The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Well that's a good thing, definately, as you use Studio One.

That's the bit, I'm confused about, you use Studio One and your really happy with it (which is good to hear)

Why are you talking about Cubase 5.5 which you don't use and clearly don't like (which is also more than fair enough) you have me .

Your posts appear more baffling to me than Steinbergs decision to animate the Inspector Panel :-)

Best
Treeb's
Because I own Cubase. S1 is a very recent DAW, and when I bought Cubase 4 Studio One didn't exist yet. I got my upgrade to Cubase 5 from Steinberg because I bought Cubase 4 only a few weeks before 5 came out and they offered a free ugrade. After trying Cubase 4 I wasn't very satisfied with my purchase, but I had already bought it, so I was stuck.

So basically I am only moaning because I spent £315 on a product that I am not very happy with, in the hope that one day I might get my money's worth. And I am not a masochist who keeps buying upgrades: I have not paid a single penny to Steinberg since I bought Cubase 4 and luckily demos are not available so when Cubase 6 is released I will definitely give it a try as I already have a dongle, but clearly I won't be buying an upgrade if it's not what I am looking for. Before I couldn't make this sort of decision becasue there was no demo, so I have been cheated. If Steinberg would offer me a refund I'd stop the ranting and give them a bit of credit actually because at least they would have done the right thing.

At present I use Cubase only as an audio editor because its audio editing capabilities work rather well, then export the audio and import it into Studio One. This is not ideal but does the trick for me. It's a pity that other parts of the software are such a botch.
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Head

C5.5

I can completely understand why some of you are angry about the c5.5 update. From the sounds of it, this might be the last or one of the last updates to come out for it. I was hoping they would maybe add a tab to transient or a more usable time stretch as well but no such luck. Other than the better multicore support which I was supposed to benefit from there wasn't much of a reason to upgrade. Heres what I noticed right off the bat:

The interface was all rearranged and color schemes were different. It was harder to make edits to the grid. They changed the snap to button to look different and I actually had trouble finding it. I noticed I could no longer blend the reverb on their revx plug or whatever its called and all songs I used it on would load up and sound completely different. It made several plugins not work correctly anymore and I've had several crashes since. I also noticed that when I mix down an mp3 it will tag it regardless of whether I check insert id. So just today I downgraded back cause thankfully I kept the old upgrade file and I'm not upgrading again till they discontinue the product.

It no longer amazes me that when I first bought Cubase 4 when it first came out how buggy it was. Steinberg aka yamaha are abunch of jackoffs who test products on paying customers. Sure things come out with bugs but the first year I had C5 I couldn't even use it cause it would crash too often and there was no way to jump back and forth between C4 and C5 to make edits where the other one lacked stability or features.

All in all I'm really starting to think it might be time to switch DAWs. I'm sick of buying the same program over and over with limited upgrades, and I'd like to back that other guy who was praising studio one cause it really is solid and good!
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
There are bugs and there are bugs. Every DAW has 'em (Logic 9 anyone?)
My theory is that Logic 9 just needs a lot of RAM.

People with 16+ gigs don't seem to have issues.
Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinPottyMouth View Post
Steinberg aka yamaha are abunch of jackoffs who test products on paying customers.
I think an awerful lot of us were hoping that they would test it out on us first!, in the form of a public beta program. That would get rid of a lot of grief before putting out the official release update.
Old 28th June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Every software has bugs, Cubase 5 is excellent in comparison to Logic 9 and Ableton Live 8 in terms of serious bugs.

Timestretching is something which should be addressed in Cubase 6, just as Logic did from v8 to 9. There is a new timestretch algorithm in 5.5 but you can't expect a major overhaul like that in a free .5 update.

A couple of dozen people complaining about bugs from thousands of users, on a program which supports 3 windows o/s (xp, vista and win 7) in 32 and 64 bit, 2 mac o/s (leopard and snow leopard) again 32 and 64 bit and thousands of different potential configurations/chipsets/components etc is a small number - unfortunate if you're affected but no Cubase version has ever ended on a .0, so expect at least one hotfix to 5.5

The CB.net forum is back btw.

C5 has been rock solid for most users. If you said C4 was unusable, you would get more agreement, it took many bug fixes to get C4 running optimally for a lot of users, an update that was rushed because a lot of the functionality promised didn't even make it into the program until 4.1 or even 4.5
Old 28th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Every software has bugs, Cubase 5 is excellent in comparison to Logic 9 and Ableton Live 8 in terms of serious bugs.

Timestretching is something which should be addressed in Cubase 6, just as Logic did from v8 to 9. There is a new timestretch algorithm in 5.5 but you can't expect a major overhaul like that in a free .5 update.

A couple of dozen people complaining about bugs from thousands of users, on a program which supports 3 windows o/s (xp, vista and win 7) in 32 and 64 bit, 2 mac o/s (leopard and snow leopard) again 32 and 64 bit and thousands of different potential configurations/chipsets/components etc is a small number - unfortunate if you're affected but no Cubase version has ever ended on a .0, so expect at least one hotfix to 5.5

The CB.net forum is back btw.

C5 has been rock solid for most users. If you said C4 was unusable, you would get more agreement, it took many bug fixes to get C4 running optimally for a lot of users, an update that was rushed because a lot of the functionality promised didn't even make it into the program until 4.1 or even 4.5
I agree with you 100%. Cubase 5.5 is very rock solid for me on XP 32 bit on my Dell computer. All my plug ins work too.
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
. There is a new timestretch algorithm in 5.5 but you can't expect a major overhaul like that in a free .5 update.

The algorithm is from Zplane for solo instruments / voices.
It's the makers of Elastic Audio.
And the same algo as Variaudio timewarp...
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Since the upgrade, this new oddity happens: If I open any project containing a one-track stereo master mix, delete the old track and import a new track to replace it...it has no sound. I need to save the file, close it and reopen it before it will play back sound.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Addict
On my 2 different systems doesn't have that problem...

Maybe it's a plug-in problem.
Old 29th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post

I am 5.5. No problems so far, except the contrast of the graphics... :( that sux
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post

Maybe...but if so, it's a plug-in problem that didn't affect the previous version.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Head

well have you noticed they removed the mix slider for REVerence? I also hate the change of graphics and colors. Its a shock to the system.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Head

I'm really enjoying the new Cubase update! Been mixing an ep and writing some midi based tracks and so far it's been stable and slick. Still not the best at low latencies (I'm on a core i7 macbook pro), but I'm still using it when Logic and Ableton are available to me.

I love Cubase! I just get ideas down so much quicker than with any other DAW.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Addict

lol...

I'm still on Cubase 4.5. Works like a charm. The plan was to wait for about a year from the v.5 release, then upgrade - when all bugs would be gone-. Looks like I'm gonna wait some more heh

Cheers!

FS: PSP sQuad for $120. See the classifieds.
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Addict

I have been a Cubase user for many years now. Very disapointed in 5.5. I don't know who is leading their development team but so many issues and features needed to make music just don't get done. Instead they spend time changing the look and feel of the interface. Why? Because it is a distraction from the real work

Change the look of the interface so it looks like we done something important.

Staying on 5.1.1. Everything works. The bugs that are there I can live with.

G
Old 1st July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

The bugs are pretty much the same on 5.1.1 give or take a couple of minor things such as the wet/dry thing with Reverence (most of us always keep sends 100% wet anyway) which will hopefully be addressed in a hotfix (given Cubase's history, no release ever ended .0, so there should be at least a 5.5.1 hotfix).

The advantages brought about by 5.5 such as zoom wheel scrolling, massive improvement in reducing Revernence's CPU load, the new timestretch algorithm, improved Groove Agent One (yes, I have other drum vsts which I like better, but for quickly putting a beat together from scratch the improvements do help), automation panel enhancements etc are worth installing 5.5 IMHO.

Of course, you are free to think and act otherwise, but I am also a Cubase user since Atari ST days on PC at home and I like this update. The new GUI fonts work out really great on my system too and media bay looks much better, although I think they should have had the option to retain the 'classic' look as a preference for those who disagree.
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

I am running Cubase 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7 and now none of my VST instruments will load into Cubase. All my Kontact and BFD2 tracks won't appear. I tried reinstalling Kontact and BFD2 and resetting the plugin paths and folders etc and nothing has worked so far. I am screwed mid project.

Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
Cubase/Nuendo playback engine sounds different than the Bounce/Mixdown engine.
Bounce engine better sound, but you mix
LOL! I wonder how it comes that people keep spreading these myths, especially in case they can be busted all too easily?

- Sascha
Old 1st July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
LOL! I wonder how it comes that people keep spreading these myths, especially in case they can be busted all too easily?

- Sascha

Definitely not a problem nowadays but back in the Cubase VST days it most assuredly was. I used to have to record my mixbuss live as it sounded noticeable crappier in a offline bounce. Even my layman wife would ask why it sounded crappier than it did.
Old 2nd July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Lots of people have solved the 'disappearing' VST problem by disabling UAC and then running Cubase as an administrator. This is a quirk of vista and win 7, not Cubase !
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lots of people have solved the 'disappearing' VST problem by disabling UAC and then running Cubase as an administrator. This is a quirk of vista and win 7, not Cubase !
Thanks so much for this info! I will try it tomorrow. I have been freaking over this big time. I even considered hooking up my Pro Tools system and transferring everything over which would have sucked big time. I can't live without my virtual instruments.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi what is UAC and how do I disable it?
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are the man! I have both Kontakt 4 and BFD2 running in Cubase 5.5 64 bit on Windows 7. It still crashes every time a close a project though.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi what is UAC and how do I disable it?

This is what Google gave me.

Disable User Account Control in Windows Vista
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I am screwed mid project.

That sucks. Lesson learned....you should get into the habbit of NOT updating ANYTHING in a DAW mid project.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
That sucks. Lesson learned....you should get into the habbit of NOT updating ANYTHING in a DAW mid project.
You should get in the habit of not updating anything unless

a) something isn't working right

AND (not or)

b) everyone agrees that the update is a good thing (flawless installation + useful changes + no new bugs).

I'm still working with Cubase 5.1 and it has been nothing but smooth sailing since last summer.

Edit: sorry, that Cubase 5.0.1 - not 5.1
Old 2nd July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

On a different note - there could be an issue between BFD2 and 64 bit Cubase 5.5, several people on the CB forum have mentioned difficulties of varying levels with BFD2, from not working full stop to certain things not working but having the basic functionality, some are saying it is now not working with j-bridge, etc, etc.

So I think that is an issue the developer and Steinberg need to liase on.
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.5. Do so at your own peril. 5.1.1 rocked. 5.5 is buggy as hell go to Cubase.net and look they know it. I am doing a full reinstall now through acronis. It deleted my soundcard drivers which I couldn't fix and am hoping this will fix it. It won't open some old songs from previous versions, some 3rd part VST will not work. Cubase freezes up on and off. Some ppl noticing ASIO spiking.

They have **** QC. I have used Cubase since 99 also btw.
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

It all depends on your computer and what software you use. With Windows XP 32 bit on my Dell computer all my Uad and Waves (version 7) plug INS as well as BFD (version 1) work with no problem.
Old 8th July 2010
Gear Nut

Running without any troubles whatsoever on my PC (XPprofSP2) all my plugs work, all projects open.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search