The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 10.5 Pro vs. Reaper
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
Been using Cubase since 1990, I love and I hate it. But I'm never going to leave it. I have Reaper and like the OP said it feels janky, just like Samplitude which I also have. I work with MIDI a lot and I like looping and editing on the fly, the automation process is as simple as it gets. You can drive the mixer into the red with no audible penalty. But it's heavy and slow to load up. Therefore you need a strong computer to run it. And we know about it's superb audio engine which unfortunately comes at a cost.
This is pretty much my experience exactly, though I haven't been using Cubase quite as long as you. Cubase is heavy and slow to start (and I hate the dongle), but for what I need, it simply works and feels intuitive. The chord and arranger tracks alone are massive compositional aids that I use weekly, if not daily.

I have Reaper as well, but it doesn't get nearly as much use. In principle, it should be perfect for me--it's lightweight, fast, and very flexible. But in practice, "janky" is a good word for it. I might put up with that for some major stability or workflow benefits, but I don't see those.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can Reaper do score-to-picture like Cubase and Logic?

I apologize for not reading through reams of threads on this... I'm on a Mac and looking to change my scoring DAW from Logic. I mix in Pro Tools, as I need that handshake with others.

Thx
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 222f60c
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
Can Reaper do score-to-picture like Cubase and Logic?

I apologize for not reading through reams of threads on this... I'm on a Mac and looking to change my scoring DAW from Logic. I mix in Pro Tools, as I need that handshake with others.

Thx
Join me and Hans and score with Cubase...
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren ➡️
what size?
150 at 96/24 seemed to choke. I got up to 500 in Cubase once and it handled fine
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cubase Pro here, after years with PT, Logic and DP.

It just does everything I could ask, and there seems to be something almost weekly it can do that I didn't know it could.

For the record I'm on Mac, and have never had a problem with the program opening and searching for a dongle etc.

It's really stable software and with the shortcuts I've created I get work done way faster than I ever did in PT. As far as opening slowly, no slower than PT that's for sure.

It's looks great, love the control room, the ability to slow down sessions, play a difficult part in, then go back to normal speed, etc., articulations, just on and on. And now with the AXR T interface the integration is just great.

Love the drag and drop of instruments too.

Someone mentioned it presents the user with way too much information, but then you know, so does the cockpit of an Airbus. Doesn't seem to bother the pilots. I like all the info. DP does the same thing.

I do 'traditional" (as opposed to loop based) music and scoring to picture, so maybe it's not great for that stuff, have no idea.

Very happy user.

Last edited by oceantracks; 10th November 2020 at 08:53 PM..
Deleted 222f60c
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️

Someone mentioned it presents the user with way too much information, but then you know, so does the cockpit of an Airbus. Doesn't seem to bother the pilots. I like all the info. DP does the same thing.
...and all that info is scalable. Most is customisable anyway..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Did you ever demo Studio one?

Quote:
Cubase Pro here, after years with PT, Logic and DP.

It just does everything I could ask, and there seems to be something almost weekly it can do that I didn't know it could.

For the record I'm on Mac, and have never had a problem with the program opening and searching for a dongle etc.

It's really stable software and with the shortcuts I've created I get work done way faster than I ever did in PT. As far as opening slowly, no slower than PT that's for sure.

It's looks great, love the control room, the ability to slow down sessions, play a difficult part in, then go back to normal speed, etc., articulations, just on and on. And now with the AXR T interface the integration is just great.

Love the drag and drop of instruments too.

I do 'traditional" (as opposed to loop based) music and scoring to picture, so maybe it's not great for that stuff, have no idea.

Very happy user.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren ➡️
Did you ever demo Studio one?
Yeah, lacked too many things I need. Nice otherwise.
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Curious... what did it lack?

Quote:
Yeah, lacked too many things I need. Nice otherwise.
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Off the top my head, no one button disable of tempo for the entire session, no articulation maps, no Control Room, not crazy about it's look. Not sure about it's customization options but Cubase excels at making the program work like you want it to. From what I read Studio One doesn't perform as well with VIs but I have no way of confirming that.

Cubase just feels like a more well developed program, as well it should because it's been around for 200 years.

I will say that because I always considered the company to be on the more semi pro side of things (hey that's just me) I expected to hate the demo I tried awhile back, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually very nice overall.

Again, now that I'm using the AXR4T Steinberg interface the integration directly into the project window Cubase is pretty wonderful as well.
📝 Reply