The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The CUBASE 5 thread.. pros and cons. stay on topic!
Old 8th March 2009
The CUBASE 5 thread.. pros and cons. stay on topic!

ok..there were several threads..

can you guys please list the pros and cons..

NO SOLO/MUTE bug discussion, or assumption that Steinberg sucks and they should all go to hell..

no..

we are just discussing facts from people who have Cubase 5 installed, worked with it and can share 1hand info.

I have Cubase 5 (still ITB lol) and will test it in about 2 weeks.
Old 8th March 2009
Gear Nut

okay, cut and paste from another post

---
minus:
On my XP box its not as stable as C4 was, but then again, the entire core has been recoded.
I have had a few crashes, every time while loading plugins or engaging the VariAudio function during playback. Only noticed one bug so far, in the midi edit window. the VariAudio edit window is kinda sluggish especially when zoomed far out.

plus:
VariAudio works GREAT, Excellent functionality except noted above, sounds good, easy to work with. Reverence sounds very good.

I like it a lot, it fits my workflow, just like C4 did. My minuses are things that will be fixed in the next one or two patches, im shure

EDIT: Audio engine hasnt been redone, i got i wrong
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

-----

Last edited by George Necola; 9th March 2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: read the thread-rules.. only Cubase 5 topics..
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carma View Post
On my XP box its not as stable as C4 was, but then again, the entire core has been recoded.
Really? By core you mean the audio engine? I didn't know that.
Lives for gear

plus:
- all the new plugins are great to work with
- Vari Audio is a time saver (no more Melodyne errors with changing tempo or the measure of a beat)

minus:
- dont know if its a bug. On my macbook suddenly the option "copy while dragging" (drag a region and hold the alt key) is gone. I have to find out why ;-)
- on mac i had several freezes when i tried to import something from the desktop.
Gear Maniac
Everbody posting should include their OS (Mac or XP/Vista) and maybe system specs as well? Would be good information.
Lives for gear

Yeah was wondering what platform you are on george

I used C5 for a bit on my quad core PC which crashed hard a bit ago and now i have it on a new (well old as of last week) Mac pro Octo 2.8, 14 gigs ram, 10.5.6

and C5 runs on it but it is def a little less robust than the PC

dragging windows you get that stuttering drag thing

have had a few crash's on C5 that were weird. i hit PLAY once and then the play and stop button on the transport started flashing back and force and i had to force quit

sometimes when i save a project i go back and its not there, so maybe i am crazy on that one but now i pay SPECIAL attention to make sure the new folder is there and the CPR file

um, def get more spinning wheels when loading say RMX or EZplayer and VST inst than on the PC

i have been dealing with these issues and the switch to mac so much i haven't dug into the new stuff from C5, but i am excited about it

hope that helps some
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Really? By core you mean the audio engine? I didn't know that.
Yes, thats what i mean, didnt know the correct english term

Yes, i was told by a steinberg employee that the entire audio engine has been redesigned in order to run 100% in 64 bit on 64 bit systems

EDIT: No it hasnt, i got i wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma View Post
Yes, thats what i mean, didnt know the correct english term

Yes, i was told by a steinberg employee that the entire audio engine has been redesigned in order to run 100% in 64 bit on 64 bit systems
that scares me.. I mean.. not negative.. but I know the sound of cubase.. can someone confirm this information?
Gear Nut

you got me kind of nervous now, i cant find anything about the new audio engine...

Ill ask the guy who told me this to confirm it for you, he is on GS..
Old 10th March 2009
Lives for gear

well i have just run into a real doozy here in C5

i record a track thru my POD on audio track 1, input POD, output St L/R, just like normal

i go to track 2, and arm it to record, hit record and THE FIRST TRACKS AUDIO RECORDS ON IT! so i can't record at all after 1 track

deleted pref's, repaired permisiions

all my inputs and outputs are correct

i then tried an RMX midi track, dropped a loop on it and then went to another audio track, set it for my fractal axe, hit record AND MY RMX MIDI track records on it

i cannot reocrd more than one track now

have no idea what this is all about

probably some dumb setting i missed or checked somewhere but i cannot figure this one out at all
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

trock are you sure you haven't got the input of your second channel set to one of your group channels or output buses? (A few times I've confused myself when recording a fresh track, then realised the input reads something like "Stereo Out 1" instead of "Stereo In 1")
Old 10th March 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Matt

no i have triple checked

my input is to whatever the source is and its correct. the fractal i use is just like a POD and i can see the signal on the input mixer on the correct channel

i set the input to that and its fine, i record it

now i go to another track, arm it, and select input to the POD again and hit record, and bam it records that first track onto this second one

then i tried it with a midi track and rmx and same thing happens

deleted c5 prefs and re set up and same thing

this is CRAZY!

i mean i used C4.5.2 for a longggg time and knwo cubase, and this is totally new, i thought something in c5 was different as a default but i can't find anything anywhere
Lives for gear

Cubase 5 has behaved very well so far.
A few graphic glitches that´s all.

I´m very pleased.
Trock, check the settings of your POD in its controlpanel, seems as if it's set up for re-amping
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
that scares me.. I mean.. not negative.. but I know the sound of cubase.. can someone confirm this information?
No, i got it wrong, its the code "around" the audio engine thats bee redone to take advantage of a 64 bit OS

Terribly sorry about that
Gear Addict

Thanks for the update. I hope they got it right, because Nuendo will be based on the same code.
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i forgot.....

i also have the graphic glitches on my Mac, when i zoom or scroll the arrange window.
Strange, that i have the same problems with Logic 8
I just upgraded from Cubase 3 to Cubase 5 today. The installation was smooth and I'm surprised how much different and updated it is compared to Cubase 3. I'm liking the new version a lot. I don't know if it's just a placebo effect but my mixes sound different too.
Gear Head

I'm running C5 on a MacPro Quad.

