The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase Pro 10.5 and outboard gear as "external effect"
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear

Cubase Pro 10.5 and outboard gear as "external effect"

Hey all!

I have a stereo outboard compressor that I use with Cubase, generally on my 2 buss. I have set it up in Cubase Audio Setup as a stereo external effect and is routed into inputs/outputs 7 and 8 in my audio interface. Works great. I pretty much use it like a plugin on my mixbuss and the audio routes through the hardware.

My question: since this compressor can also function in dual-mono, can I setup 2 additional external effects, once for each side (let's say left side of compressor is in/out 7, and right side is in/out 8). This way I can use each "side" of the compressor discreetly for mono processing, or choose to KEEP the stereo version for mix buss duties. Obviously I realize i could only choose one or the other, depending on what I'd like to compress. (stereo track vs. say, a bass or kick drum)

Hope that makes sense!

GG
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Hi... You dont need to do anything in particular.
If you just want to use one side for a mono track at a time you just insert your stereo "external effect" on that given mono track and it should simply use the left side of your stereo hardware device.
If you want to use two different mono channels at the same time, you just got to quickly change your external effect I/O settings to two mono effects - one with I/O 7 and the other with I/O 8 (as for your example), you do not need to manually change the cable connection.
It is super quick and flexible. You could, for example, use the mono setting first, then print some main "tactical" mono stuff like kick, bass, snare and main vocals with your hardware processing and then change it to the stereo settings and strap it around the bus.
You could have open in your external effect setings three different processors and call them lets say "Comp S, "CompL" and "CompR" and jump quickly with the output settings between them.
Hope that was the question. Good luck!

Edit: PS you can not have two different "external effects" sharing the same physical I/O at the same time, that is why when you want to use a device both in stereo and dual mono, you have to switch the I/O when you want change between the two.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

SUPER helpful! Thank you kindly!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiano View Post
SUPER helpful! Thank you kindly!

also....remember to press the latency detection icon (cannot remember how it is called exactly now) on the top of the "plug in" window.
It gets rid of external latency added and therfore avoids you having any phase problems at all when mixing.

Last edited by audioloud; 17th September 2020 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: important
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

When having one or a few devices it's easy & quick & all that ... not so much when you get into more outboard. Been begging for savable setups for a few years now. If inputs and outputs can be saved as presets (and in a project) then why can't we have the same for external effects?

Over 50 channels of outboard and sometimes switching between dual mono and stereo and all that clicking gets tiring *really* quick.

Herwig
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
When having one or a few devices it's easy & quick & all that ... not so much when you get into more outboard. Been begging for savable setups for a few years now. If inputs and outputs can be saved as presets (and in a project) then why can't we have the same for external effects?

Over 50 channels of outboard and sometimes switching between dual mono and stereo and all that clicking gets tiring *really* quick.

Herwig
I agree Steinberg should have created the possibility to save them as presets like the inputs and outputs setups. That would make it a bit faster.
📝 Reply