The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 8th July 2010
  #391
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H. Boer View Post
Running without any troubles whatsoever on my PC (XPprofSP2) all my plugs work, all projects open.
You are lucky. Cubase 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7 is HELL! I have to force quit every session that has a virtual instrument! I also found out that now my M-Audio midi keyboard won't record because of some lame bug. I hope that version 5.5.1 is coming soon with fixes or else I might have to jump back to Pro Tools or something.
Old 8th July 2010
  #392
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Lots of people have solved the 'disappearing' VST problem by disabling UAC and then running Cubase as an administrator. This is a quirk of vista and win 7, not Cubase !

where the hell are you pulling that balony from.

if they advertise as vista and win7 compatible, why the hell are end users doing workarounds?

same way the gui will disappear if you hold left mouse down when adjusting things in cubase, disable aero no other programmes suffer from these poor bugs.

How about hex editing the exe to change fonts, we have to hack our own programme to fix faults.

theres no quirks in vista and win7 , its piss poor programming.

dfegad
Old 8th July 2010
  #393
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

I'm running W7 Pro and I just updated to version 5.5 last night. So far, the only quirk I've noticed is some of the key commands like (-)rewind and (+)fast forward aren't working. Anyone know what's up with that?
Old 8th July 2010
  #394
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

wiseg

I thought you had already moved on to another sequencer !

time to jog on fella


most users are happy enough with Cubase - you're not and while expressing discontent is fine, you have become toxic. So do yourself and everyone else a favour and jog on.
Old 8th July 2010
  #395
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
where the hell are you pulling that balony from.

if they advertise as vista and win7 compatible, why the hell are end users doing workarounds?

same way the gui will disappear if you hold left mouse down when adjusting things in cubase, disable aero no other programmes suffer from these poor bugs.

How about hex editing the exe to change fonts, we have to hack our own programme to fix faults.

theres no quirks in vista and win7 , its piss poor programming.

dfegad
admin mode isn't a work-around /p
Old 8th July 2010
  #396
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
I've been threatened with a ban on the Cubase forum for arguing about things in the past
hehehe.

I had been there for about two weeks and was reasonably well behaved compared to what I can be like heh. All of a sudden I got a message from the Steinberg employed moderator to watch my tone. I of course was having none of that, but I wont say any more as its a private matter and I think he does visit here

Anyway LQM, I enjoy your posts and I trust your opinions. Thats very rare for me, and theres a good reason why I trust what you say.
Old 8th July 2010
  #397
Gear Maniac
 

I have upgraded to 5.5 on my Mac (not pC yet) and all is well here. I have found Cubase 5 to be very stable. I honestly cant recall a crash. Thats not fanboyism. I have no loyalty to any DAW as I use a number of them.

But I have 2 gripes.

1. I hate the way the browser vanishes. Why they will not add a stay on top feature is just a total mystery. I would like them to just give me a damn simple browser so I can look through my own audio samples with ease. They can still have their fancy thing aimed at the post guys, I just want something simple that stays on top.

2. The company simply refuses to listen to their customer base. Their total lack of actual real integration with their forum members is shocking. They act like their working on the most secret plans in the universe.

I remember Digidesign were like this ten years ago but they ahve changed their ways. At least the guy there speaks the language of a real users and he's pretty active. He even DOES say what their working on within his boundaries. It make a helluva difference. That alone made me pick up a copy of M powered which I really like. Even got me started on thinking about going HD again, but I doubt I will do that.

Ableton Live were very good at integrating with their user base up to about version 4 or 5 and now they have stopped. Shame. They used to listen to their customer base (sort of) but they listened only to the must have every feature crew. Now you have to be 14 for them to listen to you.

I remember using ver 2 and many of us linear arrangers asking for a simple mute tool or mute command for clips/regions. We got an answer around ver 7 that they will never implement this. The guy even hinted that because all other software has this feature they will never do it. This is the thinking over at Ableton. They have now got it in to their heads that they are superhuman advanced programmers/company and they will do it their way or no way. But look at all that pallava when they announced their joining up with Cycling 74 or whatever their name is. This allows you to build your own plugins. Massive threads about how wonderful this will be. As soon as its done barely a mention from those loud and vocal users who keep demanding esoteric features that once implemented are not used. Ive seen it time and again with Live. The idea seems great but in practice its just not. They rode a wave of can do no wrong for many years but that never lasts forever.

(back to the mute tool) Having to left click each individual clip, wait for a menu to pop up and then select 'deactivate clip' is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine coming from a background since the Atari days and every piece of music software you have ever used had a mute tool or a key command. Then you swicth to software (Live) you like it and you think its just a matter of time. you wait year in year out, you request it so many many times along with others. 8 years later you realise they will never add one. My patience was worn down. It was my main Daw for many years which I invested a lot of time and effort in to getting to know in side and out. Its peopel like me they should have been trying to keep , not fly by nighter software users who move on to the next new thing

They lost me when the guy said they will never add a mute tool or key command for it I vowed I wouldnt upgrade to ver 8 but I did, I couldnt help my self. But thats it for me. I wont upgrade Live ever again.


Ok back to Cubase . yeah its cool. Not perfect but decent, ok, not bad at all. I cant explain why some of you are having stability issues.
Old 9th July 2010
  #398
Gear Maniac
 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
admin mode isn't a work-around /p
the 'disappearing' VST problem by disabling UAC

is that not a work around?

is disabling aero to stop the cubase from disappearing in win7 not a workaround ? when other daws cope perfectly fine with it enabled.

Is hex editing the cubase 5 exe to fix the font change not a work around?

Is buying jbridge to replace the falsely advertised bridge to enable 32bit plugs to work in a 64bit environment not a workaround?

dfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegad
Old 9th July 2010
  #399
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
the 'disappearing' VST problem by disabling UAC

is that not a work around?

is disabling aero to stop the cubase from disappearing in win7 not a workaround ? when other daws cope perfectly fine with it enabled.

Is hex editing the cubase 5 exe to fix the font change not a work around?

Is buying jbridge to replace the falsely advertised bridge to enable 32bit plugs to work in a 64bit environment not a workaround?
Wow!

To comment on my first comment, disabling UAC in the first place you are crippling windows. There is nothing you need to change from the original Win installation. First time you launch Cubase you right click then allow Windows full access to the program - this is basic windows operation, if you don't understand this you don't know enough about your OS your using - read the manual.

there is no need to disable aero - unless you want to for asthetics

hex editing the program to change the font is optional

jbridge isn't neccesary either.... at least in my experience what plugin do you require it for?

AFAIK only plugin that doesnt' work is WAVES, no matter what hacks you can come up with.
Old 9th July 2010
  #400
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

wiseg, did you go for Logic, Sonar, Pro Tools or something else???

I'm really curious to know which sequencer you have replaced the bugfest (which is Cubase) with.

I know I shouldn't care less, but it's like a daytime soap opera, inane, but addictive heh - such drama !
Old 9th July 2010
  #401
Lives for gear
 

I don´t know what Steinberg has done but Cubase 5.5 with Snow Leopard is more sluggish than 4.5.2 with Leopard.

It´s actually painfully slow and unresponsive.
Old 9th July 2010
  #402
Gear Head
 

Ok, I don't know what I am doing correctly, but I just upgraded my macpro to snow leopard and Cubase 5.5 and find that I am able to work at lower latencies without a glitch. I find everything snappier and more responsive aswell.

The only issue I am having is my graphics card which SL seems to have mucked up it's 2nd DVI port (ati hd2600x).

Just thought I would chime in as I haven't hit any major glitches (not to say i won't start getting bombarded by problems now that I posted this )
Old 9th July 2010
  #403
Gear Addict
 

I run cubase on mac(sometimes) and PC,now on my mac pro 10.6.3 in the beginning 5.5 was very unstable with variaudio,than I trashed preferences and now everything seams OK,on the other hand on PC running WIn 7 on core i 7 64 bit system 32 bit ,cubase 5.5 is great ,fast and stable.
Old 9th July 2010
  #404
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
I don´t know what Steinberg has done but Cubase 5.5 with Snow Leopard is more sluggish than 4.5.2 with Leopard.

It´s actually painfully slow and unresponsive.
I might add that 5.5 is much more buggy as well than 4.5.2.

I can´t understand what those Steinberg guys are doing. Do they actually know what they are doing? Seems like they are bunch of amateurs. They´ve had years to make Cubase better, but it seems to just go backwards (if it even was any good in the first place). They make all these "fancy" features that no one uses anyways and forget totally the common sense "bread&butter" functionality.

Oh well... waiting for the next update, but probably it´s going to be even worse, wouldn´t suprise me at all. Might as well just stayed with 4.5.2 although it sucked as well.
Old 9th July 2010
  #405
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post
I can´t understand what those Steinberg guys are doing. Do they actually know what they are doing? Seems like they are bunch of amateurs.
Then again, it's weird that most professional Cubase users I know have no major problems using the DAW daily.

They usually know what they're doing -- not so sure about some random warez teens, one might sometimes get the impression that they're a bunch of

Yeah, I personally dislike the new fonts. Performance-wise, it's a bit better than 5.1 on my XP rig. Two weeks 5.5 has been smooth sailing here
Old 10th July 2010
  #406
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Wow!

To comment on my first comment, disabling UAC in the first place you are crippling windows. There is nothing you need to change from the original Win installation. First time you launch Cubase you right click then allow Windows full access to the program - this is basic windows operation, if you don't understand this you don't know enough about your OS your using - read the manual.

there is no need to disable aero - unless you want to for asthetics

hex editing the program to change the font is optional

jbridge isn't neccesary either.... at least in my experience what plugin do you require it for?

AFAIK only plugin that doesnt' work is WAVES, no matter what hacks you can come up with.
do you even use win7?


cubase is not compatible with win 7 period, using 16bit colour is the same as disabling aero, cubase will disappear when holding down left click for more then 2 seconds, you try and adjust a knob on a software ui then bang cubase disappears.

secondly the horrendous windows resizing problem, parent child windows press f11 to add a vsti instrument and see what happens to your maximised windows.

hex editing to remove a feature forced on us (font change) not giving the end user a choice, that is a workaround, how would you feel if they changed the gui to pink and not given you the option to revert back to what you were acustomed to????????

You mean to tell me there bridge wasnot falsely advertised lol thats a biggest joke i heard.


and to my canadian friend, i use reaper and a combo of cubase, im still stuck in the loop hole, i want steinberg to better cubase not make it worse, thatss why i air my views.

if you need to verify any of the prroblems stated just look around as many suffer from the same things and more.
Old 10th July 2010
  #407
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
do you even use win7?

cubase is not compatible with win 7 period, using 16bit colour is the same as disabling aero, cubase will disappear when holding down left click for more then 2 seconds, you try and adjust a knob on a software ui then bang cubase disappears.
I'm sorry but this is just wrong.

Please try to be less vague in your posts and more on topic.

Again I have none of these issues, maybe you should format your hard drive and start again from skratch? You've probably got too much extra junk in your system and residue from needless tweaks (reg edit?).

sorry to hear for all your brutal pains
Old 10th July 2010
  #408
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
You should get in the habit of not updating anything unless

a) something isn't working right

AND (not or)

b) everyone agrees that the update is a good thing (flawless installation + useful changes + no new bugs).

I'm still working with Cubase 5.1 and it has been nothing but smooth sailing since last summer.

Edit: sorry, that Cubase 5.0.1 - not 5.1
Frame this. Very wise. Perfect. I am the same way. 5.0.1 is a very GOOD release of Cubase. I have tried 5.5 and have a Ghost Image that I can play with when I have time to putz around.

I do the real work in 5.0.1.

Gary
Old 10th July 2010
  #409
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

Steinberg aren't listening to you for years, then the logical thing is move on.

wiseg and bob - move on before you need therapy ! Seriously, if Cubase gave me a fraction of the problems you are having over a number of years and upgrades, I would have jogged on rapidly a good while ago.

I'm sure Justin and co at the Reaper forum would be delighted to handle all your complaints and queries in a manner SB didn't.

I used Cubase on the Atari ST, had a spell with Sonar at 2 and 3 on PC, I had the same frustration with Cakewalk, but instead of whining on the Cakewalk forum, KVR, Gearslutz for years, moved back to Cubase at SX2, and while it hasn't been entirely bug free, it has mostly been a great experience with no major issues, or at least which affected me. The majority of users feel the same. For every complainer, there are dozens of satisfied customers - with computer software this is always the case. You can get good crossgrade prices on some other sequencers, look them up and consider moving.
Old 10th July 2010
  #410
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Steinberg aren't listening to you for years, then the logical thing is move on.

wiseg and bob - move on before you need therapy ! Seriously, if Cubase gave me a fraction of the problems you are having over a number of years and upgrades, I would have jogged on rapidly a good while ago.

I'm sure Justin and co at the Reaper forum would be delighted to handle all your complaints and queries in a manner SB didn't.

I used Cubase on the Atari ST, had a spell with Sonar at 2 and 3 on PC, I had the same frustration with Cakewalk, but instead of whining on the Cakewalk forum, KVR, Gearslutz for years, moved back to Cubase at SX2, and while it hasn't been entirely bug free, it has mostly been a great experience with no major issues, or at least which affected me. The majority of users feel the same. For every complainer, there are dozens of satisfied customers - with computer software this is always the case. You can get good crossgrade prices on some other sequencers, look them up and consider moving.
Same here. Been using Cubase since the Atari days. Always looking at the other DAWs but there's just no way I'm switchin'. I love Cubase. There I said it.
Old 10th July 2010
  #411
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
great experience with no major issues, or at least which affected me. The majority of users feel the same. For every complainer, there are dozens of satisfied customers
Please provide documentation for that claim!
Old 10th July 2010
  #412
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Please provide documentation for that claim!
Where do I sign?
Old 10th July 2010
  #413
Lives for gear
 

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Where do I sign?
Nice, that was one! thumbsup

Now, LQM just needs to provide 23 other fans to balance Complainer #1.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 11th July 2010
  #414
LQM
Lives for gear
 
LQM's Avatar
 

People who are happy don't tend to write on internet forums. They are busy getting along making music.

People who complain tend to write and write and write ....

The silent majority - ever heard of it ?

I worked in customer service for a financial services company many moons ago, we were distraught at having received over 400 written complaints - yet, we were voted best financial services company that year and 2 of the next 3 years.

Remember this - unhappy - do something about it - you get no joy - crossgrade/move along. If you let an open wound ooze for too long, you get gangrene.
Old 11th July 2010
  #415
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
People who are happy don't tend to write on internet forums. They are busy getting along making music.

People who complain tend to write and write and write ....

The silent majority - ever heard of it ?

I worked in customer service for a financial services company many moons ago, we were distraught at having received over 400 written complaints - yet, we were voted best financial services company that year and 2 of the next 3 years.
I've said the same thing. Steinberg has an internet meme problem. One loudmouth equals twenty average users.

When some average user finally has a problem he goes online, tries to solve it he finds himself in the middle of some random "Shame on you SB" warzone thread...unsure of the way things actually are, he picks up a gun and begins to cover his back by firing to the same direction where the most trigger-happy people are firing at

Point is, things like that are contagious and people can't resist the process of finding a single culprit for all the problems. User errors / bad planning / "multi-culprit" solutions are not options, if the plug-in X does not work flawlessly in environment Y, you blame DAW Z 'cos its the easiest way.

I've used Cubase for seven years. I used ProTools for three years, I've experience from others too...the grass ain't greener anywhere! Cubase has killer editing capabilities, the next version better have beat detective 'cos that's one of the things what's really missing thumbsup
Old 11th July 2010
  #416
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
People who are happy don't tend to write on internet forums. They are busy getting along making music.

People who complain tend to write and write and write ....

The silent majority - ever heard of it ?

I worked in customer service for a financial services company many moons ago, we were distraught at having received over 400 written complaints - yet, we were voted best financial services company that year and 2 of the next 3 years.

Remember this - unhappy - do something about it - you get no joy - crossgrade/move along. If you let an open wound ooze for too long, you get gangrene.
So, you can't document your claims?
Old 11th July 2010
  #417
Lives for gear
 
Jovas's Avatar
This thread is about Cubase 5.5, if you don't like it **** off
Old 11th July 2010
  #418
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
So, you can't document your claims?
Can't get Cubase to perform? Sound like a classic case of operator malfunction. Maybe you should pick yourself up a PTHD system for $20k. (Oh sorry they're having their own issues). I guess you're SOL.
Old 11th July 2010
  #419
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Nice, that was one! thumbsup

Now, LQM just needs to provide 23 other fans to balance Complainer #1.
I think the point was most of them ain't that "busy" browsing Gearslutz

(It's sunday, I can do whatever I want! )
Old 11th July 2010
  #420
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
This thread is about Cubase 5.5, if you don't like it **** off
I like it partly, so can I stay here?

I don´t like the sluggish, slow, unsnappy performance on Mac, the countless bugs that never seems to go away, useless bloat features instead of the missing common sense features. Otherwise I love it!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
musicjon / Product Alerts older than 2 months
17
Boohna / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
3
True North / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump