The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 11th July 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
I like it partly, so can I stay here?

I don´t like the sluggish, slow, unsnappy performance on Mac, the countless bugs that never seems to go away, useless bloat features instead of the missing common sense features. Otherwise I love it!
That's 2!
Old 11th July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

author - who made you forum meister ? I don't remember an election for chairman of the board !

Can you DISPROVE it. There are many thousands of Cubase users, between the number of complainants here, KVR and CB.net, there are around 30-35 complainers, yet there are hundreds of Cubase users who are registered on those forums.

The grass most certainly isn't greener elsewhere, as mentioned. I also use Ableton Live, which by the end of v7 was a rock solid program, v8 has been anything but, well over a year after release, they are still releasing BETA upgrades. Logic 9 also has a sizeable minority of complainers. PT8 also had issues.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso View Post
lol...I'm still on Cubase 4.5. Works like a charm. The plan was to wait for about a year from the v.5 release, then upgrade - when all bugs would be gone-. Looks like I'm gonna wait some more heh
Still using 4.5.2 WinXP 32bit SP3 also still working just fine...I've used many different DAW's and Cubase still seems like the best....no runs no drips no errors...I will wait and skip 5 and see about 6 when it comes out!
Interesting how software upgrades sometimes take a version in between to get squared away....Cubase 4 to Cubase 6....hmmm
Old 11th July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

This happened to me with SX3 to C5, skipping C4. C4 to me, didn't bring much to the table until well into the release, at the beginning there was no sidechaining, no 64 bit support, and 4.1 added a lot of things which if had been in 4.0 might have enticed me to buy. It was also pretty crashtastic early on, C5 has been much more stable than the early releases of C4 for most people I know who have had both. C4 became tighter and more stable in the final couple of releases prior to C5.

Was also still annoyed with SB for threatening to ban me from their forum, the broken promises over the SX 3.1.2 update and dropping DX support craftily without mentioning it until the C4 boxes were in the stores, then the mighty arrogant attitiudes and statements about it.

So I invested in Ableton Live and was glad I did, I love working with Live and Cubase. After skipping C4, C5 seemed like it was LOADED with tons of features after SX3.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
This happened to me with SX3 to C5, skipping C4. C4 to me, didn't bring much to the table until well into the release, at the beginning there was no sidechaining, no 64 bit support, and 4.1 added a lot of things which if had been in 4.0 might have enticed me to buy. It was also pretty crashtastic early on, C5 has been much more stable than the early releases of C4 for most people I know who have had both. C4 became tighter and more stable in the final couple of releases prior to C5.

Was also still annoyed with SB for threatening to ban me from their forum, the broken promises over the SX 3.1.2 update and dropping DX support craftily without mentioning it until the C4 boxes were in the stores, then the mighty arrogant attitiudes and statements about it.

So I invested in Ableton Live and was glad I did, I love working with Live and Cubase. After skipping C4, C5 seemed like it was LOADED with tons of features after SX3.
I was thinking of getting the Novation Launchpad with Ableton to supplement my Cubase....
How do you like using that combo and what do you do with each.
Any thoughts on the Launchpad used with Ableton?
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
there are around 30-35 complainers, yet there are hundreds of Cubase users who are registered on those forums.
...and they all hate Cubase!

Can you hear it now?

Here's your claim once again:

Quote:
great experience with no major issues, or at least which affected me. The majority of users feel the same. For every complainer, there are dozens of satisfied customers
Second-guessing the opinions of the silent majority will never be part of decent conversation.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Geez, all you espionage agents get tiresome.

Is there anywhere the rest of us can continue to discuss the software without all the corporate politics, rabid agendas and preconceived opinions?
Old 11th July 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
...and they all hate Cubase!

Can you hear it now?

Here's your claim once again:

Second-guessing the opinions of the silent majority will never be part of decent conversation.
Just got done with another flawless Cubase 5.5 session......man I Love Cubase!!!!!heh
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this even a decent conversation? This looks a lot like that same "SB sucks makes new bugs and bloats the app now none of my stuff works they should focus on KEY FEATURES and not invent new ones no one really needs" -mantra which has some minimal grounds on reality and is mostly just a self-fulfilling thought pattern.

Obviously the program rocks, because even the naggers are addicted to it.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Back to the topic here.

Melodyne just came out with a fix for Cubase 5/Nuendo 5.

