The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CUBASE F_CKED UP MY PROJECT!!!!
Old 6th July 2005
js1
Lives for gear

I can understand your frustration - it sucks to be on a creative streak and then lose it all.

Couple of thoughts:

The 01X has been an issue with Cubase, particularly with timing. There's a new release of SX3 that's supposed to fix things up due in Aug. Don't know if the changes will be applied to SX2.

If Cubase crashes out, there might be a cubase.log (I think that's the name) file created that may give a hint of what happened. If you've loaded up with a bunch of freeware plugins, one of them may cause an issue (they're not all written that well), and the name of the offending plug may show up in the log file. If you crash during a file save, your mileage may vary.

Cubase isn't always graceful if the CPU hits 100%. It's better now than it used to be.

The Cubase message board is a much more civilized place now that you have to register with the serial number from your USB key. A lot less noise from the hackers, so if you have a legitimate problem, people are more willing to help you.

FWIW, Cubase has had some weak releases, but the latest SX2 and SX3 ones have been very stable. And, also, FWIW, I've had multiple messed up files with an, um, leading Apple sequencer. Nothing like seeing your song file length = 0 bytes to make your day. So I don't trust any of them, and keep multiple versions of the song file to protect myself.

js
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Im sorry to hear about your probs, like others have said - always keep a backup & pref on a seperate HDD. Fortunately in over 10 years of using Cubase I have never lost a session - the odd file has gone missing, but having a backup always has got me around these probs.

As for your problem ive never heard of Cubase deleting a session, ive had the odd corrupted file, but ive still been able to open the session up. Like others have said there is something seriously wrong with your computer and i dont think its Cubase that is your problem. Im on SX3 and it is STABLE the only probs ive had is with TC PoCo and that has been fixed with software updates - but thats TC's fault not Cubase.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Hey Offender,

I have been using Cubase and Nuendo in my professional production enviornments for years. I have never lost a file, and I have never lost a project. It is the most reliable platform out there. Period.

If you lost something, it's your own fault. Backup is absolutely a GIVEN when recording with computers. You are a fool if you don't do it.

Also... sounds like you are trying to use a piece of CRAP computer for this. Why would you do that? A computer for audio does have to specialized in many ways for it work properly. The knowledge on how to do that is out there for anyone with an internet connection that knows how to type the word "google".

I use exclusively computers I built myself specifically for audio. I have not had a crash during a session, or lost a take in over 3 years. I don't even worry about that. This is far more reliable than a Radar or even tape for me. I have backup built in via RAID 5 and removable bay firewire drive units. I double back-up via the removable bays nightly, but have never had to do a re-call.

If you want help, why don't you go to the official Steinberg user forum and ask for for it. You DO have to enter your dongle number to get support there though (which I suspect might be why you came here to start with)... and if you don't have one of those.... well you absolutely 100% deserve what you got.

If I were you, I would change your post title. YOU F__Ked up your project, not Steinberg.
Who the **** is this ARSEHOLE? Look dude, my computer is a good computer yeah. I'm not made of money...Sorry I couldnt spend £3,000. It works FINE with everything else. Dont assume that my copy of cubase is fake...Because I paid £500 for this piece of **** program...and if I did download it, I would bloody TELL everyone here that I did in case that was the issue.

Anyway, excuse me...some people on here are arseholes. Thanks for everyones advice. You all have helped so much. Thanks for that advice about the 'windows search'. i did the search and found the missing cpr file. Its in the same directory it was in before...but when I go to that directly, its simply not there....and YES, it hasnt been 'hidden'. Anyway, I just double clicked the recovered file and cubase says " Cannot open project file blablabla.cpr"

It must be corrupted. I have no clue why cubase corrupted it...or decided to make the file invisible..but it did. Anyway, I dont think much more can be done. But I'm gonna run a de-frag on my hard drives..and look into my m-lan **** some more...but thanks for all your tips and advice...it's all been noted.

Its a shame, coz I really liked working with cubase
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender
Who the **** is this ARSEHOLE? Look dude, my computer is a good computer yeah. I'm not made of money...Sorry I couldnt spend £3,000. It works FINE with everything else. Dont assume that my copy of cubase is fake...Because I paid £500 for this piece of **** program...and if I did download it, I would bloody TELL everyone here that I did in case that was the issue.

