The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 30th March 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
One thing that has stopped from upgrading to Cubase 5 this year is because I fear that I may fork out 200 bucks just to find that Cubase 6 will be released later this year or early next year. That would likely cost me another 200, so for now I'm staying put with 4.5.2 and when 6 comes I'll upgrade. It kind of sucks, because I could really use some of the features that 5 comes with.

I paid more than 800 euro for C4 in 2007. C5 costs 600 euro and an upgrade is 200 euro. Now if I were to get C5 and assuming that an upgrade to a future C6 will also be 200 euro, I would spent 1200 euro on software that may just be 600 euro when bought new.

This sort of upgrade paths do not encourage brand loyalty, to say the least. I understand that everybody needs to get paid, but I feel that Steinberg should have a more attractive upgrade path for return customers. Like I pay 200 for the first upgrade, but only 100 for the second etc.

I read somewhere else that Digidesign has had a very consistent and reasonable upgrade policy, perhaps that is one of the reasons why they have held on to their no.1 spot for so long.

I first bought Cubase VST 3.7 back in 1999, so it's not like I just jumped in 3 years ago.
Old 30th March 2010
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I feel that Steinberg should have a more attractive upgrade path for return customers. Like I pay 200 for the first upgrade, but only 100 for the second etc.
+1
Old 30th March 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
One thing that has stopped from upgrading to Cubase 5 this year is because I fear that I may fork out 200 bucks just to find that Cubase 6 will be released later this year or early next year. That would likely cost me another 200, so for now I'm staying put with 4.5.2 and when 6 comes I'll upgrade. It kind of sucks, because I could really use some of the features that 5 comes with.

I paid more than 800 euro for C4 in 2007. C5 costs 600 euro and an upgrade is 200 euro. Now if I were to get C5 and assuming that an upgrade to a future C6 will also be 200 euro, I would spent 1200 euro on software that may just be 600 euro when bought new.

This sort of upgrade paths do not encourage brand loyalty, to say the least. I understand that everybody needs to get paid, but I feel that Steinberg should have a more attractive upgrade path for return customers. Like I pay 200 for the first upgrade, but only 100 for the second etc.

I read somewhere else that Digidesign has had a very consistent and reasonable upgrade policy, perhaps that is one of the reasons why they have held on to their no.1 spot for so long.

I first bought Cubase VST 3.7 back in 1999, so it's not like I just jumped in 3 years ago.
I started on SX2... and skipped all odd versions because it didn't make sense financialy. It's strange it costs the same to upgrade 3 to 5 and 4 to 5.

Waiting for 6 to come .
Old 30th March 2010
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
JeffE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Yes stability is what matters most, but the problem is that if they keep adding new fancy stuff they are also going to add further bugs. Functionally, C4 was fine. LoopMash and all the new plugins are in my opinion a waste of Steinberg's time.
Your opinion. I'm very happy they added VariAudio and REVerence in C5. I use those all the time, and they more than justified my upgrade cost. I've also found Cubase 5 to be very stable on my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Why did they get into the audio interface business when there's a million other companies such as RME, Mackie, MOTU, etc making the same stuff already? They are not going to make a fortune from selling hardware, but designing and testing it WILL cost a fortune!
I, for one, am very pleased they entered the audio interface business. I really like the sonic qualities of my MR816X, and the integration with Cubase really helps my workflow. I know many others on this forum share this opinion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
... like in REAPER ... like in REAPER ... like in REAPER ... like in REAPER....like in REAPER.

...like REAPER ...like REAPER ... REAPER ... REAPER...
OK, we get it. You like Reaper. From all accounts, it's a fine piece of software with a growing user base. So what's your point of coming in here and crapping all over Cubase?
Old 31st March 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Your opinion.


I dig Cubase 5, MR 816 is great too!


.
Old 31st March 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 

"Hurt"?

"Our turn"?

Hum..Ever considered the possibility of you just not being able to resist portraying yourself as an agitator?

Like I said, I like the program.

You referred to these "fanboys" --who just might not see the relevance of focusing on problems everytime their DAW update is discussed. Your view seems to be that if one doesn't talk about problems, he is "a mindless fanboy" who is not "contributing". Well, I could've written a longer post with "blah blah...I'm looking forward to the update". You said it yourself: the update seems ok. Why keep constantly referring to "bugase fanboys"? I think..

a


person


who


writes


like


this


might have an


EGO..

