The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The CUBASE 5 thread.. pros and cons. stay on topic!
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
would love to read this repsonse from a mac user
Most stable Daw for me on a Mac Pro
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
would love to read this repsonse from a mac user
I'm running it on my Macbook as well with no probs as well but due to the lower latencies I do use the PC version mostly.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2009 | Show parent
LQM
Lives for gear

I upgraded from SX3 to C5 and am finding it very stable for an early release and enjoying the many upgraded features it offers. I am not a SB fanboy (have had 'overly negative' posts deleted or threads locked and one warning about conduct on the forum, which put me off using Cubase and posting there for a while), indeed I often use Ableton Live 7 Suite for composing and arrangement, but have really grown into liking C5 a lot. I am running it on a Windows Vista 32 laptop with Core2Duo and 4 GB ram and it is running very nicely. I first tried it on my older P4 3.2 Ghz laptop w/ 2GB ram and it ran OK, except for stuff like Reverence which is to be expected (offline processing and.or freezing helped here). That machine has since died unfortunately.

In my experience, Cubase runs better on PC than Mac, which we use at work, and has for a long time. Not to say the mac version is bad, it's just not quite as slick. Logic does feel more in groove with the Mac OSX systems than Cubase if I'm honest.

I will give SB kudos though for C5, which I feel is their best sequencer yet and as time goes by, some glitches will be fixed and maybe some more functionality might be included as was the case in C4. Either way, it's a really good, solid app on my computer.
Old 18th September 2009
Gear Head

Cubase ffff five.

Hey guys Who is using Xp with a midi usb device? I found that recording midi is sometimes is way off the mark.

And when I try to import from audio CD.......crash, boom.

I hate that!!! I only have the two problems so far.

Can anyone suggest an alternative or a fix somewhere I maybe have yet to learn?

Thank you
Old 18th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohogan View Post
Hey guys Who is using Xp with a midi usb device? I found that recording midi is sometimes is way off the mark.

And when I try to import from audio CD.......crash, boom.

I hate that!!! I only have the two problems so far.

Can anyone suggest an alternative or a fix somewhere I maybe have yet to learn?

Thank you

Quote:
General advice for using MIDI on PC Windows systems
These are the basic steps to check when you experience problems with the stability of MIDI communication on your PC system:

* It is recommended to have DirectX 9.0c installed! Please update the DirectX version if this is not the case. DirectX 9.0c is automatically installed with Windows XP SP2. Windows Vista contains the successor DirectX 10.
* If you have persistent timing problems (shifted notes etc.) with native or emulated DirectMusic ports please check the option "Use System Timestamp" provided in the DirectMusic section of the Device Setup dialogue. This option uses another timing reference in your system when enabled.
* The option "Use System Time Stamp" is also available for Windows MIDI ports since Cubase SE 3, SL & SX 3.1 and Nuendo 3.1.
* Since Cubase/Nuendo 4 the option can be found in "Device Setup..."-> MIDI -> MIDI Port setup.
* If you experience trouble while receiving/transmitting SysEx data through native or emulated DirectMusic MIDI ports please check if the Windows MIDI (MME) ports can be of help. To gain access to all available driver architectures please see sections below about the "ignoreportfilter" & "enableemulated" switches.

Further details using MIDI on PC Windows: What´s the issue?
Using MIDI interface port drivers on PCs with Windows XP/Vista in conjunction with current MIDI/Audio sequencer applications like Cubase or Nuendo, which mainly rely on Microsoft's current DirectMusic (as part of DirectX) API for MIDI communication, can sometimes be confusing for the user. This is due to the fact that it is possible for providers of MIDI interface drivers to deliver their drivers in different "flavors". Modern MIDI interfaces like Steinberg's MIDEX 3 and MIDEX 8 interfaces are installed with real native DirectMusic drivers whereas it is still quite common for other interfaces to use a predecessor API to provide drivers for the Windows MIDI system. DirectMusic itself has a function to "mirror" these Windows MIDI ports to show up as "emulated DirectMusic" ports. Unfortunately, this can lead to a quite nice array of problems when using an inappropriate port driver architecture:

* Using emulated DirectMusic ports often results in shifted MIDI events while recording (events are recorded too late or too early)
* Sometimes no MIDI events are recorded at all
* Sometimes stuck notes or several events stacked on top of each other are recorded instead of being consecutive
* Generally bad or wacky MIDI timing on playback
* Double or triple recordings of the same MIDI events due to using different driver architectures at the same time

Former versions of Cubase SE/SL/SX and Nuendo (before 3.0.1) used a MIDI port filter to guess the most appropriate MIDI interface port type. The detection often displayed native DirectMusic drivers (if available at all) and the emulated versions of installed Windows MIDI drivers per default. But as most interface drivers are delivered for Windows MIDI only, such interfaces could be only used as emulated DirectMusic drivers with the consequences described above. Intervention from the user was needed to unhide the filtered Windows MIDI ports followed by a necessary re-configuration of the MIDI Setup in the Device Setup dialogue to make sure that no ports are used twice or three times due to the disabled MIDI port filter.

