The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 12th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringboy View Post

What about all my presets, where the hell are they, if i reinstall what about a simple back export of all MY PRESETS, i dont care about the billions of presets cubase, has, i want to delate them, i just want MY PRESETS THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
you don't have to export/import. if you save/back-up the preset folder before you uninstall cubase, simply putting back the preset folder content after reinstalling will do it.
Old 12th July 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
I use Cubase, Live, Logic and Melodyne Studio every day, yes.

Cubase is a very nice sequencer on PC, but unfortunately it's worthless on multicore Mac's IMHO -- especially when you compare its performance with Logic's.

Steinberg publicly acknowledged these performance issues a long time ago and promised to solve them in 5.5.
My finding and complaint exactly. Cubase is my favourite sequencer for it's layout and workflow, but is more or less unusable for tracking to a Mac. It's quite frustrating.

I've resigned myself to using REAPER these days and haven't even bothered with the 5.5 update. I'm waiting to see how it works out for other Mac users before I bother, as I haven't fired up CB for months now.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
Cubase works perfect with Win7 64bit.
Haven't had any problems with any versions of 5 - 5.5 so I guess I have a rare bird.

Maybe you need to reformat and start from scratch.
Win7 64 bit and Cubase are the best combo yet.
Cubase 5.5 / 32 and Win7 / 64 ROCKS here...never been more stable. Think I've had 1 crash in 14 days. And that's working 7 hours a day.
Old 12th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
why dont you address pc issues is your mac users more important?

What happened to addressing the issues below?

"cubase is not compatible with win 7 period, using 16bit colour is the same as disabling aero, cubase will disappear when holding down left click for more then 2 seconds, you try and adjust a knob on a software ui then bang cubase disappears.

secondly the horrendous windows resizing problem, parent child windows press f11 to add a vsti instrument and see what happens to your maximised windows.

hex editing to remove a feature forced on us (font change) not giving the end user a choice, that is a workaround, how would you feel if they changed the gui to pink and not given you the option to revert back to what you were acustomed to????????

You mean to tell me there bridge wasnot falsely advertised lol thats a biggest joke i heard."

win7 64bit users, please help me find out if these problems are just on my system or not.

could you please try to duplicate these things.

Test 1

ok resolution 1920x1080 32bit win7 with aero enabled, (i own a nvidia graphic card also).

here goes while in cubase bring up a vst, say a compressor/eq as a insert .hold left click, keep keft mouse held for about 2-3 seconds and adjust your setting of choice, does cubase disappear?

Test 2
Maximise your main project window, by pressing the maximise button.
Press F11 does your main window unmaximise?

if any one with a win7 machine could try these out please let me know your results

Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

When I first downloaded 5.5, it wouldn't install for whatever reason. I ended up contacting tech support and this is what they had me do. After I did this, Cubase 5.5 installed perfect and it has been rock solid. Knock on wood but I have not had 1 crash and all my plugins work perfect. The only thing I had to do was set up my Custom Templates again. Cant promise this will work for you but it worked great for me.

"First, please shut down Cubase. Then go to the Start menu, All Programs, Cubase 5, Cubase 5 Application Data Folder. In the top address bar, you should see “App Data (roaming) Steinberg” Click on Steinberg at the top. This will put you in the Steinberg app data folder. Trash all of the folders that you see in the application data folder. This will trash your key commands, preferences, sound card settings, etc. It also should clear up the problem you are having. Restart Cubase. You will need to reset your audio outputs (Devices, Device Setup, VST Audio System).

Now try re-applying the patch (Cubase 5.5 patch)."
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
Cant promise this will work for you but it worked great for me.

"First, please shut down Cubase. Then go to the Start menu, All Programs, Cubase 5, Cubase 5 Application Data Folder. In the top address bar, you should see “App Data (roaming) Steinberg” Click on Steinberg at the top. This will put you in the Steinberg app data folder. Trash all of the folders that you see in the application data folder. This will trash your key commands, preferences, sound card settings, etc. It also should clear up the problem you are having. Restart Cubase. You will need to reset your audio outputs (Devices, Device Setup, VST Audio System).

Now try re-applying the patch (Cubase 5.5 patch)."
This sounds like fun, wish I could do something so exciting like this everyday.

Thank you Steinberg for making our lives more exciting!
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
This sounds like fun, wish I could do something so exciting like this everyday.

Thank you Steinberg for making our lives more exciting!
lol...I agree that it's not a fun thing to do but i'm just happy i'm not going through the nightmares some people are going through. Plus, it didn't take me more than a few minutes to do.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
win7 64bit users, please help me find out if these problems are just on my system or not.

Test 1

ok resolution 1920x1080 32bit win7 with aero enabled, (i own a nvidia graphic card also).

here goes while in cubase bring up a vst, say a compressor/eq as a insert .hold left click, keep keft mouse held for about 2-3 seconds and adjust your setting of choice, does cubase disappear?