.
Old 31st March 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Yeah, our turn. Does it bother you?.
You are correct, your way of "expressing" yourself is actually bothering me. You usually talk like an agitator --and your posts fill the whole screen with five words.

There is no point in trying to discuss with a person who already has glued himself into the "rebel" paradigm. The rest are just fanbois!

Just tone it down. It's true, you have an enormous --ego. Take a pill.

-Prove me wrong and tone it down..

(STEINBUG)


.
Old 31st March 2010
  #38
where is Fredo when we need him? heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Man...You guys are passionate about your DAW's of choice. Anyway...I been using Cubase since SX3. Skipped 4 and went to 5. THAT WAS MY CHOICE. I can say that i'm confident everytime I get to my studio and start a session that my session will run flawlessly. I hope i'm not jinxing myself but I really can't recall the last time a Cubase bug has cost me to lose any money. Now am I happy about having to pay for an upgrade? Not if it's just for bug fixes...If i'm getting some added features? then depends how much the upgrade is....but guess what...if I don't like it, I don't have to upgrade it. Just like I chose not to upgrade to 4. If I decided "man...this sucks...Reaper is much better than dealing with this steinberg upgrade crap"...then I would simply purchase Reaper and go on my merry way. WE HAVE CHOICES.......I've tried Reaper and hated it. Doesn't sync with my FW-1884 controllers and I had no luck with support fixing that. So I CHOSE to stay with Cubase. Haven't found a DAW that fits me better. Am I a fanboy cause Cubase is what works for me? I dont know...to what extreme do I have to go to become one? heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
JeffE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I guess his point is superior to yours when you come in here to sugar-fanboi-coat Cubase and it's half-ass plugin attempts and its expensive and "me too" interfaces. His critique is real and well founded.


Botom line is: stability and reasonably fast addressing of known bugs without charging for the respective updates (since the product is already paid for) COME FIRST to any stupid plugin or "me too" interface.



I know you love your Cubase, and I am sure Scoox loves it too, but living in denial out of love/fanboyance is worse than not loving. Ie, you are not helping no one. He is.



.
Fanboyism? Sugar coating? Jeez! What have I done to you? Can't we have a rational, civilized discussion without resorting to name calling?

In response to Scoox's comment that "Functionally, C4 was fine. LoopMash and all the new plugins are in my opinion a waste of Steinberg's time", I responded that I do find value in VariAudio and REVerence. How is that being a fanboi?

I also responded that Cubase 5 has been stable, on my system. I'm relating my personal experience. How is that being a fanboi?

Are there things I don't like about Cubase? You bet! I, too, don't like their window management scheme. The built-in plugs aren't that great compared to Logic or Sonar. It's slow to start up. I had occasional crashes in XP (but none since moving to Win 7).

And I do really like my MR816X. Are there things I don't like about it? Yeah, I wish it had MIDI in/out, and I don't like how the front panel controls are multifunction (CR volume/headphone volume/REVx level). But I like how it sounds and how it integrates with Cubase, and for $699 I think it offers good value.

My main issue with Scoox post was the constant comparisons to Reaper. If he likes Reaper (and I acknowledged that it is a good DAW), then why not just dump Cubase and get on with the business of making music?
Old 31st March 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Cubase and its expensive and "me too" interfaces. His critique is real and well founded.
.
wtf !
are you talking about the MR816??...expensive,"me too"???
This is one of the best deals in computer audio.Are you an M-Audio warrior or something?
Old 31st March 2010
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
You are correct, your way of "expressing" yourself is actually bothering me. You usually talk like an agitator --and your posts fill the whole screen with five words.
Just tone it down. It's true, you have an enormous --ego. Take a pill.
Well said!
Old 31st March 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I want to have a feature to undo EVERYTHING i.e. fader moves, plug-in tweaks, etc, and have an undo stack for each component, that is, each VST plugin would have it's on little undo stack accessible from it's own GUI; likewise, the mixer would have it's own undo stack, and so on. This would be a winner.
yes, a winner indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
They are not going to make a fortune from selling hardware, but designing and testing it WILL cost a fortune!
I agree, though at the same time they Cubase could benefit from a dedicated control surface, as Logic has with Euphonix and Ableton has in many incarnations