"July 5. We have released a new service update for Melodyne editor, Melodyne assistant and Melodyne essential. The update resolves a compatibility problem with the new Version 5.5 of Cubase and Version 5 of Nuendo as well as offering various minor bug-fixes and optimizations for all three editions."
Old 12th July 2010
Deleted User
No issues yet with 5.5 here except this odd one

Delete Unused Media Bug - Cubendo.com - Bugbase
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I'm running W7 Pro and I just updated to version 5.5 last night. So far, the only quirk I've noticed is some of the key commands like (-)rewind and (+)fast forward aren't working. Anyone know what's up with that?
I ran Cubase as administrator and it fixed that. The only other thing I've really noticed that bugs me is the program does crash every once in a while when I close it. Never did that before the update.
Old 12th July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

I have recorded 2 tracks today in Cubase 5.5 with no problems whatsoever. One from audio and MIDI imported from Ableton Live, running around 52 tracks on my humble Core2Duo machine, which benefits massively now from Reverence being so much more efficient in C5.5. The other scratch tracks for a friend of mine, micing up a garage band, and then a few overdubs on top, all went swimmingly.

Again, author who asked you to be a moderator ? If you hate Cubase so much, you need to jog on with wiseg, what a happy couple you would make

That's enough from me, I'm happy to get on with making music unhindered in Cubase 5.5 like the rest of the silent majority. Laters.

Launchpad and/or the APC40 is a great way to make music with Live BTW. Live 8 is still a bit too buggy for me to upgrade, I'm on 7.0.18 which can run APC40 and Launchpad still. I don't own a Launchpad or APC40, but I've got a couple of friends who do and it's really a cool way to work and compliments Cubase well. One thing to remember with Live is that in Rewire Slave mode, you can use Live's own devices, i.e. Simpler, Operator, and Live's own FX but you cannot host 3rd party VST/AU. You need Live 8.1 or above to run Max4Live, the integrated Max/MSP inside Live.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please provide documentation for that claim!

Do you actually use Cubase??
From your posts on most threads you keep asking other members regarding Mac/Cubase performance,etc.
It seems to me that you bother too much about what other ppl have to say about Cubase.
Just use it and if it suits you,good.Otherwise there is a plethora of daws around...

Cheers
P.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
Is this even a decent conversation? This looks a lot like that same "SB sucks makes new bugs and bloats the app now none of my stuff works they should focus on KEY FEATURES and not invent new ones no one really needs" -mantra which has some minimal grounds on reality and is mostly just a self-fulfilling thought pattern.

Obviously the program rocks, because even the naggers are addicted to it.
+1
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post

Do you actually use Cubase??
I use Cubase, Live, Logic and Melodyne Studio every day, yes.

Cubase is a very nice sequencer on PC, but unfortunately it's worthless on multicore Mac's IMHO -- especially when you compare its performance with Logic's.

Steinberg publicly acknowledged these performance issues a long time ago and promised to solve them in 5.5.

Quote:
From your posts on most threads you keep asking other members regarding Mac/Cubase performance,etc.
It seems to me that you bother too much about what other ppl have to say about Cubase.
Not sure why you're interested, but I happen to be a busy guy who can't afford to spend half a day on updating if the majority of mac users report little or no improvement of these performance issues.
Old 12th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hello Author,

Steinberg publicly acknowledged these performance issues a long time ago and promised to solve the situation in 5.5.

We did solved this with Cubase 5.5 / Nuendo 5. That some people wrote that they did not gained extra performance had several reasons:

1. They have PPC CPU's
2. They are working with Mac OS X 10.4.x / 10.5.x
3. They used "old" PPC plugins in the projects. These plugins can only work when they are bridged, and bridged "cost" performance.
4 They have a 4 core system. As written in the release documents: When using low ASIO buffer settings the multi core performance of systems with more than 4 CPU cores has been improved.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbeuermann View Post
Hello Author,

Steinberg publicly acknowledged these performance issues a long time ago and promised to solve the situation in 5.5.

We did solved this with Cubase 5.5 / Nuendo 5. That some people wrote that they did not gained extra performance had several reasons:

1. They have PPC CPU's
3. They used "old" PPC plugins in the projects. These plugins can only work when they are bridged, and bridged "cost" performance.
4 They have a 4 core system. As written in the release documents: When using low ASIO buffer settings the multi core performance of systems with more than 4 CPU cores has been improved.

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. thumbsup Your list seems to answer important questions -- not only for me, but for quite a few users.

I'm on a system that should benefit from 5.5. So I'll take your word for it and upgrade.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Author,

1. They have PPC CPU's

Cheers,

Chris
None of those points apply to me and Cubase 5.5 on Snow Leopard is even more sluggish, slow and unsnappy than 4.5.2 was with Leopard (and that wasn´t picnic either).
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use Cubase,
Not sure why you're interested, but I happen to be a busy guy who can't afford to spend half a day on updating if the majority of mac users report little or no improvement of these performance issues.
Well,actually that's why I suggested you find out yourself instead of wasting valuable time on GS.You'll save time in the long run.

BTW, Chris B. thanx for your reply and following the thread.
I wonder if Logic users get similar attention from Apple regarding their issues...
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
None of those points apply to me and Cubase 5.5 on Snow Leopard is even more sluggish, slow and unsnappy than 4.5.2 was with Leopard
Odd... and you trashed preferences & updated everything to SL -- including screen/interface drivers?
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well,actually that's why I suggested you find out yourself instead of wasting valuable time on GS.You'll save time in the long run.
Thank you for your concern, but I'm a very fast writer. stike
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Odd... and you trashed preferences & updated everything to SL -- including screen/interface drivers?
Yes I updated absolutely everything and everything went perfectly fine, but what about this trashing what preferences? I didn´t do that.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I updated absolutely everything and everything went perfectly fine, but what about this trashing what preferences? I didn´t do that.
Don't get your hopes up, but deleting Cubase's Preferences can do wonders. The program simply rebuilds them at next launch. You can do a search on the Cubase forum for more details.

Be sure to backup the folder, just in case you want to revert. And take notes, as you will lose all of your old settings -- for better or for worse.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up, but deleting Cubase's Preferences can do wonders. The program simply rebuilds them at next launch. You can do a search on the Cubase forum for more details.

Be sure to backup the folder, just in case you want to revert. And take notes, as you will lose all of your old settings -- for better or for worse.
What will I lose exactly by doing this? Will I lose all the presets?

This doesn´t sound very tempting and I can´t understand how this would even improve the sluggish performance...
Old 12th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello Author,

1. They have PPC CPU's

Cheers,

Chris

why dont you address pc issues is your mac users more important?

What happened to addressing the issues below?

"cubase is not compatible with win 7 period, using 16bit colour is the same as disabling aero, cubase will disappear when holding down left click for more then 2 seconds, you try and adjust a knob on a software ui then bang cubase disappears.

secondly the horrendous windows resizing problem, parent child windows press f11 to add a vsti instrument and see what happens to your maximised windows.

hex editing to remove a feature forced on us (font change) not giving the end user a choice, that is a workaround, how would you feel if they changed the gui to pink and not given you the option to revert back to what you were acustomed to????????

You mean to tell me there bridge wasnot falsely advertised lol thats a biggest joke i heard."
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What will I lose exactly by doing this? Will I lose all the presets?

This doesn´t sound very tempting and I can´t understand how this would even improve the sluggish performance...
Cubase.net .:::. View topic - How do I delete Cubase 5 preferences

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - Resetting/trashing Cubase 5 preferences
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase works perfect with Win7 64bit.
Haven't had any problems with any versions of 5 - 5.5 so I guess I have a rare bird.

Maybe you need to reformat and start from scratch.
Win7 64 bit and Cubase are the best combo yet.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
why dont you address pc issues is your mac users more important?

What happened to addressing the issues below?

"cubase is not compatible with win 7 period, using 16bit colour is the same as disabling aero, cubase will disappear when holding down left click for more then 2 seconds, you try and adjust a knob on a software ui then bang cubase disappears.

secondly the horrendous windows resizing problem, parent child windows press f11 to add a vsti instrument and see what happens to your maximised windows.

hex editing to remove a feature forced on us (font change) not giving the end user a choice, that is a workaround, how would you feel if they changed the gui to pink and not given you the option to revert back to what you were acustomed to????????

You mean to tell me there bridge wasnot falsely advertised lol thats a biggest joke i heard."
No one is forcing you to use Cubase. If it does not work for you, go to another DAW that makes you happier. There are tons of DAW's out there you can use.

I have Samplitude and Cubase DAW's. If for some reason an update on one caused problems, I can always go to the other DAW if I have a project to do until the issues are resolved. Sorry but that is just the way things are with softwware. I downloaded the latest Wavelab 6 and now my Wave plug ins are not recogznied and I can't get them to see them if I choose my VST plug in folder or Waves folder. I have Samplitude to fall back on for mastering until I call tech support at Steinberg to fix the problem.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Yes I found those threads earlier with google too, but there´s really nothing official in those threads, just lots of mixed info and doesn´t even answer my questions.

So I´m not gonna do it unless Steinberg themselves announce that "trashing your preferences will make your Cubase 5.5 snappy and fast", which I doubt very much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search