The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Ok I think the quality is the worst of any daw regardless of the algorithm selected... A personal opinion that nevertheless many seem to share with me over at cubase forums
I guess I never used the time-stretch feature to that extent. I normally use it to trim jingles from 31 to 30 seconds or so, and love the ease of use (size applies timestretch).

I just stretched a 109bpm loop to 100bpm and that did not sound good! Wow, are the other DAW's any better?
Old 1st April 2010
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I guess I never used the time-stretch feature to that extent. I normally use it to trim jingles from 31 to 30 seconds or so, and love the ease of use (size applies timestretch).

I just stretched a 109bpm loop to 100bpm and that did not sound good! Wow, are the other DAW's any better?
Yep logic flex and pt elastic sound 10x better not to mention they can use radius off line as can sonar... Reaper has a good variety of choice too and live is now using the latest elastique pro algos
Old 6th April 2010
what really annoys me is the loading time of a project.

a normal 12 track band projects, maybe 40 cuts/each track/song takes 2 up to 3 minutes.

I load the same project in samplitude and it takes 20 seconds
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I want to see better window management in Cubase, with MDI windows and a transport bar that don't disappear when Cubase loses focus.
This.

And something like elastic audio in PT for multitrack editing.

k
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
what really annoys me is the loading time of a project.

a normal 12 track band projects, maybe 40 cuts/each track/song takes 2 up to 3 minutes.

I load the same project in samplitude and it takes 20 seconds
Cubase 5 here, never takes that long to load up a project. My projects are usually wayyyy more than 12 tracks and hundreds of edits. what system are you running?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsRael Musiq View Post
As a Cubase User since SX3 (AND LOVIN IT!!!!), I just want a real time pitch feature....A La Sony's Acid, Just press the plus to pitch up and minus on the keyboard to go down. Thats all i need, well theres other but i still need that!!!

Well, it's time to read the C5 Manual...
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

yeah same here, 30ish tracks per session and usually under 10 seconds
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post
Well, it's time to read the C5 Manual...
really, you can do this on C5?

maybe i do need to upgrade thumbsup

that's prob my only gripe is offline pitch shift is slow as fck, even on my new i7 and with short clips
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

As a Cubase user since SX2 (i'm now on 4.5 but tested the 5) my experience did not change much from sx2 to now.

1. As most professionals i do not use most of the in-built plugins.
2. Regarding vocal tuning (feature of cubase 5), as most of pros, i use Melodyne or sometimes Autotune (never updated after the 4, so i never use).
3. Audio bay is a great new feature but it did not change your mixing experience, which remains almost the same from sx2 to now.
4. The only great thing that really changed my way of mixing is the VST3 feature of easily side-chaining inside cubase. Something that was really annoying - but possible - to do on SX2 and SX3.
5. Cubase is a very stable daw (cubase 2 had some issues with hyperthreading, but 3.2 and 4.5 are great). I've recorded up to 16 channels at same time with no problems. Mixed 65+ channels, tons of plugs and rarely it crashed i even use digi 002 rack to record into cubase (a killer function).

Don't know why you are so passionate with your DAW. It is like defending the latest Black&Decker drill as the reinvention of the wheel! It doesnt make any sense.

I use PTLE, Cubase 4.5 and have worked with almost all other common/"classic" daws available. Hit songs have been made with any kind of daw and gear imagined so, still i think defeding this passionate a daw is like defending the latest Stanley's screwdrivers or the Wayland faucets!
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
Cubase 5 here, never takes that long to load up a project. My projects are usually wayyyy more than 12 tracks and hundreds of edits. what system are you running?
12 tracks ==> total count of songs in one project file.

each songs has like 40 to 70 tracks.. and those are cuttet with up to 40 cuts/track (I render more cuttings to file).

I have a E8600 at the moment, dual core, RAID with raptors 10k as audio-drive and separate drive for Cubase.

it's the same since SX2...
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Yeah, our turn. Does it bother you? Yep, it does. Who cares though? Are you mad for not getting a new "me too" plugin? Yep, it looks like you are.