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
One thing that has stopped from upgrading to Cubase 5 this year is because I fear that I may fork out 200 bucks just to find that Cubase 6 will be released later this year or early next year. That would likely cost me another 200, so for now I'm staying put with 4.5.2 and when 6 comes I'll upgrade.
yeah +1, rather put the $200 towards some hardware. except....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
It kind of sucks, because I could really use some of the features that 5 comes with.
honestly I don't know if I could use the v5 features. maybe the beatdesigner/step sequencer could be cool, but it's not worth $199 to find out

plus on the i7 I built late last year v4.5 is COMPLETELY stable, even with hyperthreading turned on. it has crashed only one time since September
Old 31st March 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
 

there is a lot more going on with C5 than meets the eye when comparing it to C4 which for myself was a pile of cr** and I'm sure others would agree with me on this.Cubase5 has been rock solid since day one and for me is like a finished Cubase4 lots of nice little touches that make Cub5 much better to work with compared to C4.
Old 31st March 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
lots of nice little touches that make Cub5 much better to work with compared to C4.
like what, for example?
Old 31st March 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm311 View Post
like what, for example?
Batch export
Being able to change the colour scheme including the project page back ground
Mediabay remebers last selected catergory when tagging
Whole interface is cleaner
Midi bounce and freeze

Loads of little things but they really add up

However Cubase 5 is what Cub4 should have been
Old 31st March 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm311 View Post
honestly I don't know if I could use the v5 features. maybe the beatdesigner/step sequencer could be cool, but it's not worth $199 to find out
I just think if Groove Agent One and Pitch Fix are any good, it would be a good deal. Cheaper than buying Battery 3 and Autotune EVO, anyway.
And batch export, obliterates the need for .omf
Old 31st March 2010
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
....
And batch export, obliterates the need for .omf
Old 31st March 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 
SeniorityFedup's Avatar
 

I must admit the white page layout on the tape images is annoying when all the lights are dim on C4. Would be nice to switch that colour to black. I'll wait to C6. Not sure when it will come out c5 is just not worth it to me. I personally am satisfied w/ 4 and am not a fan of predisposed beatz and mangling predisposed beatz. Altought reverence looks nice.. Epic verb is great and free
Old 31st March 2010
  #50
Gear Nut
 
IsRael Musiq's Avatar
 

As a Cubase User since SX3 (AND LOVIN IT!!!!), I just want a real time pitch feature....A La Sony's Acid, Just press the plus to pitch up and minus on the keyboard to go down. Thats all i need, well theres other but i still need that!!!
Old 31st March 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 
duvalle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Batch export
Being able to change the colour scheme including the project page back ground
Mediabay remebers last selected catergory when tagging
Whole interface is cleaner
Midi bounce and freeze

Loads of little things but they really add up

However Cubase 5 is what Cub4 should have been


Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
However Cubase 5 is what Cub4 should have been
double on this one .... heh

i am with cubase since atari st.
and cubase 5 is bar far the best cubase ever.
works perfectly stable here on my win xp i7 - so i am happy.

beside that, i think there is no "best" daw.
it's all about how one likes to work ...
Old 31st March 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Batch export
wow yeah, completely forgot about that one

def could use that badly, as I eat up lots of time with solo -> audio mixdown

haven't even opened Mediabay once, not because I dislike it but just never RTFM because I thought I woudln't need it
Old 31st March 2010
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
JeffE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm311 View Post

I agree, though at the same time they Cubase could benefit from a dedicated control surface, as Logic has with Euphonix and Ableton has in many incarnations
There is the CC121, if you can live with a single fader...
Old 1st April 2010
  #54
Gear Nut
 
dz81's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
i am with cubase since atari st.
and cubase 5 is bar far the best cubase ever.
works perfectly stable here on my win xp i7 - so i am happy.

beside that, i think there is no "best" daw.
it's all about how one likes to work ...


Enough with the borg bashing, the perfect DAW doesn't exist..
Old 1st April 2010
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz81 View Post


, the perfect DAW doesn't exist..
So true.
People should just realize this.
Old 1st April 2010
  #56
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Uhm, I'm still on Cubase 4.5.2 but I find the timestretch functionality great ( as in resizing automatically applies timestretch if you so wish). And the sound is good unless you stretch it to more than twice its length.
What are your gripes?

On the update, I remember I bought Cubase 4.0 which was great. Then I updated to 4.1 and that made my system all but inoperable. On to 4.5.2 which solved problems created by 4.1 and is nearly as good as 4.0

Just sayin'....
Ok I think the quality is the worst of any daw regardless of the algorithm selected... A personal opinion that nevertheless many seem to share with me over at cubase forums
Old 1st April 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
OK. I just thought you seemed too heavy-handed towards some of Scoox's fair points, which I don't think is really OK.

However, I must admit that I was too heavy-handed towards you, and so I owe you an apology. I think we ALL just need more tolerance as to letting our peers point out either their concerns or their praise.
You are correct, you and I haven't had enough discussions and we don't know each other enough yet, so I hope we can both move on for now and leave it to time.


Other people's twisted obsessions are well documented in this very forum, so no further discussion is needed there.



I think you made fair observations in that last post... I don't dislike the floating Window handling that much, but, not surprisingly, there are some strange bugs in that area.

Have you ever assigned a MIDI CC to, for example, a "Selected track"/"VST instrument editor window" or similar?

When you press your hw MIDI button it opens the VSTi Editor floating window upon track selection just fine; when you press it again to close it, it closes it, again, just fine, BUT if you press it once again you CANNOT open it anymore, unless you literally click with your mouse on the ALREADY selected track again. Why wasting a MIDI button on that if you still need to use the stupid mouse? LMFAO




I haven't tested the interface you referred, but the price you referred too actually seems fair as compared to the market. It even seems inexpensive. Did you ever tested it in a System Link setup?



.
I agree -- we ALL just need more tolerance as to letting our peers point out either their concerns or their praise. I agree also that other people's twisted obsessions are well documented in this very forum, so no further discussion is needed there.

So from now on, please separate your paragraphs by pressing < enter > no more than two times. One empty line is enough --unless you want to compensate for something you think you're lacking.




You know




?

Thanks.
Now, let's move on.
Old 1st April 2010
  #58
Gear Maniac
 

We never know what make your system so stable that make you to be a happy man everyday; yet we also dont know what makes your system not stable that making you to be an angry man some other day... But one thing that steinberg can really improve is that they should be pay more attention on what we need, like, some bugs that really take them forever to fix... Or they do not consider your finding IS a bug..WTF
Old 1st April 2010
  #59
Gear Maniac
 
JeffE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
However, I must admit that I was too heavy-handed towards you, and so I owe you an apology. I think we ALL just need more tolerance as to letting our peers point out either their concerns or their praise.
You are correct, you and I haven't had enough discussions and we don't know each other enough yet, so I hope we can both move on for now and leave it to time.
Cool! I respect your opinions, and I really don't think we're very far apart here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I just thought you seemed too heavy-handed towards some of Scoox's fair points, which I don't think is really OK.
And indeed I was heavy-handed towards Scoox. My apologies.

When I originally read his post, I thought he had crossed the line between legitimate criticism and bashing, and joined the conversation merely to tout Reaper. (My DAW is better than your DAW!) Perhaps that wasn't his intent - I'd like to hear if he's still using Cubase. I think we may have scared him away, however heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post

I think you made fair observations in that last post... I don't dislike the floating Window handling that much, but, not surprisingly, there are some strange bugs in that area.

Have you ever assigned a MIDI CC to, for example, a "Selected track"/"VST instrument editor window" or similar?

When you press your hw MIDI button it opens the VSTi Editor floating window upon track selection just fine; when you press it again to close it, it closes it, again, just fine, BUT if you press it once again you CANNOT open it anymore, unless you literally click with your mouse on the ALREADY selected track again. Why wasting a MIDI button on that if you still need to use the stupid mouse? LMFAO
No, but I'll give it a try. I do have the CC121 and I haven't had any problems with the button to open the VSTi editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post

I haven't tested the interface you referred, but the price you referred too actually seems fair as compared to the market. It even seems inexpensive. Did you ever tested it in a System Link setup?
I'm afraid my setup isn't quite on the scale of yours! I'm doing OK with a single core i7-based setup. Haven't had the need (yet) to use VST System Link.

Peace out!
Old 1st April 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Ok I think the quality is the worst of any daw regardless of the algorithm selected... A personal opinion that nevertheless many seem to share with me over at cubase forums
Agree. I love most everything Cubase does, but timestretching it does very badly.

Unless of course you only want simple timestreches then it does that fine.

I won't be happy until it can do what ACID and Recycle can do for you.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
musicjon / Product Alerts older than 2 months
17
Boohna / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
3
True North / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump