The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5 stabilitly / reliability? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cubase 5 stabilitly / reliability?

Hi,

How stable / reliable is the latest version of Cubase 5 on PC?

I'm thinking of upgrading from SX3.1 but have held off due to hearing some major stability issues. Some of my mates decided to sell Cubase 5 and have moved over to either Logic or PT.

There guys were obviously all on MAC. How stable is Cubase 5 on PC?
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Very reliable and stable on my system (XP 32 bit). I don't think I've had a single crash since I properly installed it in August.

Mind you, I haven't updated to 5.1 yet (still on 5.0.1), there still seem to be some problems with that version.

It's a great product and it's very pleasant to work with.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Very stable. 5.0, 5.01 and now 5.1 are all stable on my rig.
5.0 had some minor issues with variaudio in heavy session and they fixed something about reverence in one of the updates but that never bothered me.

Below this post will be several people having problems with C5, but I haven't.

(info that may be relevant: I do 95% audio, almost no samples/vsti's. Q6600, Asus P5W DH Del, 2Gb ram, UAD-1 and 2, ssl madi card, WinXP, projects around 50-80tracks at 88kHz)

Herwig
Old 27th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

I upgraded from SX3.1 to Cubase 5 and it is running superbly on my machine, which is a Core2Duo laptop running Vista Ultimate 32 SP2 and 4 GB ram. Only had a couple of minor crashes and both times the backup restored perfectly. (the Cubase .bak file)

It's really worth upgrading IMHO, so many excellent extra features, Variaudio and Reverence are killer new features, but smaller GUI improvements such as having Tempo Track/Timing Meter available on the arrange view (no more ctrl+t and seperate windows for me, but that option remains), automation panel from Nuendo, draggable inserts (actually added in C4 and other C4 additions such as sidechaining with vst3 plugins etc). Groove Agent One is a much better and handier device than LM7 in SX3 and there's some reasonable sound content for use with Halion One too.

All in all, an excellent upgrade and working very well. It also worked well on my former win XP 32 SP3 laptop which unfortunately expired a few months back.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading from SX3.1 but have held off due to hearing some major stability issues. Some of my mates decided to sell Cubase 5 and have moved over to either Logic or PT.
Well, don't lsten to your mates in this case!
Just do it. Imho Cubase 5 is a much better and more stable program than any SX version.
I think you'll find it a big improvement.

Cheers

Phaidon
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Addict

Great program ,very stable ,I am running C5 on OSX with symphony,also sometimes on macbook pro under bootcamp -vista- RME FF 800 works great.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

C5 on Win XP - very stable here.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
C5 on Win XP - very stable here.
Ditto - rock solid.

I also run Logic 8 on an iMac - although I hate to admit it, C5 on my PC workstation wins on stability

TMY
Old 27th November 2009
NL5
Lives for gear

Running Cubase 5.1 (32) on Win7x64 - super stable. just a few glitches that will hopefully be fixed soon. Mainly real-time export. I just use TapeIt though, so it really is not a huge problem.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
Running Cubase 5.1 (32) on Win7x64 - super stable. just a few glitches that will hopefully be fixed soon. Mainly real-time export. I just use TapeIt though, so it really is not a huge problem.
Same here!
Running Cubase 5.1 on Windows 7x64 and it's super smooth.
I like the look of the interface, which is smoother and cleaner than SX3.

I haven't run into any problems at all even though Stein doesn't officially support Windows 7x64.

What kind of real time export problems are you encountering?

TIA!!
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

with stupid bugs like windows resizing and other random glictchs in the code, i am not a favour of SB no more yet i own cubase 5 as it integrates with my mixer really well.

so many bugs labelled as features, locked workspaces that randomly change positions is my most hated bug thats beeen on the programe since i started using cubase sx on pc.

this will be my final purchase of cubase , as the more they mess with the protection the more the hackers mess to crack it.

im fed up with dongles when now more then half of the user base got it for free.

along with the fact that it steals cpu cycles, if they dont redesign the engine to fix all flaws in cubase 5 and try and force feed me 6 im going to presonus and picking up studio one, (made by former steinberg staff).

im also sick and tired of there official forums and how threads that make valid points closed down without hesitation and users being banned.

