The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5 stabilitly / reliability? DAW Software
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
Trust me, moving from SX3 to C5 is a really worthwhile move IMHO.
Yup - that's probably the bottom line for the OP, and while there will always be a few wiseguys here n there, I think it's safe to say Cubase 5 is generally very stable
Old 1st December 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

I have a quick question about CB5 (I just upgraded yesterday.)

I noticed that whenever I pull up a native plug, or instrument, when I click on "load preset" it's always blank? Did I miss something during the install maybe? I never had this problem with CB4 and don't recall taking any extra steps to ensure presets were present. I'm on a MacPro Quad and MBP

Any help would be appreciated

Other than that, it seems to be running OK. One thing I noticed was how much faster the program loads. Like 5x's faster!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I have a quick question about CB5 (I just upgraded yesterday.)

I noticed that whenever I pull up a native plug, or instrument, when I click on "load preset" it's always blank? !
I think you're talking about the empty folder for your saved presets located to the right of the regular "factory" presets.
To the left the "factory" presets are visible there.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post

im fed up with dongles when now more then half of the user base got it for free.

along with the fact that it steals cpu cycles
This is a myth, it has virtually no impact on system performance whatsoever. In fact I remember when I had SX3, as a test I pulled the dongle out completely after cubase loaded and it ran for some time before requesting for a dongle to be put back in, it doesn't even poll the thing very often!.

Quote:
regarding steinberg as a whole they havent even correctly got cubase utilizing multiprocessors correctly (dualcore/quad{hyper threading seen as 8 cores})
Well, running core i7 PC, it seems to share the load of different channels over different cores well enough, no problems here.

Quote:
to the op you get all legacy products with your cubase 5 license, opeing a sx project in cubase 5 is troublesome , some projects work others will cause you problems/crash's etc.
Have loaded 90 track SX3 projects into Cubase 5, no problems so far. Am starting to suspect there must be a specific PC setup issue with your DAW thats causing all these wierd problems with Cubase 5...

But for me and everyone I know thats made the switch, C5 seems to be pretty stable. I skipped upgrading to Cubase 4 because I too was worried about stability issues at the time, but I'm glad I finally made the jump up from SX3 to C5
Old 2nd December 2009
Here for the gear

I moved from Cubase SX3 to Cubase 5.01, and to be honest I've noticed some random crashes when opnening/using third party plugins and virtual instruments I own.
Cubase SX3 was a true workhorse imho. Hope C5 will fix all the issues with real updates, as it have marvelous features.

And I'm on Windows XP Pro, SP3.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm on exactly the same setup (Win XP Pro SP 3, Cubase 5.0.1) and have not experienced any crashes for 6+ months. The following 3rd party VSTi's / FX are used quite heavily here:

- Waves Platinum Bundle
- Waves SSL Bundle
- Waves GTR
- Propellerhead Reason
- NI (Native Instruments) Guitar Rig
- NI Absynth 4
- NI Akoustik Piano
- NI Kontakt
- East West Symphony Orchestra Gold
- Nomad Factory stuff (don't remember the names)
- Image Line FL Studio 8
- Steven Slate Drums (just got 'em but have worked fine)
- Various freeware from Voxengo, Blue Cat, Bootsie, LePou, etc

We've been through some pretty heavy sessions and frankly I've almost been expecting a crash at some point, but no.
Old 2nd December 2009
Here for the gear

I see... I had crashes with this software:

- Bootsy plugins (density mkII)
- Spectrasonics Stylus RMX 1.7
- Guitar Rig 3 Lite LE
- Motu Machfive 2
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Have you tried upgrading to latest version, 5.1 instead of 5.01?.

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - Cubase/Cubase Studio 5.1 Updates Available
Old 2nd December 2009
Here for the gear

I tried some time ago, but always get an error message that warns about the software is missing or version of the patch is wrong. I should write to Steinberg about that.
Old 3rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Moving 3rd Party VSTs

Quote:
One last piece of advice - don't delete Cubase SX3 before you install C5. 2 reasons.

1) Just in case you should experience any issues with C5.

2) Some plugins in SX3 have been updated to VST3 versions in Cubase 5 such as Double Delay etc. So it's quicker and easier to copy these over from the SX3 plugin folder to the folder marked VST 2.xx in Cubase 5 to ensure compatibility with projects in SX3. Also - the A1 synth is not available as part of the legacy plugins folder you can download from Steinberg, due to rights issues as it was licensed from a 3rd party. So although the vast majority of SX3's plugins can be downloaded from Steinberg's FTP site in the 'legacy plugins' folder, A1 is not available.