Test 2

if any one with a win7 machine could try these out please let me know your results
I run Win7 64Bit and Cubase 5.5 32Bit. It works extremely well.

Regarding Test 1 -I used to get this a little bit with Cubase 5.1 but I don't recall experiencing it in 5.5.

Regarding Test 2 -I've changed most of my key commands so I don't know what F11 does but if you are referring to the way that some windows cannot be set to 'Always On Top' (e.g. the Mediabay window) and therefore de-maximise the project window when you access them... yes this remains unchanged in 5.5.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Test 1

Test 2

Well, I am running 2560 x 1600 in native mode (nVidia GeForce 9500GT) w/32 bit color depth on a Dell 30" LCD and did not have any of the problems you mentioned in TEST #1....but that was with 64bit Win7 and 32bit Cubase 5.5

I did not have time to try TEST #2 (actually I forgot) but I will try to check it out in the next day or two.
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Maniac

thanks for trying it out guys, f11 is to bring up my vsti rack, which unmaxmises my screen.

regarding test one, if i hold left click for longer then 2-3 seconds, cubase just disappears until i let go of mouse click.
Old 13th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hello Wiseg,

regarding test 1: this problem has been fixed with the Cubase 5.5 update. Perhaps you have a look at the version history PDF

Redarding test 2: In your case: don't use the maximise button. Just drag the project window in the size you want and it will stay. Perhaps you have a look at this knowledge base article.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for trying it out guys, f11 is to bring up my vsti rack, which unmaxmises my screen.
Right click on your instrument rack and select always on top.

With the above post from Chris both your problems are solved.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Right click on your instrument rack and select always on top.

With the above post from Chris both your problems are solved.
Exactly. The only problem remaining is that a few windows don't offer the 'always on top' option, such as the Mediabay and the Crossfade window -thankfully not very many.

All too often you see people complaining on forums about software when the problem is really that they haven't invested a bit of time figuring out how small problems can be solved or worked around quite easily. To say that "Cubase is not compatible with win 7 period" is utter nonsense and unfortunately demonstrates that Wiseg doesn't really have a clue what he is talking about.
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
Exactly. The only problem remaining is that a few windows don't offer the 'always on top' option, such as the Mediabay and the Crossfade window -thankfully not very many.

All too often you see people complaining on forums about software when the problem is really that they haven't invested a bit of time figuring out how small problems can be solved or worked around quite easily. To say that "Cubase is not compatible with win 7 period" is utter nonsense and unfortunately demonstrates that Wiseg doesn't really have a clue what he is talking about.
sorry i have to disagree, i had to revert back to 5.1 , but as i recall cubase was win7 compatible since early this year/late last year, so the fix for the disappearing cubase was only resolved in this new patch but i cannot verify it as i have gone back to 5.1,

i know all about windows on top but not all windows can be put on top , which will unmaximise any window that is maximised.

how about when you double click on the editor? what happens then?

regarding the forced cosmetic changes to 5.5 this again is not something the userbase requested.

I wont be upgrading cubase again as new features are not what i need, and i cant justify paying for a upgrade for features i will never use,
i need better multicore support but with 5.5 and the decisions made regarding the gui and the lack of always on top for all windows, this update is disappointing.

not to mention the bridge that is still broke.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
I might add that 5.5 is much more buggy as well than 4.5.2.

I can´t understand what those Steinberg guys are doing. Do they actually know what they are doing? Seems like they are bunch of amateurs. They´ve had years to make Cubase better, but it seems to just go backwards (if it even was any good in the first place). They make all these "fancy" features that no one uses anyways and forget totally the common sense "bread&butter" functionality.

Oh well... waiting for the next update, but probably it´s going to be even worse, wouldn´t suprise me at all. Might as well just stayed with 4.5.2 although it sucked as well.
what are you on about? cubase runs better than it ever has and I am a mac fag just like you.... what version osx you running?
Old 13th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hello Wiseg,

Quote:
sorry i have to disagree, i had to revert back to 5.1 , but as i recall cubase was win7 compatible since early this year/late last year, so the fix for the disappearing cubase was only resolved in this new patch but i cannot verify it as i have gone back to 5.1,
As I wrote before: this issue has been fixed now with the Cubase 5.5 update. This can also be found in the version history

Quote:
i know all about windows on top but not all windows can be put on top , which will unmaximise any window that is maximised.
I'm sorry, but I do disagree regarding this. The Mediabay and Beat Designer are at the moment not "always on top". That has a reason: you could easely delete something when you are not "in focus" at the right section. So long we do not have a "saver" solution, we keep it this way.

Quote:
how about when you double click on the editor? what happens then?
Perhaps you could tell what happens at your system. At my system I did also drag manualy the windows in the size I want, and everything goes fine.

Quote:
regarding the forced cosmetic changes to 5.5 this again is not something the userbase requested.
Please don't get blinded from internet forums only. The little "makeover" didn't harm the programm. The makeover "cleaned" mostly the project window to give a better overview.