Chris B. if you dont rid cubase of all bugs in version 5 i will never pay money towards another steinberg product again.

i was one of the first to upgrade from 4 and it was so bad that i was still using 4.5 even though i had 5 until 5.1 come out, now there supposedly patching for win7 compatitbility but my guess is there not gonna do much as in bug fixing just give the hackers another challenge.
Old 29th November 2009
NL5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Same here!
Running Cubase 5.1 on Windows 7x64 and it's super smooth.
I like the look of the interface, which is smoother and cleaner than SX3.

I haven't run into any problems at all even though Stein doesn't officially support Windows 7x64.

What kind of real time export problems are you encountering?

TIA!!

Disk or CPU error.

It's a known "feature" of Cubase. I just use SilverSpike's TapeIt, and realtime exports are easy......
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
with stupid bugs like windows resizing and other random glictchs in the code

Chris B. if you dont rid cubase of all bugs in version 5 i will never pay money towards another steinberg product again.

i was one of the first to upgrade from 4 and it was so bad that i was still using 4.5 even though i had 5 until 5.1 come out, now there supposedly patching for win7 compatitbility but my guess is there not gonna do much as in bug fixing just give the hackers another challenge.
So why did you upgrade to Win 7 and C5 in the first place? Win 7 is not yet an officially supported OS for C5. You're just asking for trouble with that setup.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
Disk or CPU error.

It's a known "feature" of Cubase. I just use SilverSpike's TapeIt, and realtime exports are easy......
I must be one of the lucky souls to not have this problem.
Seems a lot of people are complaining though so it's definitely a problem.
Hopefully I haven't pissed off the Steinberg gremlins so now I get to see this bug as well !!

This is probably my last SB product though, mostly because of the same reasons Wiseg states.

How does Presonous One run under Windows 7 x64?
It looks like it has a lot of potential.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
So why did you upgrade to Win 7 and C5 in the first place? Win 7 is not yet an officially supported OS for C5. You're just asking for trouble with that setup.
sx3 and cubase 4.5 were working fine on my win 7 setup.
Btw windows 7 is by far the best windows in 10 years.

its due to the fact , cubase5 when first released had alot of bugs and i was using 4 while some of the most noticable ones were ironed out.

regarding steinberg as a whole they havent even correctly got cubase utilizing multiprocessors correctly (dualcore/quad{hyper threading seen as 8 cores})

from one let down to another, this next update i will see what happens but the thing that makes me most angry is there denial of many things eg windows resizing even when locked is a @[email protected]

even there 32bit bridge for 64bit cubase 5 , does not work like advertised and renders the 64bit version useless.

if they decide to make war on the hackers then they will lose my custom altogether, as they purchased the anti-piracy company that made the protection recently and i guess many of the apps using elisenser will be filling for somesort of compensation and they are taking a big hit.

either make us the paying user a priority or many will go elsewhere, drop the stupid protection and make a clean daw with less bloat , and bug free.

i will no way update to cubase 6 for them to address issues, no way will i fall for that trap again.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
sx3 and cubase 4.5 were working fine on my win 7 setup.

its due to the fact 5 when first released had alot of bugs and i was using 4 while some of the most noticable ones were ironed out.
Doesn't make much sense to me. SX3 on Win 7, C4 on win 7, C5 on win 7...
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

look i dont know about you but you seem to not know what you are on about,

as a cubase 5 owner i have licenses for all legacy products, what are you trying to indicate?

having them on my computer is because of all the reason i stated before, cubase 4 was stable 5 was unstable and trying to open older cubase files in 4 or 5 was riddled full of complications, so i installed sx3 so i can open up older cubase projects sucessfully.

please speak from experience

being a mr816 owner you already know about the inbuilt limitations of your deivce if not go and read and then go read the write up on it and how it was advertised.
then tell me the limitations are @[email protected]
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

I hang out at the Cubase Forum. From what I gather, C5 is one of the best versions they've ever released. What some people call bugs I personally find to be very minor issues ( like the infamous Mute/Solo "bug" in Cubase 4 which required one to bend over backwards in order to replicate).
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
look i dont know about you but you seem to not know what you are on about,

as a cubase 5 owner i have licenses for all legacy products, what are you trying to indicate?

having them on my computer is because of all the reason i stated before, cubase 4 was stable 5 was unstable and trying to open older cubase files in 4 or 5 was riddled full of complications, so i installed sx3 so i can open up older cubase projects sucessfully.

please speak from experience

being a mr816 owner you already know about the inbuilt limitations of your deivce if not go and read and then go read the write up on it and how it was advertised.
then tell me the limitations are @[email protected]
Well, my point was that you seemed to complain about "bugs" on a setup which is still completely unsupported. C4, C5, doesn't really matter if you got lucky the first time since they're both unsupported. You were talking from experience, right?