Agitator? For supporting/practicing the ability to point out what I/we don't agree with? LOL.

At least agitators, as you call us, play a role by pointing out BUGS and putting public pressure to have them corroborated/fixed.

What does a fanboi like you help with?

Do you realize that you have been criticizing ME for more than a year just because I criticize Steinbug's wrong policies like slow bug fixing and unfair procrastination on already paid for features that don't fully work?

So it is OK for you to attack me personally and call me agitator and similar wannabe insults but I can't criticize and insist on the agenda of stability and bug fixing regarding a fully-paid-for product I happen to be a legitimate user of?

Put your act together pal. I rather be an "agitator" as you put it, than an argumentless fanboi like yourself.

Like I said, I like it too... when it fully works.

I don't see the relevance of you stalking me/us and attacking me/us personally all over the place every time I/we say anything about your object of fanboyance. If you see any relevance to that, please explain.

That could be a good idea for a change. Why don't you write about the update and the "me too" plugin you were expecting?

That exercise is called "public opinion"... Your personal opinion is added to that of thousands of customers around the globe. Statistics and actual data can be extracted and analized.

Valuable proactive decisions can be made based on that data. It is even probable that Steinberg already felt the impact of generalized discontent on a significant sector of its user base, hence the nature and content of the upcoming update.

It definitely appears to be a move in the right/fair direction.

Those of us who were HEARD (for which we HAD to SPEAK OUT) will certainly be happy if the update is delivered and works as expected.

Now, sorry for the bad news but NOBODY GIVES A RAT'S BUTT ABOUT YOU SAYING "I like the program". That is utter crap that not even Stinkbug benefits from.

Maybe because you are one?

I think a person picking on me at this level is definitely obsessed with me to some pathological freudian level that, really, would be scary to hear about...

Take a chill pill man, you need it. An electro-shock might work as well.

EGO-m127

LMAO, this is what years of Cubase using can do to a person haha. Look at his picture, all the windows made him so paranoid that he watches his neighbours too on all his screens!

So your ''Stinkbug'' anger is firing up again huh m'?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

each songs has like 40 to 70 tracks.. and those are cuttet with up to 40 cuts/track (I render more cuttings to file).

I have a E8600 at the moment, dual core, RAID with raptors 10k as audio-drive and separate drive for Cubase.

Oh wow! I guess I didn't understand what you meant. Now I get it. 12 full songs back to back in one project? dang! no wonder.
if you don't mind me asking, why not one project per song? does that suit your workflow better?
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
Oh wow! I guess I didn't understand what you meant. Now I get it. 12 full songs back to back in one project? dang! no wonder.
if you don't mind me asking, why not one project per song? does that suit your workflow better?
I have no workflow hrhr..

yes. usually bands have no money, so I mix "the best track" and adjust eqing and automation on the whole project.

samplitude opens the same project in 20 seconds.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

yes. usually bands have no money, so I mix "the best track" and adjust eqing and automation on the whole project.

Gotcha!, makes sense.
Old 6th April 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

I have Reaper, Live and Cubase. I did a mix test recently with a 20 track project with the same settings as a null test.

Live opens the project quickest, Cubase 2nd and Reaper 3rd but we are talking the difference of 2.5 seconds for the quickest and 4 seconds for the slowest. Cubase opens some very heavy projects I've done in about 7-8 seconds only.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a i7-920 and also takes me forever to load anything. Even my template takes me well over one minute to load and it only has about 20 tracks, 5 or 6 VSTi's and like 10 VST FX.
Old 7th April 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Obviously some kind of hardware configuration issue - I use a bog standard Dell XPS Core2Duo T8100 laptop with 4GB ram, Vista Ultimate 32 SP2, and one external Maxtor HDD USB 2.0 external drive and I can open projects with 40 tracks, 11 vsts, and many plugins in around 9-12 seconds with Cubase 5.1.1 (because this project has 2 Arturia syncrosoft protected plugins VSTS, the dongle call on them can range from 2-4 seconds)

No designer RAM, no raptors I also use this computer for office work, email and web surfing, I just disable wifi, dvd driver and turn off firewall and anti-virus etc. No problems.
Old 7th April 2010
I have not even internet hooked up to this computer. no firewall, no antivirus, no DVD "driver"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Obviously some kind of hardware configuration issue - I use a bog standard Dell XPS Core2Duo T8100 laptop with 4GB ram, Vista Ultimate 32 SP2, and one external Maxtor HDD USB 2.0 external drive and I can open projects with 40 tracks, 11 vsts, and many plugins in around 9-12 seconds with Cubase 5.1.1 (because this project has 2 Arturia syncrosoft protected plugins VSTS, the dongle call on them can range from 2-4 seconds)

No designer RAM, no raptors I also use this computer for office work, email and web surfing, I just disable wifi, dvd driver and turn off firewall and anti-virus etc. No problems.
Old 7th April 2010
so in your opinion I am not normal? hehheh

maybe you are right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Well, good for you of course.

My projects used to take a lot of time to load.

With those upgrades the time was reduced to half or even less.

I think it would be intersting to collectively test for this. I will come up with a testing method one of these days. It could be useful for setup comparison, etc..

2 or 3 minutes reported in some cases sound indeed like way more than normal...

Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

As a user of C5.1, and after checking the 5.5 announcenment, I must say that I'm deceived, once again... What about :

- The broken VST2.x compatibility (no fxp/fxb savings) ?
- The clumsy windows management with the dreaded resizing of the project window and erratic VST plug-ins display ? Don't tell me about the workspaces : it's as clumsy as can be...
- The vst/trackpresets mess all mixed in something absolutely confusing : vstpresets and trackpresets should be clearly separated and easily accessible. This without speaking of the new trackpresets saving bug...
- The horrible mediabay with its disappearing/reappearing presets, endless scanning processes to view what you know is on your disk and hierarchic tree view completely confusing ? What I see is only a cosmetic fix...
- The lack of a decent timestretching tool (think I've tried all the algorithms ; none of them work decently for only few percents timestretching of a rythmic guitar clip) ?
- The lack of decent comping tool ?

All this is making me switch to Sonar 8.5, for the best or the worst (still waiting for it...). After more than 3 years since Cubase 4.0.x release (I've been using Cubase since the SL/SX2 days) and looking back, I find that I haven't been creative enough, afraid of tweaking all my plug-ins at disposal with the fear of not being able to retrieve what I saved, thanks to the awful mediabay/VST3 presets management.

I tried to get used to it, expecting and hoping for improvements at each update, but now I'm fed up. I just want to use everything at full potential without second thoughts.

So, I guess that I'll install C5.5 (I still have Cubase projects to edit), but Steinberg won't have a single cent from me if they don't fix in C6 at least the VST 2.x compatibility, the windows management (with dockable views), this with with decent timestretching algorithms and an usable presets handling.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

would be easier to do one song then:

"Save project to new folder" (copying files) with a different name.
Then simply delete all files created through pool.

You still get the track configurations, vsts, midi channels (if any) and you would have a very organized client main folder with each track in a separate subfolder. Easy to export and find takes.

I only do all songs in one project when i'm recording but still i usually go "saving projects to new folders" function.
Old 18th April 2010
Gear Head

Cubase sidechain

Does anyone knows how to side chain third party compressors ? such as liquid mix and waves ?
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadriantheque View Post
Does anyone knows how to side chain third party compressors ? such as liquid mix and waves ?
Use REAPER mate. There are ways to do this in Cubase using Group Tracks, but they are not straightforward. I figured out how to use third-party compressor sidechaining in REAPER within minutes and no manual. As soon as Cockos get MIDI in REAPER to work like it does in Cubase, I'll be giving Cubase the finger. Yes, right now Cubase's MIDI is actually way better than REAPER's, but REAPER excels at many other things. The point is that I have more hope of Cockos addressing workflow issues than Steinberg. The impression I get from Steinberg is that they don't really care about their customers. It must be pretty myserable working for Steinberg! Every time Steinberg releases an update I get discouraged. Stupid Loopmash, who the heck ever asked for that? I am sure it's great, but nobody needed it. First fix the bugs, make workflow better, then worry about adding crap. This makes my blood boil. And I have a right to be angry because I spent a lot of money on my copy of Cubase just so I could f**king try it because a demo is not available, and I see very few of the issues being fixed.