Also ** If you load an SX3 project into C5, make sure when you save it you give it a different name ** , i.e. the SX3 project is called 'memories' call the Cubase 5 project 'memories C5' or whatever, otherwise you will not be able to load the project back into SX3 if you should need to.

Trust me, moving from SX3 to C5 is a really worthwhile move IMHO.
Terrific communication, thanks. Is there an easy way (other than reinstalling) my 3rd party VST's (e.g. Philarmonik, Garritan, Melodyne, etc). They're installed in SX3 using path C:\Program Files\Steinberg\CubaseSX3\Vstplugins
Imagine I goofed, should have left out the 'CubaseSX3' specific in the address I think. Still, I dread re-installing and re-registering everything. Any way to move them so Cubase 5 recognizes where they are? Haven't installed my upgrade yet, but don't want to mess any thing up. Will follow your advice to leve SX3 where it is for now. Thanks again, this forum is fantastic!
Old 4th July 2010
Gear Maniac

If I go to an i7 930 rig, will SX3 use the 4 cpu's and HT well?
Old 4th July 2010
LQM
Lives for gear

All my 3rd party plugins reside in the regular C://Program Files/VSTPlugins and being a common folder do not require re-authorization.

It's only Steinberg's own plugins which are in a Cubase specific folder, on my setup at least.

You can just drag and drop your 3rd party plugins from a Cubase Plugin folder into the common VSTPlugins folder and Cubase should automatically scan them in but if not, go to devices> Plugin INformation and 'update plugins'.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict
Win7 64bit & Cubase 5 (5.5 now) no problems what so ever!
Really happy, a great DAW.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Although Im not using it now I cant fault it in stability. I cant recall a crash at all. But Im probably one of the few that didnt like what they did with the the audio editing page. I found the whole new audio editing approach cumbersome, but maybe I just couldnt get my head around it. I work in bars and beats and I just couldnt drag a section of audio in the editing page that would correspond with beats and bars. I might be an idiot but I could only do this by using the top time line bar but as soon as I selected a section of audio the timeline would be changed. Im sure it can be done but I just never managed to work it out. I mean this is simple stuff (supposedly)

I also dont like the constant resizing of windows, the browser vanishing, some plugins never staying on top, the browser its self which is to complex) and various other little things which are not bugs its just the way it works.

In a way I missed Cubase SX3 for its simplicity to be honest but I would say that upgrading to Cubase 5 for the new features would be beneficial. Its still great for mixing and is generally fluid in operation. By that I mean it isnt as bulky feeling as Logic when moving around, zooming in and out etc.

But I have to say they need to get the windows scheme in order. Cubase forces you to use two monitors and even in some cases people use three. Im one of the few that doesnt like two monitors because it detracts my ears from the music.

And one last thing. I feel Steinberg are really going for the post production crew and losing the plot a little when it comes to people who just want to make music. The browser has post production written all over it. But when you just want to search for a kik drum it can be a chore and its kind of weird in operation, its certainly not intuitive. The browser has all that categorisation stuff which is great if your working on a film and you need to find foot steps in a long thin alley in 19th century London.

The software that has good browsers and play audio instantly without weirdness are
Live
Reaper
pro tools
Fl Studio
reason

...eh browsers are important to me
Old 7th July 2010
Here for the gear

fast way to import SX3 or SX4 plugins into Cubase 5.5

Quote:
All my 3rd party plugins reside in the regular C://Program Files/VSTPlugins and being a common folder do not require re-authorization.

It's only Steinberg's own plugins which are in a Cubase specific folder, on my setup at least.

You can just drag and drop your 3rd party plugins from a Cubase Plugin folder into the common VSTPlugins folder and Cubase should automatically scan them in but if not, go to devices> Plugin INformation and 'update plugins'.
There's a terrific and easy way to do this - just got it from Yamaha Australia - in Cubase 5.5, go to the devices. click plugin information. click the VST 2 plug Paths in tab. Click add. Then enter the path where your old plugins are previously stored. Then click update. I also clicked the set as shared folder button, don't know if that was necessary 'tho. Hope this is useful - likely it works if you had plugins in other locations. Don't know this for sure, but it would sure be worth a try. Saves any copying, dragging files, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search