The new MIDI port filter used by Cubase SL/SX & Nuendo 3.0.1
Since the release of Cubase SL/SX & Nuendo 3.0.1 we have changed the filter mechanism to pick the MIDI ports provided by the MIDI port drivers of your Windows system.

From now on the default behavior will be as follows:

* If native DirectMusic drivers are present these ports will be used (e.g. for the MIDEX 3 or MIDEX 8 MIDI interfaces)
* If there are no native DirectMusic drivers available the Windows MIDI (MME) ports will be used instead of emulated DirectMusic ports as it was the case in previous versions
* Emulated DirectMusic ports won’t be used any longer by default!

This should be the most common solution for most setups, especially for users having issues with MIDI problems due to emulated DirectMusic ports in the past.

A manual configuration of MIDI ports should no longer be necessary.

Advice for a proper MIDI port setup
If you have updated from previous versions of Cubase SE/SL/SX or Nuendo to version 3.0.1 (or higher) please make sure to check the following points:

* If you have used the "ignoreportfilter" file in the past to get your Windows MIDI ports displayed please move this file back into the folder "midi port enabler" inside the program application folder where Cubase or Nuendo has been installed. It is essential to ensure that this file is no longer available in the main folder of the application but in the "midi port enabler" folder only.
* After that please check your MIDI port configuration in the menu >Devices >Device Setup… and look in the section for "DirectMusic". You should not see emulated ports any longer, instead the application has detected the appropriate MIDI ports dependent from the used architecture of the MIDI port drivers automatically
* All ports can be found in the "MIDI Port setup" in Cubase/Nuendo 4 or higher.

How to deal with "Pending Connections"
While the improved filter mechanism leads to easier handling and configuration of your MIDI ports it may occur that you see a "Pending Connections" dialog on loading projects saved with versions prior to 3.0.1. This happens when your project file had e.g. emulated DirectMusic MIDI ports assigned to MIDI tracks. As these ports are no longer available per default the application asks you to resolve such connections.

Upon loading such a project the following will happen:

* A "Pending Connections" dialog will appear
* This dialog suggests the appropriate Window MIDI ports automatically to resolve pending connections to former emulated DirectMusic ports used
* Accepting this dialog with "OK" loads the project with correctly re-connected MIDI tracks without further intervention by the user. However you can also re-route the ports by yourself if needed.
* The application also saves such re-routings in the "default.xml" file within the preferences of the application to know how to re-route pending MIDI port connections in the future.

Additional possibilities to configure MIDI ports (for troubleshooting only)
It is still possible to use the "ignoreportfilter" file in the same way as before version 3.0.1. Additionally, there is also a new file called "enableemulated". These two files are stored inside a folder named "midi port enabler" which can be found inside the Cubase/Nuendo application folder.

This will happen when you use these files:

* "ignoreportfilter" will show you every MIDI port installed on your system independent of the used driver architecture. When you use e.g. a MIDEX 3 or 8 you can use this to get the Windows MIDI ports of the MIDEX displayed inside the application (additionally to the already displayed native DirectMusic ports). Generally speaking, the "ignoreportfilter" disables any filter to hide specific MIDI port architectures.
* "enableemulated" will show you all emulated DirectMusic ports but will not unhide Windows MIDI ports itself. This can be necessary if you have problems with the Windows MIDI ports of your MIDI interface but there are no native DirectMusic ports available for your interface. Fortunately, this situation is happens only in a very rare number of cases.

These files are used as a sort of "switch". To use these "switches" just move the desired file from the folder "midi port enabler" one level up to the main application folder, e.g. to folder "\program files\steinberg\cubase sx 3\".

Please note that using these files makes it mandatory to check your MIDI port setup inside the application for redundant MIDI ports (i.e. those that appear twice or even three times). Use menu >Devices >Device Setup… for this. You should not use more than one driver architecture for a specific MIDI device at a time. For example, using the "ignoreportfilter" with a MIDEX 3 or 8 will show you the native DirectMusic ports listed and the Windows MIDI ports at the same time. This means that you will record from two ports at once when your MIDI tracks are set to "All MIDI Inputs". To solve this, please deactivate the ports either for DirectMusic or Windows MIDI
Try another import modes. The slowest, the better IMO.

Steinberg doesn´t allow direct linking to the knowledge base, hence the quotation
Old 8th October 2009
Here for the gear

Help

Anyone know if the Yamaha n12 works with Snow leopard?
Old 18th October 2009 | Show parent
Engagement Manager

cubase 5 is quiting anytime i try and open a saved project while already having a project open (happens on my macbook and a G5)
have tried double clicking a saved song or using the 'open' option from the file menu
but it gets part way through loading and then quits
also i still can't move items without there being a 'drag delay' even though the box is un-ticked in prefs
I run Cubase 5 on a PC. I also upgraded from SX3. So far it has been very stable, and allowing me to open all my SX3 songs in Cubase 5. I am very happy with the updates they have put into Cubase since SX3, and feel it is on par for recording and mixing with my beloved Samplitude 10. Though both programs are great, Cubase 5 has become my main DAW once again.
Engagement Manager

i very much like what it does
but i seem to have traded all of the bugs that i had in SX3 for new ones in 5
maybe it's just problems that are specific to me and my machines
but i have solo issues (sometimes hit solo and it solos the wrong track)
can't sync project and mixer
disk overload when exporting any VSTi's
still it's very stable as long as i don't do any of the above things
Lives for gear

i love it. Amazing DAW that I know in and out. Its also very stable.