Anyway, excuse me...some people on here are arseholes. Thanks for everyones advice. You all have helped so much. Thanks for that advice about the 'windows search'. i did the search and found the missing cpr file. Its in the same directory it was in before...but when I go to that directly, its simply not there....and YES, it hasnt been 'hidden'. Anyway, I just double clicked the recovered file and cubase says " Cannot open project file blablabla.cpr"

It must be corrupted. I have no clue why cubase corrupted it...or decided to make the file invisible..but it did. Anyway, I dont think much more can be done. But I'm gonna run a de-frag on my hard drives..and look into my m-lan **** some more...but thanks for all your tips and advice...it's all been noted.

Hmmmm.... I see how it is.

You get online and accuse (with cursing and all) a perfectly good program of losing your file.... like you had NOTHING to do with it.

You have not backed up. You have a crappy computer (you can get a GREAT DAW for under $1000 if you do a little research first). Yet you want to take NO blame in the matter.

You say you HATE Steinberg (some of the developers there I consider friends... and all are REALLY great guys).

So, I call YOU out for being a jerk... especially since it's your fault you lost your work.... and you can do is call me names.

I think you need to look in the mirror before you start calling any more names.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

Yeah, Offender, you are responding really immaturely to this. Cool down and stop pointing fingers and maybe accept that you might share a teensy weensy little bit of responsibility for what happened?
Cubase doesn't delete files. Ever. If the file dissapeared then there is a problem with your computer and/or Windows. Windows may have discovered a bad sector and had to delete the file's records, or there was some memory or buffer error while the file was being written.

If it's setup properly, Cubase should automatically make backup files every 10 minutes or so. Should be there somewhere in the project directory under a different name.
If you haven't even bothered to setup Cubase to make these periodic backups (a step that takes all of 10 seconds) then what can I say, you do indeed deserve what you got. ANY audio recording system is very occasionally going to have a catastrophic data loss. It just happens and you have to know this and be prepared to deal with it. This includes learning about your setup and what you can do it improve its reliability, and have a backup in the case of a loss. Even the analog kids back in the day made backups, and they didn't have the multitude of barely-compatible 3rd party technology squeezed into a supposedly-working package known as the DAW. Failure must be expected and the responsibility is yours to have a reliable system, not Steinberg's. Steinberg is there to provide a stable product within reason, which includes things like not randomly deleting files, which of course they have done quite well.
Old 7th July 2005
Quote:
Thanks for that advice about the 'windows search'. i did the search and found the missing cpr file. Its in the same directory it was in before...but when I go to that directly, its simply not there....and YES, it hasnt been 'hidden'. Anyway, I just double clicked the recovered file and cubase says " Cannot open project file blablabla.cpr"

It must be corrupted. I have no clue why cubase corrupted it...or decided to make the file invisible..but it did.
See if you can transfer the project files to another comp with Cubase installed to it and open up the project there.
I've had one corrupted project during all my years and transfering it to another comp, opening it up, saving it again, transfer back to my original comp fixed all that. Never had any more troubles with this project.
Old 7th July 2005
theother
Quote:

There is really no evidence at all that Cubase is to blame for your problems. Cosidering this I'm amazed what insults you hurl at Steinberg.

I'm not a big fan of Steinberg customer support myself occasionaly, but they still offer a great and mostly bug-free program with Cubase SX3 now. At least no showstoppers.

All these problems that you have, no one else seem to have. So this indicates something is wrong with your setup and not Steinberg.

You call them ******s, call Cubase a ****-program etc. I understand your anger, but you project your anger in the wrong direction.
I'm almost certain the one to blame is you or the person who built/chose your computer.

Still I don't know why you didn't post all of this on the Steinberg forum?

If you have a valid dongle as you say you should get customer support, but I understand Steinberg that they won't help you so setup your computer and build it properly. That's not their job. They can't resolve every problem that's not been caused by them.

I work with Steinberg programs since 1986 and what your describe here has almost certainly nothing to do with Cubase.

When you have an unstable computer it can corrupt files or if your computer crashes when Cubase want's to save your project it gets corrupted too. But what can Steinberg do about this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search