The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase SX3 in Windows on Macbook via Bootcamp? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Head

Cubase SX3 in Windows on Macbook via Bootcamp?

Hey guys. I am about to get a Macbook soon and I plan on using Bootcamp with it so I can run Cubase SX3 on it in Windows. It should work fine, right? I want to use Cubase SX3 because I can get it for real cheap, and there are some Windows plug-ins that are not available for Mac (like dblue's Glitch). I'd use an RME FF400, that should work as well in Windows via Bootcamp, right? Sorry if I'm being vague.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummy View Post
Hey guys. I am about to get a Macbook soon and I plan on using Bootcamp with it so I can run Cubase SX3 on it in Windows. It should work fine, right? I want to use Cubase SX3 because I can get it for real cheap, and there are some Windows plug-ins that are not available for Mac (like dblue's Glitch). I'd use an RME FF400, that should work as well in Windows via Bootcamp, right? Sorry if I'm being vague.
Windows via bootcamp acts completely like a regular Windows would, unlike things like VMWare where you're running it as a virtual system.

In bootcamp, Windows has no clue that the machine is a Mac, and just runs as usual.
Bootcamp is just a set of drivers and a switch in the bios that allows the machine to boot to a windows partition.

So it should run fine. I have a Macbook Pro myself and have run Nuendo on it (in PC Mode) without any issues.
Best to run audio off an external USB drive (7200 Rpm), as the internal drive isn't particularly quick and could hamper your performance.
I have run it with an FF400 as well and it works great!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cubase SX4 working fine hear under bootcamp EXCEPT I've not been able to find whatever it is on the XP side that interrupts audio after a while. Audio is a Lynx Auroro 16 w/FW. Bad drivers apparently. Midi, etc. works fine.

On the Mac side the Lynx works perfectly with Cubase.

Be sure to take an inventory of ports that you need for hardware (audio, midi, key devices) and external drives.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Head

Cubase 4 works fine, but how about SX3?
Old 14th August 2008
rlg
Gear Maniac

If I'm not mistaken, the Cubase install disc has both Mac and PC versions, right? Why not just run it on the Mac partition?
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Cubase install disc has both Mac and PC versions, right? Why not just run it on the Mac partition?
SX3 was never UB compatible
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Although the Macbooks are called us such, from the inside there is nothing 'Mac' about them.
They're just really well built PC laptops that run OS X; so when they're running XP, you basically just have a PC running XP; so SX3 will run fine.

The whole UB thing came around because Apple switched their hardware from IBM G4/G5 Chipsets to Intel hardware. Afaik, the only major difference (hardware wise) with Macbooks and other Intel-chipset based PC laptops is the bios.

I've been running XP (and later Vista) on my Macbook Pro and have yet to find a program that hasn't worked like it should.

It seems the confusion comes from Bootcamp; some people seem to think it does some kind of PC emulation or something, when all it really does is install PC drivers for the Macbook Hardware and a switch in the bios that allows booting from a Fat or NTFS drive.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man View Post
Although the Macbooks are called us such, from the inside there is nothing 'Mac' about them.
They're just really well built PC laptops that run OS X; so when they're running XP, you basically just have a PC running XP; so SX3 will run fine.

The whole UB thing came around because Apple switched their hardware from IBM G4/G5 Chipsets to Intel hardware. Afaik, the only major difference (hardware wise) with Macbooks and other Intel-chipset based PC laptops is the bios.

I've been running XP (and later Vista) on my Macbook Pro and have yet to find a program that hasn't worked like it should.

It seems the confusion comes from Bootcamp; some people seem to think it does some kind of PC emulation or something, when all it really does is install PC drivers for the Macbook Hardware and a switch in the bios that allows booting from a Fat or NTFS drive.

Cheers,

Joe
Hi Joe,

What configuration has your MacBookPro set up, which external HD? Does your machine has sufficient power etc. to do good projects (that is midi, plugs and several audio tracks) without any problems? Finnaly, so you can run LogicPro and Nuendo simultanously (that is OSX and XP)?

Regards,

Roger
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear
I've been running SX3 on a Mac Pro (tower) native for over a year without any major problems. We run PTLE with an 003Rack, and SX3 runs on the 003 just fine.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Hi Joe,

What configuration has your MacBookPro set up, which external HD? Does your machine has sufficient power etc. to do good projects (that is midi, plugs and several audio tracks) without any problems? Finnaly, so you can run LogicPro and Nuendo simultanously (that is OSX and XP)?

Regards,

Roger
Hi Roger,

My Macbook Pro is 2nd (probably 3rd by now) generation one, the last batch to feature Ati video cards before Apple started using Nvidia ones.
It's a 2.0ghz Duo Core with 2gb of memory.

My external drive is a Lacie 500gb 7200 rpm drive via USB 2.
I'm looking at replacing the case of the Lacie as two previous lacie drives of mine have died in recent times because of the bad case design.
Audio interface is an RME FF400.

My home machine at the time I got the Macbook (which is over a year ago) was a dual Opteron setup (1.6ghz) and I was surprised to see that my Macbook outperformed it!!!
When I had to do some work on the road I was surprised to see it run sessions quite comfortably that were nearly maxing out the Opteron, so when I came back I built myself a new PC system (Quadcore 2.4 ghz with 8gb and Vista x64).

Anyway, I was running a Nuendo session under XP with 2 to 3 instances of Kontakt 2 (fully loaded), an Altiverb instance and quite a few plug-ins (mostly EQ's and some compressors), around 100 midi tracks and a dozen or so audiotracks. It ran these quite well at a buffer size of 512 on my FF400.

Though it is configured as Bootcamp, I rarely run the Mac OS side (usually just to watch tv series and mess with Metasynth) and most of the time it is bootcamped to XP (now Vista), which runs very well.
The way it works as that at boottime you can decide what OS the system should run by pressing 'Alt'. You can then either boot to Windows or Mac Os X.
If you boot to Windows, the laptop becomes a windows machine.

As I mentioned before, there should be no performance difference whatsoever between the macbook performance running under XP and a similar specced PC laptop, which is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Not sure what you mean with running OS X and XP simultaneously; you can run XP under Mac OS x via Parallels desktop or VMware, but it is not recommended for audio work as you're basically splitting your machine's cpu power between two OS'es, with no control over who get's what.
However, going to another OS is simply a case of rebooting.
It has to be said that Mac Os X boots a whole lot quicker than Windows, but then I guess it has got a whole lot less device drivers to contend with

Cheers,

Joe
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Joe,

Thanx for your detailed answer. A MacbookPro will be my next purchase then. I think I'll buy one with 4GB of RAM with an internal 7200 and an external Lacie and I'll have a good desktop replacer. I run Cubase on it as well LogicPro. Being able to switch between OSX and XP is just great. I still use Wavelab so now and then too. On my current system I have problems with C4 and plugs, latency and simply choking with just a few audio tracks already (with SX3.1 I don't have this that quick btw), I do need some more power. BTW, your PC will outperform now the Macbook I assume?

Regards,

Roger
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Hi Joe,

Thanx for your detailed answer. A MacbookPro will be my next purchase then. I think I'll buy one with 4GB of RAM with an internal 7200 and an external Lacie and I'll have a good desktop replacer. I run Cubase on it as well LogicPro. Being able to switch between OSX and XP is just great. I still use Wavelab so now and then too. On my current system I have problems with C4 and plugs, latency and simply choking with just a few audio tracks already (with SX3.1 I don't have this that quick btw), I do need some more power. BTW, your PC will outperform now the Macbook I assume?

Regards,

Roger
Yeah, it should run all that quite comfortably.
The PC outperforms the Macbook easily now

I would advise you to run XP on the PC partition; don't go for Vista as it can be a bit of a resourcehog. I don't have issues with it on my new PC (I run Vista x64), but I'm currently trialing it on my Macbook Pro and it seems to make it quite a bit slower.

It's best to run any audio on an external drive; leave the internal one for Programs and Windows.
My internal drive is a 5400 RPM one and as long as I run all my samples/audio from the external drive, everything's Kool and the Gang.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man View Post
Yeah, it should run all that quite comfortably.
The PC outperforms the Macbook easily now

I would advise you to run XP on the PC partition; don't go for Vista as it can be a bit of a resourcehog. I don't have issues with it on my new PC (I run Vista x64), but I'm currently trialing it on my Macbook Pro and it seems to make it quite a bit slower.

It's best to run any audio on an external drive; leave the internal one for Programs and Windows.
My internal drive is a 5400 RPM one and as long as I run all my samples/audio from the external drive, everything's Kool and the Gang.

Cheers,

Joe
OK, thanx. How big is your internal HD and how much is the PC partition and how much the OSX?

regards,

Roger
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search