There are the well known cons tho:

- Bad latency performance on mac with multicore cpus
- Too many bugs that still havent been fixed.
- OSX support seems non (less) important to Steinberg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperschool View Post
cubase 5 is quiting anytime i try and open a saved project while already having a project open (happens on my macbook and a G5)
have tried double clicking a saved song or using the 'open' option from the file menu
but it gets part way through loading and then quits
also i still can't move items without there being a 'drag delay' even though the box is un-ticked in prefs
have had problems with this also
so im quitting cubase and restarting when i want to open a new project, which for me is no biggy
Gear Addict

As of today, cubase 5.1 is cracked.
That is definately a con: now every idiot will have it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
as of yesterday, but yeah. supposedly took them 4000 hours to crack it !
good luck with updates and customer support if you have a crack though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Yep now were going to see a slew of kids with soundblaster cards using Nuendo 4
LQM
Lives for gear

Took a random poll on how effective the warezed Cubase 5.1 torrent by AiR is by googling - I wouldn't say it was 100% effective judging by these ...

downloaded just fine.... but doesn‘t work for me.... it loads up, then it pumps the "no protection device detected" error...

crack doesn‘t work for me...

Same here it works fine for a few seconds then poof crash...i am not running 64bit though...?

I get an error in vst audio system under devices - device setup when I try to set up asio drivers
bump‘ on all problems. x32 on vista crashes with audio interface, and x64 doesn‘t recognize any VST devices. soon soon.
This crack works for me but isn‘t stable. Cubase shuts every time down!!!

doesn‘t work on WinXP SP3 32-bit. Cubase launches fine with no errors but when a project is opened, either it closes itself automatically or an error message appears. If an error message appear, you can ignore it and move around in your project but when you press play, nothing happens.

With this crack the program runs and loads my old CubaseSX (ooold) projects (automation and all) but for some reason they won‘t play.

This crack is piece of unuseful **** and does not working stable no matter what you do or think!

Then again, AiR have been known for a lot of BS announcements and false promises.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Yep now were going to see a slew of kids with soundblaster cards using Nuendo 4
thats the most amazing thing isnt it..
i talk to guys all the time that say they have a maya card or a soundblaster 24bit card or something really cheap but they have nuendo.... 2 and 2 dont go together...
then they ask me simple questions about nuendo as if its hard to use....
then they always end up saying they have waves mercury bundle LMFAO...
so in the end they have over $6000 worth of software with a cheap mxl mic, behringer pre, boombox speakers and they wonder why they cant get "Professional" quality.. its amazes me....

i see it all the time here in atlanta and simply checking craigslist, there's ppl trying to sell waves mercury with autotune evo for $60 as a set LMFAO
take a look for yourself
http://atlanta.***************/atl/muc/1402594352.html
http://atlanta.***************/atl/muc/1402589140.html

$50 package includes everthing below.
Full working programs with serial numbers. No hacks or cracks needed

upgrade your studio with the lastest and greatest software

PROTOOLS 8
FL STUDIO 9
REASON 4
WAVES MERCURY BUNDLE
10 GREAT VST'S:
hypersonic 1
hypersonic 2
purity
aas string tudio
aas lounge lizard
aas ultra analog
sylenth
native instruments massive
native instruments fm7
navtive instruments fm8
and a bonus of the KORG LEGACY COLLECTION: INCLUDES..wavestation,ms-20,legacy cell,me-dx

CALL DISKO @678-668-6711
For those that are about to use an illegal copy of Cubase: either you're a kid - left alone in front of a PC - or you get what you pay for...

Being zero, nada, null you get a piece of software that won't accept future revisions, so blame yourself if crashes occur.
Lives for gear

One thing I have noticed using 4 and 5 compared to the old versions is how perfect your mouse must be to move pans, volumes on aux, busses, plugins etc...

It's horrible actually. If the section allows you to use a number it's ok but a wider area for mouse movement would be great.

Still really like version 5, works very well and has great new additions. By far the best one yet.

If I could put them in order of starting with the best version first it would follow:

Cubase 5
Cubase SX3
Cubase SX2
Cubase VST5
Cubase 4

4 Made me angry actually, came close to dropping them for good, got over it with 5 and they gave me a discount on the upgrade.
Engagement Manager

back on topic i have to say i cannot stand the tiny channel pan adjusters
back in SX 3 they were much easier to grab and move
in 5 (not sure about 4) for some reason they are half the height and a real pain to use
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
have had problems with this also
so im quitting cubase and restarting when i want to open a new project, which for me is no biggy
yeah i have to do this to but it's no good when you want to have a project open and drop & drag parts or info into another project/version of the track
you can do it but then when i try to activate the other project cubase quits
Closed