The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
From Studio One 4 back to Cubase 10.5
Old 21st June 2020
From Studio One 4 back to Cubase 10.5

Well i have both. But i really never learned Cubase 9. Anyway i bought 10.5 and starting learning the key commands. Now it is much easier to work with it.
I am really liking it. Anybody went from Studio one to Cubase?
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Well i have both. But i really never learned Cubase 9. Anyway i bought 10.5 and starting learning the key commands. Now it is much easier to work with it.
I did and I really like Nuendo 10, but I'm in Post for my day job and I'm slowly migrating from Pro Tools. I use(d) Studio One 4 for music, and I love it, but I need more/deeper midi tools.

I'm happy that I switched, even though there are some bugs, there's nothing show stopping for me. It has ARA 2 integration and that's what made me make the move. S1 has it too, and I thought I wouldn't ever part with it, but when Steinberg implemented it, I knew I could make the move.

tg
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I own Studio One v4 and have tried to use it as my main DAW. It has a lot of great workflow features and isn't bogged down by 30 years of legacy code the way Cubase is. However, I keep coming back to Cubase if for no other reason than Studio One still (!) doesn't record SysEx (at least as far as I know). I use mostly hardware synths and it's essential that I be able to dump the synth patches at the start of their Cubase MIDI tracks so that I can recall the right sounds when I open up the song again.

Plus, I don't want to have to open a separate notation program if I want to see the score for my tracks. Having the Score Editor built into Cubase is much more convenient.
Old 2nd July 2020
I can see what you mean. But it is good having a all in one. But I heard Studio One does not handle external intrumentals well.
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Style Guide View Post
I own Studio One v4 and have tried to use it as my main DAW. It has a lot of great workflow features and isn't bogged down by 30 years of legacy code the way Cubase is. However, I keep coming back to Cubase if for no other reason than Studio One still (!) doesn't record SysEx (at least as far as I know). I use mostly hardware synths and it's essential that I be able to dump the synth patches at the start of their Cubase MIDI tracks so that I can recall the right sounds when I open up the song again.

Plus, I don't want to have to open a separate notation program if I want to see the score for my tracks. Having the Score Editor built into Cubase is much more convenient.
How do you dump patches into Cubase? I don’t really know how to use system and I need to do this.
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear
I have had Cubase for decades and I really hate it.
If I want to do something it always doesn't do it at first, even simple things. I nearly always have to adapt my workflow or my expectations.

So I switched to StudioOne.
Oh, it looks really great.

Ok, it's a music program, where can I see the notes of a MIDI track?
Ouch, it has no built-in note editor / viewer. What?
Are there MIDI tracks (that's the music)?
No!!

Ok, I often use old MIDI VST plugins. They are very practical for doing musical things.
Ouch, there is no MIDI effect rack for MIDI VST plugins. What?

Ok, I mainly use HW synth, so I have to use MIDI sysex.
Ouch, it doesn't support MIDI sysex.

It is ridiculous that today's generation of developers has lost the interest and know-how of the old MIDI days.

So I am ruefully back on Cubase!
But I see there the same tendencies.

best regards
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
I have had Cubase for decades and I really hate it.
If I want to do something it always doesn't do it at first, even simple things. I nearly always have to adapt my workflow or my expectations.

So I switched to StudioOne.
Oh, it looks really great.

Ok, it's a music program, where can I see the notes of a MIDI track?
Ouch, it has no built-in note editor / viewer. What?
Are there MIDI tracks (that's the music)?
No!!

Ok, I often use old MIDI VST plugins. They are very practical for doing musical things.
Ouch, there is no MIDI effect rack for MIDI VST plugins. What?

Ok, I mainly use HW synth, so I have to use MIDI sysex.
Ouch, it doesn't support MIDI sysex.

It is ridiculous that today's generation of developers has lost the interest and know-how of the old MIDI days.

So I am ruefully back on Cubase!
But I see there the same tendencies.

best regards
What do you mean by "note editor/viewer" and "midi tracks"? Because of course S1 has these things
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Style Guide View Post
However, I keep coming back to Cubase if for no other reason than Studio One still (!) doesn't record SysEx (at least as far as I know). I use mostly hardware synths and it's essential that I be able to dump the synth patches at the start of their Cubase MIDI tracks so that I can recall the right sounds when I open up the song again.

The new Studio One 5 that came out this week, has a build in score editor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
What do you mean by "note editor/viewer" and "midi tracks"? Because of course S1 has these things
I mean a score or a sheet music editor.
I would be very happy if you could show me one in StudioOne.
That is the main reason why I quit StudioOne.

By MIDI tracks I mean tracks that simply contain MIDI data and are not connected to an instrument.
StudioOne only has instrument tracks.
But you can create an instrument track without an instrument.
This is probably what I call a MIDI track.

best regards

PS: Oh, I actually see that the new StudioOne 5 has a built-in note editor.
I could give StudioOne another chance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have both. I prefer the mixing workflow of S1 to Cubase. If I have a group of tracks with plugins in the second fx slot in C10pro, I cannot select all those tracks and move the fx in slot 2 to slot 1 or slot 3. I can move fx easily in S1, but using my sound modules is a pain in S1.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can see what you mean. But it is good having a all in one. But I heard Studio One does not handle external intrumentals well.
You heard right. They have been prejudiced against them from day one and always will be. It is fine with virtual instruments, but Presonus has always acted as if synths were dinosaurs and fail to account for today's low-cost but big sounding analogs like Minilogue for example. In fairness, Studio One has its virtues except handling external instrumentals definitely is not one of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Yeah I am a cubase user now. External instruments is important for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Love the Control Room feature of Cubase. Love the ease by which you can slow the entire session down to record a difficult part, then go back to normal speed. Studio One developers...even though ex Cubase guys...apparently forgot that being able to unlock your session tempo (as you can do in DP, Pro Tools, Logic and probably others) is a normal thing

I do like Studio One, when I downloaded the demo I was prepared to hate it ...well....I DO hate the look of the faders....because I think of PreSonus as a semi pro company. Sorry I just do. Just a vibe I get.

When they first came out with Studio One and said it was going to be a no holds barred DAW, I politely wrote them and asked if they planned to add basic Quicktime movie ability to it, and they wrote back and said "If we get enough requests..." LOL

But I was pleasantly surprised with the demo, it was pretty nice, although some very basic things were missing to me. The new version 5 might be worth another look, but I've been with Cubase a little over a year now, after decades with Pro Tools, and am pretty happy.

This coupled with the fact that Cubase 11 should be right around the corner means I doubt I'll move.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Love the Control Room feature of Cubase. Love the ease by which you can slow the entire session down to record a difficult part, then go back to normal speed. Studio One developers...even though ex Cubase guys...apparently forgot that being able to unlock your session tempo (as you can do in DP, Pro Tools, Logic and probably others) is a normal thing
Huh? I've been slowing down the entire arrangement to play difficult parts in S1 2.6 for six years. You must have inadvertently checked some option to lock the tempo, cause that's not the default
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Huh? I've been slowing down the entire arrangement to play difficult parts in S1 2.6 for six years. You must have inadvertently checked some option to lock the tempo, cause that's not the default
Studio One does not have a button ...like others...to unlock what most DAWS call the "conductor track" which is the track where the session tempo...or tempos...are stored. In PT for instance the session can be at 140 BPM, click the button, now you are in "Manual Tempo" mode and can pull it up or down wherever you want. When done, click the button to go back to the Conductor Track. If you want to play in a difficult guitar part slower, as in other DAWS like DP, Logic, Cubase, etc....you can do so (this involves putting the tracks in an "elastic audio" or "musical mode" or "Stretch" mode, terminology depending on the DAW.

It would be great if you could tell me how Studio One would handle this.

Let's say I have an audio file I have dragged into Studio One, I have done a manual tempo map of this file. I now have a section of the the file that has a very difficult guitar passage. Tell me how I slow the session down, record the guitar passage, and then go back to the original tempo of the song with the overdubbed guitar part now playing at normal speed.

Thx for any input here...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Studio One does not have a button ...like others...to unlock what most DAWS call the "conductor track" which is the track where the session tempo...or tempos...are stored. In PT for instance the session can be at 140 BPM, click the button, now you are in "Manual Tempo" mode and can pull it up or down wherever you want. When done, click the button to go back to the Conductor Track. If you want to play in a difficult guitar part slower, as in other DAWS like DP, Logic, Cubase, etc....you can do so (this involves putting the tracks in an "elastic audio" or "musical mode" or "Stretch" mode, terminology depending on the DAW.