All in all Cubase 5 is a great update. VariAudio is a nice idea and increases the workflow speed a lot.
Don't really need the new plugins like the new drum plugs or the IR verb (since i use a different one and will stick with it) but nice to have, or for people who don't have alternative plugins handy.

Still...Cubase 5 crashes ocasionally. More often than C4 did, especially when working with VariAudio.
I experienced crashes after a certain amount of tracks i'm using VariAudio on.
Crashes everytime i try to add another track and use this function.

And the middle-mousebutton navigation is gone since C4.
In C4 i was able to scroll/move/push the arrangement window by holding the 3rd mousebutton (or pressing the scrollwheel).
Was a great thing to navigate through the project.
I miss that function and i hope they'll bring it back with an update.
Old 11th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Well, it works just like a charm for me here..

i am running C5 in a dual opteron system with tyan board, Windows XP sp3.

The Goods:
Variaudio, which surprise me a lot since i am a melodyne user, sound is good, operate flawlessly .

Loopmash, really cooooool stuff, it eat up your cpu power quick, but it worths.

Beat designer, quite useful, especially work as a "midi plugin", got few "pattern slot" that can store up your pattern, works like BFD.

New VErb, Lovely, way better then other DAW supplier bundled Verb.

The Bads:
VST expression, the big reason i got this update so soon. It ONLY works great in the "DEMO" project, HOWEVER, still never heard anyone who able to use that with different MIDI channel OR different MIDI port/Program .. WTF , Is that a "BUG" or a "TRICK" ?? is just NOT work as it saids ! Just not working at all to be honest

Media Bay, Forget it unless you are a heavy Steniberg products user

Overall, i am impressed with the new features as they really start form the stand point of a composer/music writer, Just please PLEASE release the update sooner for those known BUG ...
Lives for gear
The deeper you get into actual working hardcore and not carefully treding around, the more chances you'll run into problems with crashing to the desktop.

I have had issues with VST plug-in information rescans, I have had issues with disappearing midi parts, corrupted midi parts, crashing in Groove Agent while importing long loops, some odd behavior with the new plugs.

Overall though, I think it's to be expected that Cubse needs a little user feedback before they roll out the 5.1 update. I think we should wait for that time to really judge whether Cubase can be trusted as a solid stable main DAW.
Lives for gear

Been using it for 2 weeks now no problem, not one crash. I moved to mac about 4 months ago using Cubase 4.5 on OSX 10.5.6 and wasn't that happy with the stability to be honest, and then when I loaded v5 and found it less responsive, I bit the bullit and went back to Xpsp3 and it's been a lot better experience,like i say not one crash since returning to XP.

I miss the extra available memory in OSX but I get round that now with a second machine running FX teleport,but I've got a very stable system back which is more important.

Marcus

p.s. the audio engine hasn't been changed I think you've got confused with going from the Carbon framework to Cocoa which is needed for 64 bit support. It's one of the things that Apple stuffed developers with as a few years ago they told dev's that carbon was their 64 bit frame work so companies like Steinberg( and many others like Adobe for example) went ahead and started developing cubase 64 with Carbon, then after 2 years Apple suddenly anounced 'actually we've changed our minds,you've now got to use Cocoa' so 2 years development instantly down the pan!!!
Here for the gear

Running C5 on XP.
Halion 3, Ivory, Halion Sym, Garritan, B4 etc.
UAD Quad and 2 single old PCI cards.
Works well with FX teleport and firewire interfaces.
3 weeks up and no major problems yet.
Love the new IR Verb
New (?) editing cursors are very useful.
The new tuner works much the same as melodyne, but easier.
I will still use autotune for some apps.
The only thing missing is the talent plugin I have asked for.
It would work in VST3, but with my luck it would only erase my vocals!
BTW I have not tried batch export yet, but hope to soon.
Cheers
Lives for gear

New Bug on Mac

i had severel times an empty bounce when i exported the mix. Than i had to do it again, and then it works.
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

REVerence a problem

I am having serious glitches using C5 reverence plugin. Audio drop outs and strange noises for 20 seconds an intermittently throughout the track on which I place it. It's so annoying that I just can't bring myself to use it.

I use a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro.

Annoying as hell.
Lives for gear

At what buffer size are you using Reverence? It's a confirmed issue that it has problems processing at low ones.

I've tried C5 remixing older files and I really like it. I have several paid sessions in the next weeks where I'll find out more. C4.1.3 was my previous platform and was extremely stable for me.

Herwig
Lives for gear

Another New Bug.

Sometimes when i export a mix, severel Tracks are not included

Then i do it again, and everything is fine. WTF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
At what buffer size are you using Reverence? It's a confirmed issue that it has problems processing at low ones.

I've tried C5 remixing older files and I really like it. I have several paid sessions in the next weeks where I'll find out more. C4.1.3 was my previous platform and was extremely stable for me.

Herwig
I use 256...I too love it, when it works. Problem is, in today's optimized plug in world, a single reverb shouldn't lock up some seriously powerful machines. I jsut wonder if there will be a fix.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
Another New Bug.

Sometimes when i export a mix, severel Tracks are not included

Then i do it again, and everything is fine. WTF
maybe an obvious question but did you check all the boxes for each track?

I happen to forget about the new export engine regularly and export silence.

Cubase 5 working fine here. 1 or 2 random crashes in a month.
Closed