P.S. I think there's no need for me to read any "write ups" on any piece of gear I use everyday - well, at least not when they're from some young trigger-happy hobbyist who just regurgitates everything he's assimilated during the trash threads course he decided to attend to (-after unsuccessfully trying to solve some simple problems he encountered, which were, with 90% probability, either related to unwise planning or just plain user errors to begin with)

All I'm saying is that they're out there all right
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies!

Would I still be able to open Cubase SX3.1 songs in Cubase 5?
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

to the op you get all legacy products with your cubase 5 license, opeing a sx project in cubase 5 is troublesome , some projects work others will cause you problems/crash's etc.
Old 30th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'm running C5 on vista ultimate 64bit - very stable indeed. Considering what I'm doing with it I'm amazed that it hasn't crashed in any way.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
opeing a sx project in cubase 5 is troublesome , some projects work others will cause you problems/crash's etc.
FWIW: I haven't found that to be the case, and I regularly open old SX1 files in C5. I choose "overwrite" when prompted and subsequently the projects never give me any grief.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
FWIW: I haven't found that to be the case, and I regularly open old SX1 files in C5. I choose "overwrite" when prompted and subsequently the projects never give me any grief.

thats a great method to render your projects incompatible with earlier and more relible cubase versions.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thats a great method to render your projects incompatible with earlier and more relible cubase versions.

And if you OWN C5 why would you after opening an old SX3 project and resaving it as a C5 file want to then have it useable in SX3 with half the feature set?

You make no sense, Wiseg. As My signature taken from your ramblings in the Yamaha N12 thread(most of which you went back and deleted) suggest, you should take your own advice. tutt

I've been with SB since the cubasis days through VST24, SX1, SX2, SX3, cubase studio 4 and finaly Cubase 5.1. C5 is by far the most stable of the cubase family and where I've had hardware related problems with my Yamaha N12 this is in now way the fault of SB.

I find C5 to be rock solid, I've never had a crash or a lockup with it. As mentioned some of the reported "bugs" are infact just a change in the feature set and if you RTFM you will realise that some tasks performed with earlier versions are now handled differently to enhance the workflow within the program. I never could reproduce the mute solo bug and I've never had a problem with window sizes

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones or, one of the sensible ones running SB software on a SUPPORTED OS thumbsup

One thing I CAN relate to is their poor customer support, but with such a large influx of idiots into home recording that couldn't read a manual or use the search feature on a website to save their lives, you can't really blame them for being slow to answer support questions from dedicated users.
Old 30th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

I don't get why people are concerned about the dongle or copyright issues. In one breath you state you're mad because they bought syncrosoft, in the other you're mad that people use hacked versions - most confusing. Without the copyright, you can be damned sure that more like 85-90% of people using the software will be running pirate versions. If you are now against copyright protection, that will put other software out of your reach too, such as PT M-Powered, Samplitude, Pyramix and a ton of plugins on i-lok or syncrosoft.

The pirates were kept out for the best part of 2 years and the CB forum is still for registered users only. The dongle was starting to be a bit of a resource nuisance for a time in SX3, but nowadays barely uses any load and makes far fewer calls, on a quad core system this equates to less than a drop in the ocean, so no need to big it up into something major - it's a piddling little nothing of an issue.

I've ran Cubase since SX1 (and had it on the Atari ST before this) and there have been problems and bugs over the years, but Cubase 5 is the most stable version I've ever ran. The real-time export thing is an issue because quite a few people have called this out on the forums, but I can tell you that on both my (now expired) P4 laptop and now on my dual core desktop and laptop, I have not personally experienced it. The windows issue seems to bug some people more than another, although I wish that lock would LOCK, because I agree it does sometimes unlock at random times, but it's a minor annoyance. I had no problems using any SX3 projects in C5, the only issue was some of the SX3 plugins weren't available until I downloaded the legacy plugins from Steinberg (i.e. Magneto and some of the plugins were moved up to VST3 from VST 2) and they worked fine as soon as I put those into the VST 2.xx folder.