The worst thing about Cubase is NOT BEING ABLE TO UNDO PLUGIN PARAMETER TWEAKS AND MIXER TWEAKS. This keeps me from freely experimenting and tweaking, always afraid to balls things up. Many other DAWs have this UNDO capability (including REAPER), which I am surprised Cubase, a £400 piece of software, doesn't have. In addition, Cubase's context menus royally suck. REAPER, with its long list of shortcomings, is the best DAW out there because at least it does well what it says on the tin. With Cubase I feel like I am fighting with the DAW, trying to trick it into doing what I want to do, whereas with REAPER I feel in full control. Therefore it's easy to see why so many people are converting to REAPER: becasue they can see the light at the tunnel. Way to go Cockos!!
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadriantheque View Post
Just do a YouTube search on "side chain cubase" and you'll get a number of hits showing how to set up a quad group that serves the purpose. It is rather round about but once you get the idea and do it a few time it doesn't take any longer than running a patch cable to the back of a hardware gate. heh

Of course sidechaining the VST3 cubase gate is a snap. Is there something in a third party gate that you prefer or are you still on an older version of Cuabse?
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
So what's your point of coming in here and crapping all over Cubase?
The point is... I spent a lot of money to try a piece of software that doesn't quite cut it and I can't get my money back now.
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
As a user of C5.1, and after checking the 5.5 announcenment, I must say that I'm deceived, once again... What about :

- The broken VST2.x compatibility (no fxp/fxb savings) ?
- The clumsy windows management with the dreaded resizing of the project window and erratic VST plug-ins display ? Don't tell me about the workspaces : it's as clumsy as can be...
- The vst/trackpresets mess all mixed in something absolutely confusing : vstpresets and trackpresets should be clearly separated and easily accessible. This without speaking of the new trackpresets saving bug...
- The horrible mediabay with its disappearing/reappearing presets, endless scanning processes to view what you know is on your disk and hierarchic tree view completely confusing ? What I see is only a cosmetic fix...
- The lack of a decent timestretching tool (think I've tried all the algorithms ; none of them work decently for only few percents timestretching of a rythmic guitar clip) ?
- The lack of decent comping tool ?
i have to agree with you, steinberg wont get another cent from me neither, until the dreadful gui and constant resizing of windows is fixed, they dragged this engine long enough, its time for a complete rewrite and they need to drop there useless protection, i dont see it fair for me to have my usb ports occupied with a donlge, when 17 year old virgins are using cubase without a dongle.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
i have to agree with you, steinberg wont get another cent from me neither, until the dreadful gui and constant resizing of windows is fixed, they dragged this engine long enough, its time for a complete rewrite and they need to drop there useless protection, i dont see it fair for me to have my usb ports occupied with a donlge, when 17 year old virgins are using cubase without a dongle.
Wow! If your not happy with the UI aside from small issues, you need to try a different daw! The engine is a proven workhorse, and the dongle is one of the best on the market.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Has this update for Cubase 5 fixed the Rewire problems? All the other DAWs work flawlessly with Rewire -- except Cubase 5
Old 21st April 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
The point is... I spent a lot of money to try a piece of software that doesn't quite cut it and I can't get my money back now.

You should sell Cubase quickly before your heart explodes homey

They have a demo now BTW for Cubase

Your right though, Cockos will address an issue way before Steiny will
Steiny will charge you for that as well and give you a new gizmo you didnt want or need. I wish these stupid DAW makers would just stop with the feature wars
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Has this update for Cubase 5 fixed the Rewire problems? All the other DAWs work flawlessly with Rewire -- except Cubase 5
After all the gripes about and problems everyone else is having I'm really debating weather I have Cubase anymore because I dont seem to have ANY of the above problems mentioned...

and with that said, I'll use Cubase until the day we can just think music into other peoples heads...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search