The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 3 is Crashing Suddenly. Any ideas? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Cubase 3 is Crashing Suddenly. Any ideas?

Hey all...I've got this all of a sudden problem that is really frusterating. Cubase 3.01 PC after 1+ year of Rock Solid Stability is all of a sudden crashing. Sometimes after a 3 hour session, or a 5 minute one. Usually displaying the "A serious problem has occured, and Cubase is shutting down. You must save your project under a different title" or something similar.
Sometimes even just a Total Crash...Blank Screen...Power off...restart, etc.

I've tried defragmenting all 3 of my HD's, and it still does it.

I should mention that I installed a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor last week, as well as Downloaded a few Trial Plug-ins from PSP Audioware (MasterComp, EasyVerb to be exact) just as this garbage started happening, so I'm not sure what could be the cause. I'm not too great with PC's, but does this sound like a processor or plug-in problem? Maybe the processor is overheating and I need a new Heatsink and Fan for the CPU? I just used my old stock one from my AMD Athlon 64 3400 single core. Maybe PSU is crapping out(fairly new)? XP is now acting squirley as well, booting up only 99% of the time, and is even crashing when I am not even in Cubase.
Any suggestions, ideas, would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry about the length. Thanks. AR.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

crashing

Do you have any anti virus anti spyware installed? If so, shut them down when u are working with Cubase....

That might help...

I know for a fact that AVG anti virus causes this crash....
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

I do have Norton anti-virus and spysweeper installed...but I don't keep my DAW even connected to the Net, so they are shut down. I have a seperate PC for Internet. So I can't imagine Spyware or a virus affecting Windows or Cubase. I should do a sweep just in case something I transfered to my DAW didn't have a Trojan or virus. It's a Start!

thanks again.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi there

I don't know whether your problem is similar to mine - I had a sudden spate of constant crashes after a lot of reliability - tried changing memory - in the end it was the motherboard failing and eventually the thing could not be turned on - so back everything up real soon and good luck. . . . .
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

The problems you describe are indicative of your cpu overheating. Make sure that your heatsink and fan are rated to handle the new cpu. Also make sure that the heatsink itself is very clean as dust will diminish it's capability to cool the cpu. Good luck!
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

I have this problem too. usually happens when I'm really running my old emachine into the ground.

The overheating explanation is the most logical theory for this I've heard.

If you google this problem, you'll see you're not the only one.

could be a plug isn't playing nice, or a temperature thing. sorry i have no advice :(

b
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Did you fresh install Windows after you changed your processor?
Usually you have to when changing hardware.

In case your cooling isn't sufficient for your new CPU you can install another fan in your case.

Michael
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

That is fustrating, been there, done that.

Sounds like bad/loose memory when it throws you out to DOS/reboot without a warning.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Firstly you should upgrade to SX 3.1.1 as the early version of SX3 were pretty buggy and 3.1 has some nice new features like external fx.

Secondly as helpfull as Gearslutz is you will probably get an answer quicker at Cubase forums.So go and register on the cubase forum and have your dongle number ready as it is a requirment to register on the Cubase forums.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

do all three!!

I definately approve buying a really good CPU cooler...look up zalman..

also, a reinstall of windows might be needed..

THIRDLY,...

do all the upodates to cubase SX3..( i think there are 2 or 3)..

Hopefully that should do the trick..

Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thats a lot of the ideas and suggestions. I will first get some more case fans and one for my cpu to try to reduce temp. I think an Update to SX3.1 will be a good start as well.
Old 19th August 2007
js1
Lives for gear

There's a cubase crash log file (I think it's cubase.log, but I'm not in front of the DAW right now). Sometimes it will name an offending plugin or app - it's worth a shot.

Are you running any DSP cards? I seem to recall that UAD cards aren't compatible with AMD X2.

But, rereading your original post, you say that you're running into general crashing - I wouldn't worry about the other stuff until you get the general Windows stability taken care of. It could be heat, could be memory timings (are you trying to overclock?)
js
Old 19th August 2007
Deleted User
The LAST version of SX3 is the MOST stable by far and least bug ridden.
The final update never came from Steiny though, they call it Cubase 4dfegad

Cubase SX 3 :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Make sure you update in sequence as it suggest as well.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search