BTW - if you're serious about not upgrading then don't. One thing which really grinds my gears is the same people whining about Cubase and how mean and horrible and poor customer sevice they are and how they're not going to EVER upgrade or buy another thing, some of those people have been saying this since SX1 and keep on saying it year after year after year yet still buy the upgrades and frankly, it wears thin. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and your feet and choose something else !!! I think that some of these people wouldn't have a life if they didn't have Cubase to moan about
Old 30th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

How stable / reliable is the latest version of Cubase 5 on PC?

There guys were obviously all on MAC. How stable is Cubase 5 on PC?

I use it everyday for work. I use it to make 100% of my living as a composer/producer. Most of my workflow is VSTi's and some recording of guitars and VO. Most of the time it is vst based so this is where my opinion will be formed from.

I use it on a Bootcamp machine Mac Pro Xeon 2.66 4 gig ram Windows XP sp3. Latest cubase install. I love it. It works flawlessly.

but:

Lately Ive been trying to move on to OS X for all my audio work and ditching all my PC-only-plugins and work methods. The reason is not because of Cubase. Its windows! I am sick of working in Windows XP and all of its weird problems.

I think cubase on OS X is similar as on XP. For recording its 100% on par, but for alot of plugins and VSTi, it crashes "more often" (in my experience on the same machine) when the project gets deeper stacking up more vsti's. I dont know why. These crashes could be because of the project itself, lots of layers of synths etc...

For the record, in OS X:
-Midi keyboard latency is way lower and stays low even if i have more plugins in alot of tracks compared to same projects in XP.

-Operating system interface in OS X has perks. For example QUICKLOOK for mac, (hit spacebar to preview any file from finder. This is so great for looking up samples, collecting a kit, going about in your daily ****.) Lots of things to like about OS X.
Old 30th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Would I still be able to open Cubase SX3.1 songs in Cubase 5?

yes
Old 30th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

One last piece of advice - don't delete Cubase SX3 before you install C5. 2 reasons.

1) Just in case you should experience any issues with C5.

2) Some plugins in SX3 have been updated to VST3 versions in Cubase 5 such as Double Delay etc. So it's quicker and easier to copy these over from the SX3 plugin folder to the folder marked VST 2.xx in Cubase 5 to ensure compatibility with projects in SX3. Also - the A1 synth is not available as part of the legacy plugins folder you can download from Steinberg, due to rights issues as it was licensed from a 3rd party. So although the vast majority of SX3's plugins can be downloaded from Steinberg's FTP site in the 'legacy plugins' folder, A1 is not available.

Also ** If you load an SX3 project into C5, make sure when you save it you give it a different name ** , i.e. the SX3 project is called 'memories' call the Cubase 5 project 'memories C5' or whatever, otherwise you will not be able to load the project back into SX3 if you should need to.

Trust me, moving from SX3 to C5 is a really worthwhile move IMHO.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you have no clue on what your on about, but your scotish and a hobbist that does music on the weekends, so dont speak.

sx3 was by far the most stable cubase.

Do not listen to this gimp as his myspace indicates, he has no impact on the trade and is simply a hobbist with more free time on his hands located in the scotish highlands where there are no social activities.

where you typing from son ?

You located on a sheep farm?

i have seen your pathetic threads on the cubase.net forums

you were the same guy that was having clicks and pops for well over a year until you did what i suggested and upped the sample rate to 88.2khz you pussyhole.

dfegad

so next time come correct farm boy.

There's no place for racism on this site full stop. tutt

My whereabouts, social activities and personal life have nothing to do with anything here in this thread or on this forum. From your 51 posts on this site 90% of them have been missinformation or rude remarks/personal attacks.

I've never EVER had clicks or pops, what I did have was my FW connection dropping on occassion to my N12. I solved this with a video card driver update and a reshuffle of IRQs. When the dropouts stopped I moved the sample rate back to 44.1 and have encountered no problems since.

I'm sharing my knowledge here as a user of steinberg software for 10+ years and hobbyist or not, I've been at it for 20 years cutting my teeth on ½" 8 track way back when. I don't come here to quarrel, just to expand my own knowledge base and when I can, share the drop in the ocean that I do know when people ask for it.

For someone like yourself to come on here while running Cubase 5 with a Yamaha N12 on windows 7, neither of which are supported on that OS as yet and tell people Cubase 5 isn't stable is a laugh and a joke. I'm sure the good people here will realise this and take everything you say as I do....with a pinch of salt.

Back to the regular programming

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search