Quote:
I wont be upgrading cubase again as new features are not what i need, and i cant justify paying for a upgrade for features i will never use,
The Cubase 5.5 update is a free one, and I'm pretty sure that the next upcomming "payed" Cubase update could be interesting (will take some time)

Quote:
i need better multicore support
What do you mean exactly ? Multi Core we support for several years already. We had a problem with octo cores and low latency, but that has been solved now.

Quote:
not to mention the bridge that is still broke
The bridge is not "still broke". Users who have posted reports on Cubase.net recieved an Email from us so we could collect information. Most of the time the problems were user errors, and we also found some information that can help us to improve the bridge. But we cannot gueranty that every plugin will work with the bridge. It is up now for the plugin manufactures to make 64-bit versions, and not for DAW builders to keep 32-bit plugins "alive" with tricks on a 64-bit system.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 14th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbeuermann View Post
The bridge is not "still broke". Users who have posted reports on Cubase.net recieved an Email from us so we could collect information. Most of the time the problems were user errors, and we also found some information that can help us to improve the bridge. But we cannot gueranty that every plugin will work with the bridge. It is up now for the plugin manufactures to make 64-bit versions, and not for DAW builders to keep 32-bit plugins "alive" with tricks on a 64-bit system.

Cheers,

Chris

Pretty much standard that everyone uses jbridge now as it simply works. And if their is a problem with a particular plugin the developer usually fixes it fairly quickly, not in a year or so as with Steinberg. if at all.
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me are very welcomed!(and actually requested for a while)
It seems to me that the re-worked GUI is something of an issue for long-time users that were used to the older one.
For me ,being a fairly new user(ex-Logic user for over 15yrs), one major thing that turned me off me about Cubase, was the very outdated-and kinda "busy"-"messy" visual aspect of the program.Older users,I guess, were used to it,but for potential new users a refresh was much needed imho.
...and I'll tell you what:
I believe there is still lotsa room for improvement on it!

Cheers
P.
Old 15th July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Thanks Chris for intervening.

People criticize SB for being very 'closed' but there has been more interaction both here and cb.net lately, which is welcome.
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

The entire thing about having to force quit every time I close a project is getting old fast. Any idea if switching to J-Bridge will help with this? Again I am running Cubase 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7 with VI's such as Kontakt and BFD2 etc.
Old 15th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
The entire thing about having to force quit every time I close a project is getting old fast. Any idea if switching to J-Bridge will help with this? Again I am running Cubase 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7 with VI's such as Kontakt and BFD2 etc.
I seem to be having a similar issue with Cubase 5.5 32-bit. Sometimes I will close a project and it will just sit there with the hourglass icon and I can come back an hour later and it will still be there. This never happened in Cubase 5.1.
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
I seem to be having a similar issue with Cubase 5.5 32-bit. Sometimes I will close a project and it will just sit there with the hourglass icon and I can come back an hour later and it will still be there. This never happened in Cubase 5.1.
Does it ask you if want to save before it freezes up?
Old 15th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hello,

regarding a "forced" quit:

This can happen due a combination of hardware and drivers. When you quit Cubase, then Cubase gives a "shut down" info to all the drivers that are involved. Cubase waits then till a driver reports back that he has recieved the info and has shut down. (the short story)
When Cubase does not get this info back, then it will wait and wait. Updating drivers, reconnecting USB devices on different ports could help to solve this.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

This can happen due a combination of hardware and drivers. When you quit Cubase, then Cubase gives a "shut down" info to all the drivers that are involved. Cubase waits then till a driver reports back that he has recieved the info and has shut down. (the short story)
When Cubase does not get this info back, then it will wait and wait. Updating drivers, reconnecting USB devices on different ports could help to solve this.

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

hey all,

I just upgraded from 4.5 to 5.01 and will update to 5.5. Is there any way i can import my preferences from the old version? for example, all my input and output channels on my audio interface were mapped to cubase channels, but no they all show up as not connected??
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
hey all,

I just upgraded from 4.5 to 5.01 and will update to 5.5. Is there any way i can import my preferences from the old version? for example, all my input and output channels on my audio interface were mapped to cubase channels, but no they all show up as not connected??
Do the preferences not get loaded when you import 4.5 tracks?

If they do just load a track, delete everything then save it as default template.

I don't know if there is a better way or not.
Old 17th July 2010
Quote:
Hello,

Cheers,

Chris
I'm using the Steinberg MR816X with the latest drivers.
Old 17th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
Does it ask you if want to save before it freezes up?
Yeah, I go to close the project, it asks to save and it saves properly, then it just sits there with the hourglass cursor. After some playing around, it seems like going to File then Exit doesn't create the problem, only when I go to press the Close [X] button on the upper right corner.
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Nut

Does this also happen if:
- first cntrl-s
- then press X to close the project
- then press X to close Cubase
?
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Whoa... I found a store here that sells Cubase 5 (full edition) to students for only 255 euro's. Sounds good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search