It would be great if you could tell me how Studio One would handle this.

Let's say I have an audio file I have dragged into Studio One, I have done a manual tempo map of this file. I now have a section of the the file that has a very difficult guitar passage. Tell me how I slow the session down, record the guitar passage, and then go back to the original tempo of the song with the overdubbed guitar part now playing at normal speed.

Thx for any input here...
Yes Studio One has a tempo track, yes if you open the track inspector you can choose timestretch/follow/don't follow for each track's tempo mode. This is not new. Version 5 added a tape mode as well (change pitch with tempo).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes Studio One has a tempo track, yes if you open the track inspector you can choose timestretch/follow/don't follow for each track's tempo mode. This is not new. Version 5 added a tape mode as well (change pitch with tempo).
A tempo track is not the problem....you would have to use one of other DAWS to see what I mean....Tempo track and ability to go to manual tempo mode are two different things.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A tempo track is not the problem....you would have to use one of other DAWS to see what I mean....Tempo track and ability to go to manual tempo mode are two different things.
OK, so you weren't clear a few posts back, you were trying to say you didn't like the way Studio One handles tempo tracks compared to Cubase. What you said was you couldn't slow a song down to record a difficult part. I respect your opinion that Cubase does it better -- I don't really use the tempo track in either, so I can't comment -- but as the other poster said, you can accomplish what you want in S1, maybe just not as elegantly as you can get it done in Cubase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
OK, so you weren't clear a few posts back, you were trying to say you didn't like the way Studio One handles tempo tracks compared to Cubase. What you said was you couldn't slow a song down to record a difficult part. I respect your opinion that Cubase does it better -- I don't really use the tempo track in either, so I can't comment -- but as the other poster said, you can accomplish what you want in S1, maybe just not as elegantly as you can get it done in Cubase.
No I was saying S1, unlike Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic and Digital Performer, has no way to disengage it's "tempo track" and go to manual mode. Making slowing sessions down temporarily a nightmare, in that you would literally have to make a note of what the original tempo was so you could type it back in, rather than just click a button to get back to your normal tempo, and map if there are multiple tempos.

Again, I posted the following scenario and asked if anyone could tell me how this would get done in S1, and I still haven't gotten a reply.

"Let's say I have an audio file I have dragged into Studio One, I have done a manual tempo map of this file. I now have a section of the the file that has a very difficult guitar passage. Tell me how I slow the session down, record the guitar passage, and then go back to the original tempo of the song with the overdubbed guitar part now playing at normal speed."
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Again, I posted the following scenario and asked if anyone could tell me how this would get done in S1, and I still haven't gotten a reply.

"Let's say I have an audio file I have dragged into Studio One, I have done a manual tempo map of this file. I now have a section of the the file that has a very difficult guitar passage. Tell me how I slow the session down, record the guitar passage, and then go back to the original tempo of the song with the overdubbed guitar part now playing at normal speed."
I wonder how do you do this in Cubase?
I think with a manual complex tempo map it is there also no easy task.
(You could select all tempo events in the tempo track and shift them down?)

best regards
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
I wonder how do you do this in Cubase?
I think with a manual complex tempo map it is there also no easy task.
(You could select all tempo events in the tempo track and shift them down?)

best regards
In Cubase, you choose "Bounce Selection" under the Audio menu after highlighting the reference track. It will ask you "Replace Events?" (meaning, do you want your session tempo information you've created to be embedded in the new bounce)....you say "YES."

Then you put that original reference track you've just bounced into MUSICAL MODE, as well as any other tracks in your session you want to hear while recording the new part....(I often don't use any, just the part I'm doing and the ref).

Now disengage the the tempo track on the Transport bar (this is what you can't do in Studio One).....and slow it down to whatever you want. Play the new guitar part in, put THAT new audio into "Musical Mode" and go back to normal tempo by turning the tempo track back on (transport bar). Done.

I do this all the time. The easiest program is Logic for this ...just one big button that says Vari Speed lol

Important to note. Programs like Cubase and DP have no idea what the tempo is when you drag an audio file into the session. So that's why bouncing it and embedding your tempo into the file is necessary. Pro Tools doesn't seem to care one way or the other, you just put tracks in Polyphonic mode, disengage the tempo track, and go.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
No I was saying S1, unlike Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic and Digital Performer, has no way to disengage it's "tempo track" and go to manual mode.
Well it does actually. You can completely ignore the temp track. In the info pane you can set "Tempo" to "Don't follow". This actually works similar to the way it works in Cubase, from what I recall (but stopped using Cubase after 8.5)

On a MIDI track you can switch the timebase from beats to seconds, just like how Protools handles it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle007 View Post
Well it does actually. You can completely ignore the temp track. In the info pane you can set "Tempo" to "Don't follow". This actually works similar to the way it works in Cubase, from what I recall (but stopped using Cubase after 8.5)

On a MIDI track you can switch the timebase from beats to seconds, just like how Protools handles it.
Not the same thing, but thanks..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
In Cubase, you choose "Bounce Selection" under the Audio menu after highlighting the reference track. It will ask you "Replace Events?" (meaning, do you want your session tempo information you've created to be embedded in the new bounce)....you say "YES."

Then you put that original reference track you've just bounced into MUSICAL MODE, as well as any other tracks in your session you want to hear while recording the new part....(I often don't use any, just the part I'm doing and the ref).

Now disengage the the tempo track on the Transport bar (this is what you can't do in Studio One).....and slow it down to whatever you want. Play the new guitar part in, put THAT new audio into "Musical Mode" and go back to normal tempo by turning the tempo track back on (transport bar). Done.

I do this all the time. The easiest program is Logic for this ...just one big button that says Vari Speed lol

Important to note. Programs like Cubase and DP have no idea what the tempo is when you drag an audio file into the session. So that's why bouncing it and embedding your tempo into the file is necessary. Pro Tools doesn't seem to care one way or the other, you just put tracks in Polyphonic mode, disengage the tempo track, and go.
So I think what you're saying is, Studio One is missing the one-click return to original tempo button.

Everything else is easier in S1. Select all the tracks you need, change them to timestretch mode (or tape mode if you want to drop pitch as well) - or set it as your default so you don't have to do anything. Slow the tempo, record, return the tempo. If there's tempo changes, you can select all the points on the tempo track and drop/raise them together.

If you're interested in S1 maybe do a feature request for a one-click return to tempo mode.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I think what you're saying is, Studio One is missing the one-click return to original tempo button.

Everything else is easier in S1. Select all the tracks you need, change them to timestretch mode (or tape mode if you want to drop pitch as well) - or set it as your default so you don't have to do anything. Slow the tempo, record, return the tempo. If there's tempo changes, you can select all the points on the tempo track and drop/raise them together.

If you're interested in S1 maybe do a feature request for a one-click return to tempo mode.
Sounds like you would have to make DARN sure you remember what the original tempo was in order to type it back in and return to tempo, right? That's what the "button" approach avoids, turning it back to the tempo track puts it back where it was with one click.

Would like to try this in Studio One, but I demoed it back in December and now it won't let me demo it again. I wrote Presonus days ago, have not heard back...thanks though sounds somewhat encouraging.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Another way - hold alt while clicking and dragging the end of an event. This will stretch it as you drag it out. You can drag it out as slow as you want. Then record, and alt/drag them back in, as long as the end point was on a grid line before, you'll get it back perfectly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another way - hold alt while clicking and dragging the end of an event. This will stretch it as you drag it out. You can drag it out as slow as you want. Then record, and alt/drag them back in, as long as the end point was on a grid line before, you'll get it back perfectly.
Interesting will give this a try! Thanks much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It does slow down the audio, but ...oddly, the click stays at the original session tempo lol

No joy there...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It does slow down the audio, but ...oddly, the click stays at the original session tempo lol

No joy there...
Print the click and do the same
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Copy your part to a scratch pad slow down the tempo in the scratch pad and do your recordings and copy the recordings back to the main arrangement view.

Not as elegant as Logics Varispeed but a workaround.

Last edited by sambosun; 6 days ago at 10:46 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear