The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5.5 DAW Software
Old 26th June 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

Steinberg said for ages that they were going to introduce the new forum, my betting is they are working on replacing the forum, this or they have a temporary glitch.
Old 26th June 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Steinberg said for ages that they were going to introduce the new forum, my betting is they are working on replacing the forum, this or they have a temporary glitch.
Yep,. Glitch 5.5
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

It's part of the 5.5 experience heh
Old 26th June 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Anyone know how to assign the F1-F12 keys to the Cubase functions? For somereason, I think it's a Mac thing but they just are not working. I have OSX 10.5.6.

Also, anyone notice the F12 text missing from the drop down menu?
Its a Expose or Spaces problem I think. Go in there and disable those keys and your issue will go away

F12 should bring up the Performance Monitor
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
EXCELLENT FINDS! Can anyone confirm that duplicating Group and FX tracks is something new to the 5.5 update? I never checked in previous versions, but I thought you could always do this?

The big Pan window, though not necessary at all is neat and interesting to see. I can only imagine how you came across this. I would never have double clicked there to find out. It is not mentioned in the PDF that came with 5.5 either. Are you sure this larger pan window wasn't available in versions prior to 5.5?

No, this is new to 5.5
Old 26th June 2010
Gear Nut

hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
It's part of the 5.5 experience heh

lol thumbsup
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

LOL this thread is becoming
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
LOL this thread is becoming

So true! If only we could go back to the values and noble sense of ethics we once embraced in the first 10 pages of this thread. Ah, the good old days...whatever became of them?
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Its a Expose or Spaces problem I think. Go in there and disable those keys and your issue will go away

F12 should bring up the Performance Monitor
Hi

Yes it all works now. Thanks. Cubase is flying.
Not even snow Leopard here. Seriously, it is so much quicker on a Mac Pro. Not sure why there are alot of issues, but I am starting to think Steinberg have generally delivered with this one and that's all that matters. Will keep updating with when I am doing more work.

Here is a preview of a Cubase produced song I recently did. Atleast we can now get back on track...lol
YouTube - Kaya Teaser

I have to tell ya. THe artist did not care if it was Cubase version 5 or other..lol. At the end of the day, it's all about doing away with what we can afford at the time.
Old 27th June 2010
I just found the big Pan window by accident today when I was messing around with panning on some toms. I guess you have to double click on the panner to get the big window.
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Head

hey all

great forum here

since cubase.net has been down for a few days, i will ask here. Since i have updated to 5.5, i get no sound when files are playing in the mediabay.

any ideas?
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpo72 View Post
hey all

great forum here

since cubase.net has been down for a few days, i will ask here. Since i have updated to 5.5, i get no sound when files are playing in the mediabay.

any ideas?
I noticed the same, it's probably some setting, or at least, let's hope so
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Check under: Devices / VST Connections / Studio Tab, and make sure you have your audio device and device ports set correctly. The update changed mine and I had to reset them.
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
Check under: Devices / VST Connections / Studio Tab, and make sure you have your audio device and device ports set correctly. The update changed mine and I had to reset them.
cheers for the quick response, that worked a treat.

many thanks, Higgs
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

No problem, and welcome to GS!
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Addict

Sorry, i misread as ruler, I was hoping for both in the ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovani View Post
just click on the note icon next to one of the transportbar`s beatcounters and change it to seconds or whatever you like.
there are two counters in the transportbar ( first and secondary ), you can individually assign them to different time formats and swop their tasks with the double-arrow icon that is between them.
this was possible way before 5.5

cubase also has an independent timedisplay ( to be found under "devices" ) which is a resizable floating window.

hello to gearslutz! ...still on 5.1.1 though for obvious reasons

Old 27th June 2010

I tried out 5.5 update.

Mmmmmh. Well it all went smoothly no obvious problems but my DSP cards have become less stable.

I use a Powercore 6000 and 1x Express card now when you over fill the cards
Cubase 5.5 locks up and crashes, on 5.1.1 Powercore would launch the Plugin Messenger telling you to disable a plugin now in C5.5 it just hangs the whole program!

Also my UAD2 Quad and 2x UAD-1 are getting ASIO spikes when loaded to 90%+, again not a problem in C5.1.1.

I have reverted back to C5.1.1 as it was the most stable DAW using DSP I have ever had to date, I can load ALL my DSP to the max and things remain rock solid.

As for the other changes in C5.5 .... personally I hate the new font, it's too fuzzy for my 47 year old eyes, now I have to wear my glasses to use Cubase before I didn't have to.

I really really HATE the new marker tabs, it makes the markers look like "accounting software" with tabs for different expenses ... mega YUK!!

Animated inspector .... WHY?

Oh well, not all progress is progress for everyone .... sigh ,back to 5.1.1

Best
Trebor
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Think I'll hold off for 5.5.1 and stick to 5.1.1 for now.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

I've stuck by Cubase and defended Steinberg for 11 years now. But I think I'm at the point where patience has worn thin and confidence is gone. They did not fix the MIDI bug with WordBuilder for Symphonic Choirs that they admitted was a Cubase problem (works fine in 4.5.2) and they STILL haven't fixed the problems with Rewire. This makes it utterly useless for many people.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Most likely a glitch, probably won't be up till after the weekend.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

F**k off Steinberg

Most users had high expectations from this update. However, many key issues (e.g. the fact that time-stretch sucks balls) have not been addressed, yet there was time to animate the inspector (now we have to wait a few more milliseconds when changing pages...), or to update LoopMash (which nobody asked for in the first place, and which nobody uses). Instead of adding all that cosmetic rubbish that nobody needs, at the very least they could have brought forward the release date for 5.5.

Eyecandy is not a deal-breaker for new users: workflow and reliability are. I recently started looking for a new DAW and eyecandy was definitely the last thing on my checklist (in fact it was not on my checklist at all!). An ugly GUI is great for me if the software works!

If they had only fixed one issue, just one, and done nothing else, I'd say fair play, the Steinberg guys have released an update that has definitely made things better. But wasting time on cosmetic crap while half the features are riddled with bugs is totally unacceptable. All in all 5.5 has been yet another coat of Steinberg's old paint. Do they think we are stupid? Do they think that the eyecandy will divert our attention from the real problems? This drives me up the wall. Imagine not being able to save your projects because of a bug. Every user is affected. Six months later Steinberg releses an update which only includes a cosmetic update for LoopMash. How would this make you feel? Personally I feel deliberately cheated and insulted. This was the last straw for me.

Anyway, I am using Presonus Studio One now and getting excellent results. Among Studio One devs are some Steinberg ex-devs. These guys were probably fed up with being told to keep adding new features while the bugs remained unfixed, and probably decided that they'd had enough of Steinberg, so they changed jobs. This is because for any software engineer IT IS UNETHICAL AND WRONG TO NOT FIX BUGS AND FOCUS ON NEW FEATURES.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
As for the other changes in C5.5 .... personally I hate the new font, it's too fuzzy to my 47 year old eyes, now I have to wwar my glasses to use Cubase before I didn't have to.
If and when you try 5.5 or later, try tweaking the Clear Type settings. At first, I had no joy doing this as it would make the bold n/ blurry stuff look better at the expense of the regular font.

In the Clear Type wizard, there are 4 pages with multiple choices per page (over 300 combinations) and I finally found one that was acceptable both within Cubase and outside of Cubase as well.

It's not ideal, and I still hope they do something about the fonts, but I have gotten it to the point where I do not get a headache from looking at it for hours.

Perhaps something for you or others to try.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
If and when you try 5.5 or later, try tweaking the Clear Type settings. At first, I had no joy doing this as it would make the bold n/ blurry stuff look better at the expense of the regular font.

In the Clear Type wizard, there are 4 pages with multiple choices per page (over 300 combinations) and I finally found one that was acceptable both within Cubase and outside of Cubase as well.

It's not ideal, and I still hope they do something about the fonts, but I have gotten it to the point where I do not get a headache from looking at it for hours.

Perhaps something for you or others to try.
The fonts were fine before. Why they decided to waste valuable time on making Cubase worse is beyond my understanding. Now we have to tweak fonts instead of focus on making music.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Anyway, I am using Presonus Studio One now and getting excellent results. .
Good for you bro,so maybe it's time for you to stop polluting Cubase threads??
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Good for you bro,so maybe it's time for you to stop polluting Cubase threads??
Cubase 5.5 is the best update ever. It makes Cubase so much better! I am finally a happy user. Thank you so much Steinberg!! You are the best. All my needs have finally been fulfilled. The new animated inspector is a godsend, not to mention the revamped LoopMash interface (this one was top of my wish list). Also, thanks to the new fonts I can finally produce better sounding music. It really has been worth the wait.
Old 27th June 2010
Tried the new update and reverted back to 5.1 - It diminished my touchscreen capabilities (cant drag events with my finger anymore) and the new look is more cluttered now. Not to mention the pathetic animation. Start making video games instead of music soft Steinberg!
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Cubase 5.5 is the best update ever. It makes Cubase so much better! I am finally a happy user. Thank you so much Steinberg!! You are the best. All my needs have finally been fulfilled. The new animated inspector is a godsend, not to mention the revamped LoopMash interface (this one was top of my wish list). Also, thanks to the new fonts I can finally produce better sounding music. It really has been worth the wait.
What is your wish list? I suspect it differs hugely from mine.

I installed 5.5 a few days ago, and so far it has been working great. Everything loads faster, only thing I could complain about so far are the new fonts. I know it's because I'm used to the old ones, but the track names are now shortened the same way as in Pro Tools.

There are bugs and there are bugs. Every DAW has 'em (Logic 9 anyone?) I've read some people who've said they'll stick with 5.1.1 for now. However, it's a bit ironic that some of the same users said the same thing about 5.1.1 --"I'll stick with 5.0.1" -- yet they seem to upgrade every time -even if "the earlier version worked so much better"..
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
What is your wish list? I suspect it differs hugely from mine.

I installed 5.5 a few days ago, and so far it has been working great. Everything loads faster, only thing I could complain about so far are the new fonts. I know it's because I'm used to the old ones, but the track names are now shortened the same way as in Pro Tools.

There are bugs and there are bugs. Every DAW has 'em (Logic 9 anyone?) I've read some people who've said they'll stick with 5.1.1 for now. However, it's a bit ironic that some of the same users said the same thing about 5.1.1 --"I'll stick with 5.0.1" -- yet they seem to upgrade every time -even if "the earlier version worked so much better"..
I agree that there is a lot of goodness packed in 5.5 and things are working smoothly and actually a lot faster, and that every piece of software has bugs, but my beef with this update is that a lot of effort has gone into improving looks rather than workflow; in fact the workflow has hardly improved!

By contrast, Presonus Studio One has very few bugs (I am yet to encounter one), the interface enables me to work extremely fast and does exactly what it says on the tin. The only annoyances about S1 are missing features rather than poorly implemented features. I have more faith in Presonus adding those missing features than Steinberg fixing a few bugs.

My main wish list is:
  • MDI windows suck balls, everyone agrees about this one. It's like browsing the web without a pop-up blocker.
  • No undo plugin parameter tweak? WTF?
  • No undo mixer parameter tweak? ditto
  • Last tweaked parameter should appear at the top of parameter automation selection drop-down list instead of having to browse for it.
  • Time stretch messes up audio when tempo reduced, while other DAWs can still produce usable results at similar tempo reductions.
  • Ability to rename plugins and ability to arrange VST3 plugins as **I** please.
Some minor issues I can live with but hope could be addressed...
  • Quick Controls soft takeover?
  • Consistent UI (e.g. why can I set the VST Instruments panel to always on top but not the Rewire panels which look the same?)
  • Mixer chanel input knobs cannot be turned once they reach -infinity
  • Automation curves get corrupted when pencil (and other) tool crosshair passes over them
  • Sidechaining could be more intutive e.g. REAPER or Studio One
Plus...
  • Steinberg do not acknowledge user feedback (this is my conclusion since some of the above issues have previously been discussed on cubase.net but instead we got a LoopMash update, new fonts and an animated inspector).
  • Many old bugs are brushed under the carpet while while new unnecessary features continue to be added.
  • Useful features that paying users request are not added but unnecessary features that nobody asked for are added.
  • The software workflow does not feel like it's designed to encourage an easy workflow, I always feel like I have to trick the software into doing what I want it to do
Old 27th June 2010
Deleted User
Lets all calm down and check the forums at cubase.net

Oh thats right the site is down LOL

I JUST got C5 loaded up and updated about 30min before the crash.

This is the NEW STEINBERG, haha
Old 27th June 2010

Quote:
By contrast, Presonus Studio One has very few bugs
Well that's a good thing, definately, as you use Studio One.

That's the bit, I'm confused about, you use Studio One and your really happy with it (which is good to hear)

Why are you talking about Cubase 5.5 which you don't use and clearly don't like (which is also more than fair enough) you have me .

Your posts appear more baffling to me than Steinbergs decision to animate the Inspector Panel :-)

Best
Treeb's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search