're in the second stage of the Kübler-Ross Cycle. Please move on, sir.
Old 10th May 2010
  #146
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

Well I can give you the names of several people running Cubase 5 (and C4) and they all tell me that it runs fine and within an eye blink of Logic 9. I would trust their opinion implicitly. One guy tells me that DP7 is actually the quickest DAW he has loaded on his mac pro from the usual suspects.

Until recently I worked in a studio with a Mac Pro octacore with C4, Logic 8 and PTHD8 and C4 was within a blink of Logic.

Run @ 32 what ? Samples latency ?? 32 bit (as opposed to 64 bit) ???
Old 10th May 2010
  #147
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
That's simply not true.

C5 on Mac is extremely slow compared to Logic. Everybody can verify that. Just do this very simple test:
It only needs to be good enough for YOU and your projects. For me, they work equally well. I don't find it "extremely slow."

Don't get caught up in the race. Performance is important, but so is user interface. You will get very tired chasing around the best performance, switching from one DAW to another, etc.
Old 10th May 2010
  #148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Run @ 32 what ? Samples latency ?? 32 bit (as opposed to 64 bit) ???
Samples.

And if I were you, I would do the test myself. There's a lot of myths going around, and there's a certain amount of denial.

As for C4: I have no experiences with that version. Perhaps it's great on Mac, just as Logic 8 is snappier than Logic 9.
Old 10th May 2010
  #149
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
For me, they work equally well. I don't find it "extremely slow."
Then you haven't done the test. Do it, it's very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
Performance is important, but so is user interface. You will get very tired chasing around the best performance, switching from one DAW to another, etc.
I use 3 DAWs -- Logic, Live and Cubase -- (plus Sibelius for scores) and have no problems with that.
Old 10th May 2010
  #150
Gear Maniac
 

Is funny to see all the cubase user talk about cubase, i'm a pro tools Le user and i'm testing out cubase 5, there where few features that attracted me to cubase but i most say the layout it's really weird, and get this i took me about 1hr to figure out to set my 003 in cubase i dont see my self using this past the 30 trial, and didn't really get into editing but editing for me was a bit difficult and time consuming in logic 8.

only sharing a thought
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
musicjon / Product Alerts older than 2 months
17
Boohna / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
3
True North / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump